Get ready to fall in love with air fryer grilled cheese! Perfectly-toasted bread stuffed with ooey-gooey melted cheese is easy comfort food for the whole family.
I love a good grilled cheese as much as the next person, but I definitely don’t love standing over a hot stove, baby-sitting each sandwich to get it just right. So once I saw how easy it is to make air fryer grilled cheese, I was hooked!
Just assemble the sandwich, spread a little butter on the outside, and let the air fryer handle the rest.
You’ll flip the sandwich once to ensure it gets crispy on both sides, but that’s it! The result is perfectly-toasted bread stuffed with hot, melty cheese every time.
Here’s what I’m going to teach you in this post:
- How to make the easiest, most delicious grilled cheese in the air fryer
- The best cheeses for the ultimate air fryer sandwich
- Tips and tricks to keep the bread in place as it cooks
- What to serve with air fryer grilled cheese sandwiches
- Ways to amp up your typical grilled cheese
This recipe is a lifesaver when it comes to meals the whole family loves. My kids beg me to make grill cheese sandwiches in the air fryer at least once a week! And I’m happy to say yes when it’s this easy and delicious.
How to Make Grilled Cheese in the Air Fryer
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Preheat the air fryer to 340 degrees F. You can make this recipe in an air fryer basket or air fryer oven (as shown).
STEP TWO: Place two pieces of cheese on a slice of bread, then cover with the other slice.
STEP THREE: Spread butter on the outside of both pieces of bread.
STEP FOUR: Place the sandwich in the basket and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Secure with toothpicks or a small wire rack if necessary. I recommend this for basket air fryers.
STEP FIVE: Flip the sandwich, then cook for another 3 to 4 minutes until crispy and golden.
What is the Best Cheese to Make Grilled Cheese With?
To be honest, I don’t think there’s a “bad” cheese to make grilled cheese with. Try them all if you want to! If you’re looking for suggestions, here are a few of my favorites:
- Cheddar: classic with just the right amount of flavor
- Mozzarella: never fails to give you that ooey-gooey texture
- American: easy to melt with a mild, cozy taste
- Havarti: superb melting with a flavor between cheddar and provolone
- Provolone: very creamy and always a crowd-pleaser
- Gruyère: great for mature palettes that are looking for a more complex flavor
- Pepper Jack: perfect if you want a little kick!
How to Keep the Bread From Flying Around in the Air Fryer
Have you ever heard of a toasted cheese sandwich? It’s similar to a grilled cheese, except it’s served open-faced. And if you don’t help the top piece of bread stay in place in the air fryer, you may unintentionally end up with one!
When you start cooking your grilled cheese in the air fryer, I suggest using toothpicks or a small wire rack to hold the top piece of bread in place.
Once it’s time to flip the sandwiches, you can remove the rack or toothpicks since the melted cheese will help hold everything together.
What to Serve With Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- Air Fried French Fries
- Broccoli Salad
- Instant Pot Glazed Carrots Recipe
- Quinoa Chickpea Salad
- The Best Corn on the Cob in the Air Fryer
Can I Reheat a Grilled Cheese in the Air Fryer
You bet! The air fryer is a great way to warm up leftover grilled cheese, so the bread keeps that crunchy texture while the cheese gets perfectly melty.
- Preheat the air fryer to 340 degrees F.
- Lay the leftover grilled cheese in the air fryer basket.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes or until heated through.
Do You Use Mayo or Butter For Grilled Cheese?
I prefer to make this recipe with butter, but you could certainly make your air fryer grilled cheese with mayo if you like!
Just spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on the outside of the bread in place of the butter.
Alternatively, you could also use a combination of the two. Let the butter soften to room temperature in a ramekin, add some mayo, mix until well combined, and spread over your bread for the best of both worlds!
Ways to Amp Up Your Normal Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Add a pre-cooked protein like ham, bacon, or prosciutto
- Layer on fresh ingredients like tomato, spinach, avocado, or even sliced granny smith apples
- Spread some pesto on the inside of the bread
- Punch up the flavor with roasted garlic, caramelized onions, or sun-dried tomatoes
- Give your sandwich a kick by adding sliced jalapeños or a sprinkling of red pepper flakes
Other Air Fryer Comfort Food Recipes You’ll Love:
Love air frying? Join our newsletter! You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, or join our free Facebook Air Frying Community.
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich
This air fryer grilled cheese is crispy and golden on the outside, gooey and melty on the inside, and so easy to make! Each sandwich cooks to perfection in less than 10 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 2 slices cheese, your choice
- 2 slices bread, your choice
- Preheat the air fryer to 340 degrees.
- Make a sandwich with the bread, placing the two pieces of cheese on the inside.
- Spread both sides of the outside of the sandwich with the butter.
- Place in the basket and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side (6-8 minutes total) until golden, watching carefully as the wattage of your air fryer can change the cooking time.
How to reheat a grilled cheese:
1. Preheat your air fryer to 340 degrees.
2. Place grilled cheese in your air fryer and warm for 3-4 minutes or until hot.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 493Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 86mgSodium: 761mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 18g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.