Fresh, fluffy garlic cheese bread is one side dish that always becomes the highlight of the meal! Forget the frozen stuff – make this marvelous cheesy bread in less than 15 minutes.
There are some dishes I just have to serve with bread – pasta, stew, and baked chicken and beef, for example. While a plain baked loaf is all well and good, sometimes I just want to go all out and make something extraordinary!
And, as it turns out, “going all out” means just adding a few more ingredients to make the best cheesy garlic bread recipe!
What is Garlic Cheese Bread?
Garlic cheese bread is very similar to traditional garlic bread, but it’s topped with cheese!
It’s really easy to freeze homemade cheese garlic bread before baking, so you can save it for a rainy, lazy day.
Here’s what I’m going to teach you in this post:
- All the ingredients and steps needed to make robust, crunchy, garlicky cheesy bread.
- How to make the ultimate homemade cheesy garlic bread prep-ahead friendly.
- Some tips on how to go the extra mile and make your garlic cheese bread even better!
Melted cheese and a rich, herbal garlic spread can turn an average garlic bread loaf into an incredible comfort food!
How to Make Garlic Cheese Bread
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Meanwhile, cut the bread in half lengthwise and press down on the middle, opening it up. Place it on a baking sheet.
STEP TWO: Add the olive oil and butter (you can use unsalted or salted butter) to a pan on medium-low heat. Once the butter melts, add the minced garlic, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes. Saute for 2-3 minutes until garlic becomes fragrant.
I use my garlic chopper to chop garlic cloves quickly. I just toss it in the dishwasher afterward.
STEP THREE: Brush the garlic butter sauce on top of the bread and follow with a sprinkling of the shredded cheese. Grate fresh parmesan on top if desired.
STEP FOUR: Slide the sheet into the oven and bake for around 10 minutes until the edges brown.
STEP FIVE: Remove from the oven and garnish with fresh parsley. Slice and serve immediately while hot.
What is the Best Bread to Use For Garlic Cheese Bread?
This cheesy bread can be made with a few different bread options.
- Italian bread — it’s soft, fluffy, and wide which is perfect for large thin slices
- French Bread — the go-to for garlic bread with cheese because of its chewy thick crust
- Baguette — this will make super crunchy small slices
- Sourdough — this gives the garlic bread with cheese a slightly tangy flavor with a crispy crust
Is Garlic Cheese Bread Healthy?
I think of this garlic bread with cheese recipe as more of an indulgent side dish. It’s best served with foods like soup and stews to help add a few more carbs and fats to your meal.
Plus, the cheese will add a little protein to your day too!
What is the Best cheese For Garlic Bread?
Cheesy garlic bread can be made with a few different kinds of cheese. Mozzarella and cheddar are my favorites, but here are all the ones I also love to use.
- Mozzarella cheese
- Cheddar Cheese
- Colby Jack Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese — I like to top my garlic cheese bread recipe with a little grated or shredded parmesan
- Monterey Jack Cheese
- Italian Cheese blend
What Do You Eat With Cheesy Garlic Bread?
Homemade cheesy garlic bread is a flawless side dish for so many dishes.
- Baked Ziti
- Chicken Chipotle Pasta
- Pasta Alfredo
- Mac and Cheese with Cream Cheese (or this Instant Pot Mac and Cheese recipe)
- Beef Stew
- Tortellini Soup
- Navy Bean Soup
How Do You Reheat Cheesy Garlic Bread?
Preheat your air fryer to 330 degrees and cook the mozzarella garlic bread for 2 to 3 minutes until warmed.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, wrap the leftover cheese garlic bread in aluminum foil and bake for 10 to 15 minutes until warmed.
Tips & Variations For Making Cheesy Bread:
Here are even more ideas to make your garlic bread better!
- You can make the oil, butter, and herb spread ahead of time. Simply transfer to a bowl and refrigerate for up to 3 days before applying it to the bread! For easy spreading, microwave for about 20 seconds until the butter is melted.
- Use a simple storebought white pizza sauce, like Beano’s pizza sauce. I always keep this one in my fridge for an easy alternative.
- Use roasted garlic instead (I love this air fryer roasted garlic recipe!).
- Play around with other cheeses! Read the best cheeses to use for cheesy garlic bread above.
- Add fresh thyme, oregano, and/or parsley to the butter mixture to spread the herbal flavor throughout.
- Substitute the butter and oil for mayo for a creamier garlic cheese bread
Other Garlic And Bread Recipes You’ll Love:
- 1 fresh loaf of Italian or French Bread
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Small pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Parsley (optional)
- Freshly grated Parmesan (optional)
- Cut the bread in half lengthwise.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a pan on low/medium heat until the butter has melted.
- Add garlic, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until garlic is fragrant. Stir frequently, so the garlic does not brown or burn.*
- Push down the middle of the bread on both sides and place on a baking sheet.
- Baste oil and herb mixture on top of the bread and spread shredded cheese evenly over top. Add Parmesan if using.
- Cook in the oven for 9-11 minutes, until the degrees start to turn golden brown.
- Top with parsley if desired.
- Cut in slices and serve immediately.
*Sauce can be made ahead and stored in a refrigerator for up to 5 days. To use, microwave until mixture is melted then baste on top of bread as normal.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 264Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 403mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 8g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.