Looking for an easy recipe for those busy days? Don’t miss my Instant Pot carrots! Steamed carrots in the IP are made with a brown sugar and butter glaze that’s sure to please.
I’m always looking for easy and delicious vegetable sides that my kids love. All the better if it’s simple to make and doesn’t require me to spend hours in the kitchen.
That’s why I love using an electric pressure cooker like the Instant Pot — it features all the beauty of a slow cooker but promises quick cooking. No more standing over the stovetop!
If you, like me, are looking for a super easy way to cook carrots, you’re going to love this Instant Pot carrots recipe. Because they’re pressure cooked, they come together in less than half an hour.
Not to mention, the melted butter and brown sugar glaze that highlights carrots’ naturally sweet taste is simply irresistible.
Making carrots that the whole family will love doesn’t have to be a chore. You’ll prep and cook everything in the high pressure cooker which means cleanup is so easy. It’s the best way to prepare a carrot side dish — without a steamer basket.
You can also use any kind of carrots you’d like. I have a preference for Instant Pot baby carrots, but you can also use full-size or that gorgeous rainbow variety!
I made this recipe using my Instant Pot 6-Quart Duo Nova. It’s the perfect size for my family of four and makes releasing the steam so much easier than the standard Instant Pot.
How to Make Instant Pot Glazed Carrots
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Place the carrots and water in the inner pot of your Instant Pot, close the lid, and cook on High pressure for 4 minutes.
STEP TWO: When they’re done, carefully perform a quick pressure release by turning the valve to the venting position. Drain the carrots and remove them from the IP.
STEP THREE: Set your Instant Pot to Sauté. Add the brown sugar, butter, and salt, and mix until the butter is melted.
STEP FOUR. Incorporate the cooked carrots and stir to coat evenly. Serve your pressure cooker carrots immediately and enjoy!
How Long to Cook Carrots in the Instant Pot
All it takes is about 15 minutes! Cook the carrots on High pressure for 4 minutes to encourage steaming in the IP, then remove them to prepare your glaze.
Once it’s done, all you need to do is simply add the veggies with the glaze and stir to coat. Instant Pot glazed carrots come together in about 20 minutes, prep time included.
Tips to Get the Best Instant Pot Carrots
- Opt for baby carrots to cut down on prep time. You can certainly use whole carrots or sliced carrots instead, but I love how easy baby carrots are.
- Looking for softer carrots? Let them cook for a bit longer!
- You can easily double the amount of carrots without having to adjust the cooking time.
- Be careful when you do the quick release as you could burn yourself.
What to Serve With Instant Pot Carrots
- Air Fryer Rice
- Ninja Foodi Mashed Potatoes
- Cast Iron Chicken Breast
- Air Fryer Roast Beef
- Air Fryer Asparagus
- Air Fryer Broccoli
Variations to Pressure Cooker Carrots
- Add more sweetness to the glaze with some vanilla extract and honey.
- Ditch the glaze completely and use fresh herbs, salt and pepper, and lemon juice instead.
- Serve with a healthy helping of parmesan cheese for cheesy Instant Pot baby carrots.
- This carrot in the Instant Pot dish would also taste wonderful with some extra veggies added to the mix!
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Carrots in the Instant Pot
Store leftover carrots in an airtight container in the fridge, where they will keep for 3-5 days. You can also freeze pressure cooker carrots — when properly stored they will last for up to 3 months.
Reheat in the microwave in 30-second bursts until completely warm.
How Long Does it Take for Carrots to Soften When Cooking?
It depends on the cooking method you use. This carrot in the Instant Pot recipe requires about 15 minutes of cooking time, but as mentioned you can also let them steam for a bit longer if you want extra soft results.
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Potato Salad
- Instant Pot Navy Bean Soup
- Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
- Instant Pot Tortellini Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks
More Carrot Recipes You’ll Love:
- Air Fryer Carrot Chips
- Roasted Carrots and Asparagus
- Air Fryer Baby Carrots
- Air Fryer Carrot Fries
- Roasted Air Fryer Carrots
- 1 pound baby carrots (or regular carrots, peeled, and cut into baby carrot sized pieces)
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Add the carrots and water to the Instant Pot.
- Close the lid and cook on high pressure (manual) for 4 minutes.
- Once it's done cooking, carefully complete a quick release.
- Drain the carrots from the Instant Pot and remove them from the pot.
- Press cancel on the Instant Pot and then press "saute." Add in the brown sugar, butter, and salt and mix until the butter is completely melted.
- Add the carrots back into the Instant Pot with the brown sugar mixture and stir to coat.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
*If you would like to double this recipe, double the ingredients, but keep the cooking time the same.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 199Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 451mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 3gSugar: 20gProtein: 1g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.