Looking for an easy way to cook up roast dinner? Look no further than my air fryer roast beef recipe! It comes together quickly and easily — it’s ideal for busy at-home chefs!
Nothing says special quite like a roast dinner. Growing up, we would eat Sunday roast basically every week, and I always looked forward to spending time with my family around the table. Just like rotisserie chicken, there’s something about a hearty home-cooked meal that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.
Roast beef has always been a mainstay at parties too — and while I love the flavor, I don’t love how long it takes to prepare. You won’t have to worry about any of that when you make it in the air fryer! This recipe comes together in about half the time it would take in the oven.
Perfectly cooked roast beef is possible, and it doesn’t have to take you all day. Whether you make it for holiday dinner, special occasions, or as a meaningful meal for your family, this easy recipe for air fryer beef roast is a winner!
How to Cook a Beef Roast in the Air Fryer
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Take your 2 to 3lb roast beef out of the fridge and baste it with oil. Apply salt and pepper all over the meat so that it’s coated evenly. Let it sit out for about 30 minutes so that it comes to room temperature. Preheat your air fryer to 380 degrees F while you wait.
STEP TWO: Place the roast in air fryer basket and air fry roast beef for 40-42 minutes, making sure to flip it about 15 minutes into cooking.
STEP THREE: Use a meat thermometer to gauge the roast beef temperature. When the internal temperature hits about 5 degrees under your desired levels, transfer the air fryer roast beef to a cutting board to rest. As a reference point, rare beef is 125 degrees F, medium rare is 135 degrees F, medium well is 150 degrees F, and well done is 160 degrees F.
STEP FOUR: Allow the air fryer beef roast to rest for at least 10 minutes. Cut into thin slices and enjoy!
What Kind of Beef Can You Roast in the Air Fryer?
Wondering about the best meat to cook in the air fryer? I’m using top roast beef for this air fryer roast recipe, but you could also use these (sometimes) cheaper cuts:
- Beef bottom round
- Tri tip roast
You can also try rump roast, rolled rib roast, or beef joint, but they may be a bit too big, depending on the air fryer you have — all air fryers are different. That said, you can always use it to sear the meat before slow roasting in the oven! You’re better off roasting joint of beef in particular in a full-sized oven to achieve a tender roast.
How Long to Cook Roast in the Air Fryer
It only takes about 40-42 minutes to air fry roast beef. Traditional recipes usually take about an hour. You’ll save about 20 minutes when you make air fried roast beef!
I generally wouldn’t recommend cooking a fully frozen roast beef in the air fryer. Your best bet is to let it thaw in the fridge overnight before using.
What to Serve with Air Fryer Roast Beef
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Ninja Foodi Baked Potato
- Roasted Carrots and Asparagus
- Garlic Cheese Bread
- Broccoli Salad
Variations for Roast in Air Fryer
- Add some onion, garlic, and vegetables to the mix and cook them at the same time as your air fryer beef. You could also serve it with some fresh vegetables!
- Infuse extra flavor and use steak seasoning or a seasoning mix along with the salt and pepper.
- Use the roasted beef slices to create delicious sandwiches out of any leftovers. Who doesn’t love a roast beef sandwich?!
How to Reheat Roast Beef in the Air Fryer
Make sure to store your air fryer roast in an airtight container in the fridge. It will keep for 3-4 days.
To reheat, use your air fryer! Simply set the temperature to 375 degrees F and then place the air fryer meat in the basket. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until warmed through.
Air frying to reheat your beef is quick and easy — and you’ll get tender roast beef every time!
More Beef Recipes You’ll Love:
- Dutch Oven Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Ninja Foodi Beef Stew
- Beef Wellington Without Mushrooms
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Instant Pot Flank Steak
- Steak Fajitas
How to Cook Frozen Roast Beef in the Air Fryer
I used a 2 1/2 pound frozen roast beef for these directions, so a smaller or larger roast beef may require more or less time.
- Place the frozen roast beef inside the air fryer and turn to 330 degrees. I find very thick meats like this do not need to be preheated.
- Cook the beef roast for about 75 minutes, flipping and seasoning with a good amount of salt and some pepper on both sides when flipping.
- Remove the roast beef from the air fryer when the internal temperature hits 140 degrees F (medium rare).
- Let the meat rest for at least 10 minutes, then enjoy!
NOTE: While cooking frozen roast beef in the air fryer is completely possible, I found that cooking it from thawed room temperature resulted in the juiciest result.
More Air Fryer Beef Recipes
- Air Fryer Corned Beef
- Air Fryer Filet Mignon
- Air Fryer Cube Steak
- Air Fryer Tri Tip
- Frozen Beef Burgers in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Steak Bites
- 2 pounds roast beef (top roast)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- Take the beef roast out of the fridge then baste the oil on the beef roast and cover it with salt and pepper.
- Let the beef roast sit out for about 30 minutes until it reaches room temperature.
- Preheat your air fryer to 380 degrees.
- Place the roast beef in the air fryer and cook for 40 to 42 minutes, flipping with about 15 minutes into cooking.
- Remove the roast beef from the air fryer when it hits 5 degrees under needed temperature, let sit for at least 10 minutes, then enjoy!
How to Cook Frozen Roast Beef in the Air Fryer (I used 2 1/2 pounds):
1. Place the frozen roast beef in the air fryer and turn it to 330 degrees.
2. Cook the beef for 70 to 75 minutes until the roast beef hits 140 degrees at the very middle, flipping halfway and seasoning with salt and pepper when flipping.
3. Remove the roast beef from the air fryer, let sit for 10 minutes, then enjoy!
How to Reheat Roast Beef in the Air Fryer:
1. Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees.
2. Place the leftover roast beef slices in the air fryer and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until warmed thoroughly.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 196Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 1995mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 28g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.