Want to impress a dinner crowd without spending an arm and a leg? This air fryer chuck roast turns an inexpensive cut of beef into a tender, juicy meal everyone will love!
When cooked properly, beef roasts can become a star dish that’s great for feeding a crowd.
Whether you need a no fuss recipe for a family dinner or holiday feast, this air fryer chuck roast is always a winner!
An easy oil, Worcestershire, and herb mixture add the perfect amount of flavor to the meat.
After that, just cook the beef until it reaches your desired level of doneness, let it rest, and serve. It’s seriously that easy!
Here’s what I’m going to teach you in this post:
- The best way to make beef chuck roast in the air fryer
- How long to cook chuck roast in the air fryer
- Tips for cooking this recipe to perfection
- What to serve with your tender, tasty beef roast
Chuck roast is one of my go-tos when I’m feeding a lot of people. It’s such an inexpensive cut of beef, but it tastes so incredible when it’s made the right way!
And if you’re lucky enough to have any extra, the leftovers will be just as good the next day!
How to Make Air Fryer Chuck Roast
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Line the inside of the air fryer with aluminum foil. Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees F.
STEP TWO: In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and Worcestershire sauce. In a second small bowl, combine the salt, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, rosemary, and pepper.
STEP THREE: Rub the roast first with the sauce mixture, then with the herb mixture, being sure to coat the entire roast.
STEP FOUR: Place the chuck roast in the air fryer basket.
STEP FIVE: Air fry for 15 minutes, then carefully flip the roast. Air fry at 320 degrees F for another 45-60 minutes, depending on the size of the roast until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F.
STEP SIX: Remove the roast and allow it to rest for at least 10 minutes, then slice and serve with your favorite sides.
How Long Does a Chuck Roast Take in the Air Fryer?
This is going to be based on a couple of factors. First, the bigger your roast, the longer it will take to cook.
Second, it depends on your desired level of doneness. And finally, time will always vary a little between air fryer models.
The key is to cook your chuck roast in the air fryer until it reaches between 145 degrees F and 160 degrees F.
You don’t want to go any longer than that, or you could risk overcooking the meat.
Some low-and-slow recipes will tell you to reach a much higher temperature, but with the air fryer, this isn’t necessary.
The air fryer cooks differently than an oven, so we don’t need to get the meat quite as hot to make it tender.
I always recommend using an Instant Read Thermometer, especially for big cuts of meat like a beef roast!
This will help you get the most accurate cooking time without the risk of under or over-cooking.
Tips for Making the Best Beef Chuck Roast in the Air Fryer
- You want to coat the roast as evenly as possible, first with the oil and Worcestershire mixture and then with the herb mixture. This will add the best flavor to the meat!
- Always let meat rest after cooking so it can reabsorb the juices. I recommend resting it for 10 minutes at least, but 20 or 30 minutes would be even better. Just cover it loosely in tin foil, then use that time to whip up some amazing air fryer sides!
- You can use the drippings that collect in the foil to make gravy. For every 2 tablespoons of drippings, add 2 tablespoons of flour or cornstarch and 2 cups of liquid. Stock, water, milk, or cream will all work.
What to Serve with Air Fryer Chuck Roast
- Brussels Sprouts in the Air Fryer
- Easy Air Fryer Ranch Potatoes
- Easy Homemade Garlic Cheese Bread
- Instant Pot Carrots
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes with Garlic
- Mac and Cheese Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Air Fryer Baby Potatoes
Are Air Fryers Good for Roasts?
Absolutely! I actually prefer it to using the oven. The convection heating method cooks the meat more efficiently than an oven, which is how you can get a tender roast in so much less time. Plus, it’s just so easy!
Other Air Fryer Recipes You’ll Love:
- Air Fryer Prime Rib
- Air Fryer Sirloin Steak
- Air Fryer Pork Tenderloin
- Air Fryer Pork Roast
- Air Fryer Hamburgers
- Air Fryer Steak (T-Bone)
- Air Fryer Short Ribs
- Air Fryer Skirt Steak
- Air Fryer Chicken Fried Steak
- Air Fryer Baby Back Ribs
Love air frying? Join our newsletter! You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, or join our free Facebook Air Frying Community.
Air Fryer Chuck Roast
This air fryer chuck roast is a budget-friendly meal that turns out melt-in-your-mouth tender in just 1 hour! Perfect for entertaining guests or holiday feasts.
- 2 pounds beef chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Line the inside of your air fryer with aluminum foil. Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil and Worcestershire sauce. In a second small bowl, combine the salt, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, rosemary, and pepper.
- Rub the roast with the olive oil-Worcestershire sauce mixture, then rub the herb mixture over the entire roast. Place the roast in the basket of your air fryer.
- Air fry for 15 minutes, then carefully flip the roast. Air fry at 320 degrees F for another 45-60 minutes, depending on the size of the roast.
- Remove, allow to rest for 10 minutes, then slice and serve with your favorite sides.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 384Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 125mgSodium: 445mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 37g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.
16 thoughts on “Air Fryer Chuck Roast”
You said air fry 15 minutes after preheat 390 for 5 minutes. Do I keep temperature at 390 for the 15 minutes then down to 320 for the remainder of time? Thank you much ❤️
Hi Elizabeth, yes that is correct. I took out the preheating time since it can depend on the air fryer. You will keep the temperature at 390 degrees until it needs to be switched to 320 for the remainder of the cooking time. Enjoy!
How can I cook this roast with carrots, potatoes and onions?
Hi Becky, I have not cooked the veggies with the chuck roast at the same time, but I would place them in with about 20 minutes of cooking left. Or, what I prefer to do is place them in the air fryer after the chuck roast is done and resting.
This was DELICIOUS! My 11-year-old declared it “as good as Dad’s steak” (which is a big deal at our house!)
Have you tried searing the roast before placing it in the air fryer?
I love it! I love finding new things the kids love that much. I have not tried searing it prior to cooking it, but you definitely can! I just prefer less dishes!
I have a new air fryer oven in my range. How can I use it to make a roast. Do I need to defrost first. My oven paper work says it isn’t necessary. I can not find many recipes for a complete oven air fryer
Hi Elaine, you can actually use normal air fryer recipes in your oven range air fryer as well! Just preheat it and cook as normal. Since the air circulation isn’t as condensed as a countertop unit, it may take a few extra minutes to cook, so check the roast with a meat thermometer before removing.
This was amazing. I’m not a big red meat eater and I didn’t want to stop eating it.
My roast was a little bigger so I cooked it for 20 minutes and then flipped.
Definitely making this again.
I had concerns because Chuck is a braised meat, but omg so delicious. Perfect, crispy crust and juicy. Would recommend.
Is this a whole roast or a slice of steak. The photo of the cut isn’t clear.
This cut of meat in this recipe is 2 lbs. Anything larger than that will need a longer cook time.
way overdone – and i stopped at 30 min – guess my dogs are getting a $12 roast
Depending on the size of the roast the cooking time can fluctuate, checking your roast for an internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F.
Hi there this looks delicious. I just bought my first air fryer so I am a newbie lol. Can you do this frozen or is it best thawed? Thanks
This recipe has the chuck roast thawed. You could do it frozen but the cooking time will increase.