Air fryer Italian sausage paired with colorful peppers and onions is savory, quick, and absolutely irresistible! Dinner just got a whole lot more exciting!
I love a easy and delicious weeknight dinner and these air fryer italian sausages are just that. They are the perfect mix of protein and veggies and are great when paired with a slice of bread, mac and cheese, or roasted potatoes.
Just imagine biting into a perfectly-cooked juicy sausage accompanied by sliced peppers and onions that have been caramelized to perfection.
Best of all, it’s a minimal prep with a dash of spices, and done in just 20 minutes in the air fryer.
Why I Love Cooking Italian Sausages in the Air Fryer
- You can throw all the ingredients in the air fryer and cook them together!
- It’s faster than cooking them in the oven!
- The italian sausage gets a nice brown crusting on the outside while the inside stays super juicy (my husband tells me these are the juiciest sausages he’s ever eaten!)
- You can even toast a sausage roll in the air fryer for an added touch like I do with my meatball subs!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Bell peppers: I like to use a mix between green and red peppers, but you can use orange or yellow as well. You can even add in some jalapeno or poblano pepper strips for a nice kick!
- Onion: I used a white cooking onion, but a sweet onion like a Vidalia onion will work great as well. If you’re in a pinch shallots can be substituted for the onions or you can just omit them.
- Oil: To properly cook the peppers and onions, you do need some kind of oil. I used olive oil for this recipe, but you can also use EVOO, vegetable oil, or even corn oil. I talk a lot about the best oil when air frying here.
- Italian Seasoning: I love using dried italian seasoning for a quick mix of herbs, but feel free to use basil, oregano, and thyme. You can also opt to just season the veggies with salt and pepper.
- Italian Sausage: We’re making italian sausages here, so I do recommend using actual italian sausages. These are larger than breakfast sausage links. This recipe will also work with the Impossible Italian Sausages too.
How to Cook Italian Sausage in the Air Fryer
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F.
STEP TWO: In a large bowl, toss the peppers and onions with olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and salt and pepper.
STEP THREE: Once hot, add the peppers and onions to the air frying basket, then place the uncooked sausages on top.
STEP FOUR: Air fry Italian sausage, peppers, and onions for 15 minutes at 400 degrees F, rotating the sausages every 5 minutes.
STEP FIVE: Make sure the air fryer Italian sausage is cooked all the way through, then serve immediately.
Tips for Making the Best Air Fryer Italian Sausage
- Choose a mix of bell peppers (red, yellow, green) for a vibrant dish both in taste and appearance like in my air fryer bell peppers recipe.
- When you air fry Italian sausage, ensure even cooking by rotating the sausages every 5 minutes. This keeps them juicy inside and while letting them brown evenly on the outside. I do this in my air fryer brats recipe too.
- Invest in quality Italian sausages. After all, they’re the star of the show! It’s entirely up to you if you want to get mild Italian sausage or go bold with hot sausage. I like Johnsonville sausages.
- A sprinkle of fresh basil or parsley before serving can elevate the flavors even more.
- Want your Italian sausage on a roll? Slice a sausage roll ¾ of the way down, add the air fryer sausage and peppers, then place it back in the air fryer at 380 degrees F for 1-2 minutes until your sausage sandwich is nice and hot!
What to Serve with Italian Sausages
How Long to Cook Italian Sausage in the Air Fryer
Italian sausage just takes about 15 minutes to cook in the air fryer! Use a meat thermometer to ensure the italian sausage hits 160 degrees F at its thickest point.
You’ll know when the sausage is done cooking by its rich, brown hue and the peppers and onions have a tantalizing caramelized edge.
Can I Cook the Italian Sausage Without the Peppers and Onions?
If cooking just the italian sausage in the air fryer without any peppers or onions, cook at 370 degrees for just 8-10 minutes.
Are Italian Sausages too Fatty to Air Fry?
It’s a common misconception that a food like Italian sausages are too fatty to be air fried.
As long as you keep your air fryer clean from top to bottom and don’t pierce the sausage prior to cooking, it will air fry great!
Do You Need to Preheat an Air Fryer?
Yes, you should always preheat an air fryer just as you preheat an oven.
Preheating your air fryer allows the food to get crispy on the outside while still thoroughly heating the inside.
How to Reheat Air Fryer Sausage and Peppers
Leftover sausage, peppers, and onions can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Once you’re ready to enjoy, I think the best way to reheat your italian sausage in the air fryer! Since we’re working with fully cooked sausage, it only takes a few minutes.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F.
- Lay the leftover sausage links, peppers, and onions in a single layer in the air fryer.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes until the sausages are heated all the way through.
How to Cook Frozen Italian Sausage in the Air Fryer
These directions are to cook just the italian sausages in the air fryer. It does not include adding in the peppers and onions, which is why it takes a shorter time to cook!
- Preheat the air fryer to 370 degrees F.
- Place the frozen Italian sausages in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Air fry for 8-10 minutes until the sausages reach 160 degrees F.
More Easy Dinner Ideas
- 3 bells peppers, sliced thick
- 1 medium onion, sliced thick
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound italian sausages (about 5 medium sausages)
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 F.
- In a large bowl, toss the peppers and onions with olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Once hot, add the peppers and onions to the air frying basket, then place the sausages on top.
- Cook for 15 minutes at 400F, rotating the sausages halfway through.
- Make sure the sausages are cooked through, then serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 456Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 978mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 23g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.