If you’re looking for the easiest way to make air fryer whole chicken, try my recipe! Use minimal ingredients to make a filling and comforting main dish.
I recently discovered that cooking a whole chicken in the air fryer isn’t complicated! If you’ve been wanting to cook air fryer rotisserie chicken but don’t have a massive air fryer at home, you’ve likely come to terms with the fact that you can’t do it.
I decided to try it in my Cosori 6.8 quart Dual Blaze Air Fryer, as you can fit a 5lb whole chicken in the air fryer basket with no issues.
I’m pleased to say that the results of this air fryer roast chicken were phenomenal. With crispy skin on the outside and a perfectly tender, juicy inside, this is seriously the best chicken ever.
Follow this air fryer whole chicken recipe if you’re craving roasted chicken that’s full of flavor, has a crispy skin, tastes just like it was baked in the oven, and is naturally keto. It’s absolutely delicious and is made with a homemade dry seasoning blend that is incredibly easy to make with spices you likely have a home.
Add baked chicken in the air fryer to your weeknight dinner lineup!
How to Cook a Whole Chicken in an Air Fryer
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Preheat your air fryer to 360 degrees F. Prep the chicken and remove the giblets (if any) as well as the neck. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels.
STEP TWO: Make your dry rub by combining the black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika in a small bowl. Apply the spice mixture all over the entire chicken, making sure that the seasonings stick.
STEP THREE: Place the bird into the air fryer with the breast side up and air fry the whole chicken for 40 minutes. Flip, then cook for 15-20 minutes more.
STEP FOUR: Insert a meat thermometer at the thickest part of the thigh to check that the internal temperature is 165 degrees F.
STEP FIVE: Remove your air fryer rotisserie chicken from the basket and let the chicken rest for about 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Tips to Make the Best Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Pat large chicken dry before adding in the dry rub seasoning mix. This will allow the baked chicken in the air fryer to get extra crispy.
- Use an alarm thermometer and stick it into the whole chicken. This will beep when the chicken hits 165 degrees so it doesn’t overcook.
- Add 1 to 2 pieces of bread under the basket inside the drawer to help catch any drippings. You can also add ¼ cup of water to the drawer instead. This helps keep your air fryer from smoking.
- For extra crispy skin, increase the temperature to 400 degrees for the last 2 to 3 minutes of cooking.
- To get the best air fryer chicken possible, tie the legs of the chicken together using cooking twine. While not mandatory, it does help to keep the inside of the chicken moist and keeps it from drying out.
What to Serve With Roast Chicken in the Air Fryer
- Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Veggies
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- Easy Homemade Garlic Bread
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- Air Fryer Butternut Squash
Variations to Rotisserie Chicken in the Air Fryer
- Use a different-sized chicken. This air fried rotisserie style roasted chicken recipe works great with a 5lbs full chicken, 3lbs whole chicken, and even with half a chicken!
- Switch up the seasonings. Part of what makes this a great recipe is that it’s so versatile. Consider adding Italian seasoning, smoked paprika instead of regular, or some added lemon zest to the mix.
- Consider making marinated chicken. A marinade will infuse your whole roast chicken with even more flavor.
How Long to Cook a Whole Chicken in the Air Fryer
You’ll have to air fry whole chicken for about 55 minutes.
Be sure to remember to test the internal temperature before you remove it from the air fryer basket to avoid any foodborne illnesses.
How to Reheat a Whole Chicken in the Air Fryer
Now that you know how to air fry chicken, it’s time to learn how to reheat any leftovers. Luckily you can do it through air frying!
Simply heat at 360 degrees F for 5-8 minutes until warm.
Store your air fryer roast chicken in an airtight container in the fridge, where it will keep for up to 2 days.
You can learn more about reheating a rotisserie chicken in the air fryer here.
More Air Fryer Chicken Recipes
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings With Dry Rub
- Air Fryer Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Air Fryer Cornish Hen
- Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- Air Fryer Whole Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
- Ninja Foodi Whole Chicken
- Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks
- Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- Air Fryer Bone in Chicken Breasts
Recipes to Make With Rotisserie Chicken:
- Chicken Bacon Wrap
- 5-Minute Buffalo Chicken Wrap
- Chicken Caesar Wrap
- Chicken Fajita Wrap
- Southwest Chicken Wrap
- Buffalo Chicken Pasta Bake
- 4.5 lb to 5lb whole raw chicken
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat your air fryer to 360 degrees.
- Remove the neck and giblets from the chicken cavity. Pat the chicken dry.
- Mix the black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika in a bowl then rub it all over the chicken.
- Place the whole chicken into the air fryer breast side down and cook for 40 minutes*. Flip the chicken and cook breast side up for another 15 to 20 minutes. The chicken is done when it hits 165 degrees F at its thickest point.
- Remove the chicken from the air fryer, let sit for 5 minutes, then serve!
*place 1 to 2 slices of bread OR 1/4 cup water under the basket inside the drawer of the air fryer to avoid the air fryer from smoking
How to Cook a Frozen Whole Chicken in the Air Fryer
1. Let the chicken sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat your air fryer to 360 degrees and add seasoning as noted above.
3. Cook the chicken breast side down for 40 minutes, then flip and cook for an additional 20 to 25 minutes until it hits 165 degrees. Cook in additional 2-minute increments if more time is needed (dependent on chicken size).
4. Remove from the air fryer and enjoy!
How to Reheat Rotisserie Chicken in the Air Fryer
1. Preheat air fryer to 360 degrees.
2. Cook the leftover whole/rotisserie chicken for 5 to 8 minutes until chicken is thoroughly heated.
3. Remove from the air fryer and enjoy!
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 491Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 195mgSodium: 158mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 39g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.