Serve up an Italian classic easily and quickly with this Instant Pot tortellini soup. It’s easy to make and features filling pasta, rich cream, vegetables, and flavorful sausage — the perfect weeknight dinner!
A big part of why I wanted to create this blog is to show my readers just how easy (and enjoyable!) cooking can be when you invest in the right equipment.
Normally complex recipes come together quickly and easily. Could you ask for anything more?!
My Instant Pot is another appliance that I can’t live without. It’s like an updated version of a Crockpot that does so much more.
You can use it to make main dishes and side dishes alike — or even dessert. One of my favorite meals to whip up in my IP is soup.
This brings me to today’s recipe: easy Instant Pot tortellini soup!
It’s comforting, hearty, and filled with yummy ingredients like Italian sausage, spinach, cream, and (of course) cheese-filled tortellini pasta.
It’s an easy take on a classic, and I’m sure you’re going to love it just as much as I do.
Here’s what I’m going to teach you in this post:
- The ingredients you’ll need to make Instant Pot sausage tortellini soup — most of them you likely already have in your pantry.
- How to use your IP (and which settings you’ll need) to make this easy Instant Pot tortellini soup at home.
- Storage and freezing instructions to help you keep your soup fresh.
If you’re looking for a hearty and easy-to-make weeknight dinner idea (especially when the temperatures start to drop), you’ve found it!
My Instant Pot tortellini soup is the perfect comfort food meal.
I made this recipe using my Instant Pot 6-Quart Duo Nova. It’s the perfect size for my family of four and makes releasing the steam so much easier than the standard Instant Pot.
How to Make Instant Pot Tortellini Soup
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Start by setting your Instant Pot to Sauté. Then, pour in the olive oil and allow it to heat. Once it’s ready, add the sausage and onion.
Stir and break up the meat as it cooks — you’ll know it’s ready when it starts to turn brown. Add the garlic and allow to cook for another minute or until fragrant. Now, press Cancel.
STEP TWO: Pour in the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper, then stir to combine. Secure and seal the lid of your IP. Cook the mixture on Manual High for 1 minute, allowing for a 5-minute natural pressure release.
After 5 minutes, release the rest of the pressure and remove the lid — be careful not to burn yourself with the hot steam.
STEP THREE: Press Sauté and stir in the tortellini. Bring the soup to a simmer and allow it to cook for 2 minutes. Add the cream and spinach, then loosely cover the pot with the lid. Let your soup simmer for 3-4 minutes.
Turn off the IP and serve your easy Instant Pot tortellini soup with a bit of fresh basil and a healthy helping of Parmesan cheese!
How To Store Instant Pot Tortellini Soup
You can store any leftover Instant Pot sausage tortellini soup in an airtight container in the fridge, where it will keep for up to 5 days.
Reheat leftovers in the microwave or on your stovetop.
Can You Freeze Instant Pot Sausage Tortellini Soup?
Yes! Simply follow the instructions above or on the recipe card below and allow your easy Instant Pot tortellini soup to cool completely.
Transfer to a freezer-safe airtight container — I swear by a good old-fashioned freezer-safe Ziploc bag. The soup will keep in the freezer for 3-4 months.
You can reheat it over medium-high on your stovetop when ready to eat it.
Can I Use Frozen Tortellini?
I tend to use refrigerated tortellini for this recipe as I find that it tastes fresher than frozen. That said, you can use frozen pasta instead.
What Are Tortellinis Filled With?
Traditional tortellini pasta is filled with ricotta cheese or a combination of ricotta and spinach. Today you can find varieties that are filled with different types of cheeses and even some meats!
Other Instant Pot Recipes You’ll Love:
- Instant Pot Navy Bean Soup
- London Broil In The Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Frozen Meatballs
- Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
- Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks
- Instant Pot Sirloin Tip Roast
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes With Garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (9-ounce) package refrigerated three cheese tortellini
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Press Saute on the Instant Pot. Heat the olive oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the sausage and onion. Stir, breaking up the sausage, and cook until it is browned. Add the garlic and cook for a minute until fragrant. Press Cancel.
- Add chicken broth, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper, stirring to combine.
- Secure and seal the lid. Cook on Manual High for 1 minute, allowing a 5-minute natural pressure release. After 5 minutes, release the rest of the steam and carefully remove the lid.
- Press Saute. Stir in the tortellini, bring the soup to a simmer, and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the cream and spinach, loosely cover the pot with the lid, and let the soup simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Serve garnished with fresh basil and Parmesan cheese.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 489Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 1515mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 23g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.