This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclaimer here.
This easy air fryer tilapia is a healthy and delicious dinner that can be ready in less than 20 minutes! Enjoy perfect, flaky fish from fresh or frozen fillets.
It’s easy to get my family to eat fish if there’s breading involved. After all, who can resist that crunch? But I don’t always want the hassle, calories, or carbs that go along with breading. That’s why I was so happy when I discovered delicious Air Fryer Tilapia!
Even though there’s no breading, my family still devoured this dish. It turns out that cooking tilapia in the air fryer with some simple seasoning is all we ever needed. Best of all, you can use fresh or frozen fillets, and the whole meal takes less than 20 minutes to make.
Here’s what I’m going to teach you in this post:
- How to make this air fryer tilapia recipe
- How to prep your tilapia fillets before freezing
- How to cook frozen tilapia in the air fryer
- How to reheat tilapia in the air fryer
- How to know when your tilapia is done cooking
- How to store leftover tilapia
- What to serve with air fryer tilapia
Since we don’t use any breading, this tilapia air fryer recipe is even suitable for a low carb or keto diet! It’s a simple, tasty way to add healthy fish to your weekly menu.
What Does Tilapia Taste Like?
Tilapia is a very mild white fish with a slightly sweet flavor. You won’t get a fishy or fatty taste like salmon, mackerel, or anchovies. By comparison, tilapia is very light.
If you enjoy eating fish and other types of seafood, be sure you check out my collection of the best air fryer fish recipes!
How To Make Air Fryer Tilapia
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F.
STEP TWO: Place the tilapia fillets on a large plate. Drizzle with olive oil.
STEP THREE: In a small bowl, mix the paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper.
STEP FOUR: Sprinkle the seasoning mixture evenly over the fillets.
STEP SIX: Cook for 10 minutes, flipping the fillets halfway through. Serve with lemon wedges, if desired.
How to Cook Frozen Tilapia in the Air Fryer
Before freezing your tilapia, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with the seasoning mixture like usual. Then, instead of placing it in the air fryer, seal the fillets in plastic zipper bags.
Wrap the bags in foil, then store them in the freezer until you’re ready to cook.
To cook the frozen fillets:
STEP ONE: Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F. Spray the inner basket with cooking oil.
STEP TWO: Remove the fillets from the tin foil and plastic bag, then place the frozen tilapia in the air fryer in a single layer. Spritz with cooking oil.
STEP THREE: Cook for 13 minutes until heated through, flipping the fillets halfway.
STEP FOUR: Remove them from the air fryer and enjoy!
How to Reheat Tilapia in the Air Fryer
Have some leftover tilapia? I always think the air fryer is the best way to reheat without overcooking!
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F.
- Spray the inner basket with cooking oil.
- Place the fillets in a single layer.
- Cook for 4 minutes until heated through.
How Do I Know When Tilapia is Done Cooking?
The key to perfectly cooked tilapia is getting the texture just right. When your fish is done, it should flake easily with a fork. If the fillets aren’t flaking, cook them another minute or two and check again.
Do I Need to Flip my Fish in the Air Fryer?
This step is not mandatory if you need to step away from the kitchen or handle something else. However, I do recommend flipping the fillets if possible so they cook evenly on both sides.
In an air fryer, the heat source and fan are on top of the appliance. Yes, the air is circulating, but the top will always be a little hotter. That’s why flipping your food is always good practice!
How Do I Store Leftover Tilapia?
If you have any extra fillets, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. They’re great for a quick, healthy bite throughout the week!
Ideas to Serve with Air Fryer Tilapia
- Air Fryer Asparagus with Garlic and Parmesan
- Air Fryer Broccoli Parmesan
- Air Fryer Corn on the Cob
- Air Fryer Frozen Sweet Potato Fries
- Air Fryer Zucchini Chips
Other Air Fryer Recipes You’ll Love:
Air Fryer Weight Watcher Points per serving: 8
- 4 tilapia fillets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For Serving (Optional)
- Lemon wedges
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees.
- Place the tilapia fillets on a large plate and drizzle with olive oil.
- In a small bowl, mix the paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Sprinkle seasoning evenly over the fillets then place in a single layer in the air fryer.
- Cook tilapia for 10 minutes, flipping the fillets halfway through cooking.
- Remove the tilapia from the air fryer, serve with lemon wedges (if desired), and enjoy!
How to Reheat Tilapia in the Air Fryer:
1. Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees.
2. Place leftover tilapia in the air fryer and cook for about 4 minutes, until heated through.
3. Remove them from the air fryer and enjoy!
How to Cook Frozen Tilapia in the Air Fryer:
1. Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees.
2. Spray basket with cooking oil, place the frozen tilapia in the air fryer, and cook for about 13 minutes, until heated through, then enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 287Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 97mgSodium: 361mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 45g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.