Short on time? This air fryer tuna melt can be ready in just 10 minutes and tastes like a classic tuna sandwich and a grilled cheese all in one! Perfect for a quick and delicious lunch.
When you want a quick meal that’s super tasty, satisfying, and oh-so-easy to prep, this air fryer tuna melt checks all the boxes!
It’s packed with gooey melted cheese and enough high-protein tuna to give you energy for hours.
This is a perfect lunchtime or busy weeknight dinner recipe that can be ready in just 10 minutes.
Just mix your ingredients while the air fryer preheats, layer your sandwich in the air fryer basket, and let it cook to melty perfection!
I love how tuna melts taste like a cross between a classic tuna sandwich and a grilled cheese.
It’s the kind of yummy combination that’s guaranteed to put a smile on your face!
How to a Tuna Melt in the Air Fryer
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Preheat the air fryer to 385 degrees F.
STEP TWO: In a medium bowl, mix together the tuna, mayo, celery, dill pickle, paprika, and salt and pepper, then set aside.
STEP THREE: Butter the bread, then place two slices butter-side-down into the hot air fryer.
STEP FOUR: Build the sandwiches by layering a slice of cheese on each slice of bread, followed by half the tuna salad mixture on each, followed by an additional slice of cheese, and finally the remaining slices of bread on top, butter-side-up.
STEP FIVE: Air fry for 5 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until the sandwich has reached your desired toastiness.
STEP SIX: Serve warm and enjoy!
What to Serve with Air Fryer Tuna Melts
- Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower
- BBQ Chicken Salad
- Broccoli Salad
- Tater Tots in the Air Fryer
- Quinoa Chickpea Salad
How Long to Cook Tuna Melts in the Air Fryer
The key to the perfect tuna melt is getting the bread toasted to your desired level and making sure the cheese is nice and melted.
You also want the tuna salad to be nice and warm all the way through.
This should only take about 5 minutes in the air fryer. I recommend checking on your sandwich at the 5-minute mark to see if the bread is done to your liking.
If you want it to be a little crispier on the outside, keep cooking for another minute or so. Just be sure to watch it so the butter doesn’t burn!
Tips for Making the Air Fryer Tuna Melt
- Start with a sturdy bread like sourdough, rye, or a thick slice of bread that will support the sandwich and get beautifully toasty in the air fryer.
- When choosing your cheese, don’t be afraid to mix it up! I like to use a combination of Monterey jack and cheddar cheese for a well-rounded flavor.
- Spread the butter evenly across the bread so you get a nice crust on the outside of your tuna sandwich with cheese.
- Remember to flip your tuna melt halfway through the cooking time to ensure the bread toasts to perfection and all of the cheese melts.
- Serve hot! You want the cheese to be gooey and the tuna salad to be warm all the way through.
More Delicious Sandwich Recipes
More Tuna Recipes
Other Air Fryer Fish Recipes You’ll Love:
- Air Fryer Salmon
- Air Fryer Shrimp Tacos
- Air Fryer Crab Cakes
- Air Fryer Cod
- Air Fryer Mahi Mahi
- Air Fryer Scallops
- 1 can tuna, drained
- 3-4 tablespoons mayo
- 1 stalk celery, small diced
- ¼ cup minced dill pickle
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices sturdy bread (sourdough or rye)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 slices cheese (I used a mix of monterey jack and cheddar cheese)
- Preheat the air fryer to 385 F.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the tuna, mayo, celery, dill pickle, paprika, salt and pepper; set aside.
- Butter the bread, then place two slices butter side down into the hot air fryer.
- Build the sandwiches by layering a slice of cheese on each slice of bread, followed by half the tuna salad mixture on each, followed by an additional slice of cheese, and finally the remaining slices of bread butter side up.
- Air fry for 5 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until desired toastiness is achieved.
- Serve warm.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 798Total Fat: 56gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 29gCholesterol: 134mgSodium: 1575mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 39g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.