An easy and healthy air fryer cod recipe with lemon and dill made with no breading. It’s perfect for busy weeknights!
Air frying fish has become a staple. It’s an easy meal and any piece of fish cooks up perfectly!
Cooking cod in the air fryer is the same way! It creates a flaky cod fillet that’s flavorful, fresh, and buttery.
This recipe is made with no breading but can be changed to a crispy breaded recipe or other varieties with my tips below.
How to Cook Cod in the Air Fryer
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Preheat your air fryer to 370 degrees.
STEP TWO: Mix the melted butter, salt, minced garlic, lemon juice, and chopped dill in a bowl.
STEP THREE: Add one cod loin into the bowl and using your hands, completely coat each piece. Press the garlic lightly into the cod so it doesn’t fall off once in the air fryer.
STEP FOUR: Repeat the previous step with the remaining cod loins.
STEP FIVE: Place the fish in the air fryer basket in a single layer and air fry cod fillets for 10 minutes.
STEP SIX: Carefully remove the cod from the air fryer basket and garnish with another squeeze of lemon or a lemon slice and butter if desired then enjoy!
Tips TO Make the Best Air Fryer Cod
- Don’t flip the cod fillets in the air fryer as uncooked fresh fish can stick to the basket
- Use a parchment round, silicone liner, or a non stick spray to avoid the cod from sticking and to help clean up
- Remove the cod from the air fryer as soon as it hits 145 degrees F to avoid overcooking and becoming rubbery
- Larger cod fillets in the air fryer can take 10 to 13 minutes to cook in the air fryer
- Use your favorite kind of cod fish — including Atlantic cod, wild Alaskan cod, blue cod
How Do You Know When Cod is Done in the Air Fryer
It’s simple to tell when air fried cod is done cooking.
Take a fork and use it to flake some of the fish off the corner. If it flakes easily, the cod is done cooking. If it’s not flaky, let it cook another 1-2 minutes and try again.
You can also use an Instant Read Thermometer to measure its internal temperature. Cod should be cooked to 145 degrees at its thickest point.
Variations of Air Fryer Cod Fish
- Use Old Bay seasoning in place of lemon and dill for a fish favorite
- Change this into a crispy breaded or panko crusted air fryer cod recipe by dipping the fillets in butter and then panko breading, then air frying
- Use blackened seasoning mix for a blackened cod recipe
- Don’t use garlic powder or garlic salt in place of the fresh garlic in this recipe, but feel free to use jarred minced garlic if you would like!
What to Serve with Cod
- Air Fryer Hush Puppies
- Roasted Carrots and Asparagus
- Air Fryer Carrots
- Air Fryer Asparagus
- Air Fryer Cornbread
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
- Corn Casserole
- Green Beans Almondine
How Long Does Cod Go in the Air Fryer?
Air fryer cod fish takes about 10 minutes to cook.
How to Cook Frozen Cod in the Air Fryer
I always recommend cooking from fresh fish over cooking from frozen, but it always helps in a pinch!
- Rinse the frozen cod under cold water for a quick second. Shake them off and add the frozen cod in the air fryer (NOT preheated).
- Turn your air fryer on to 350 degrees and air fry cod fillets for 4 minutes. This will help thaw the frozen cod so you can treat it like you’re cooking it from fresh!
- Remove the cod fish fillets from the air fryer, turn the air fryer to 370 degrees, and coat the cod loins in the melted butter, salt, garlic, lemon juice, and dill.
- Cook the cod in the air fryer for 10 minutes then enjoy!
For more tips, read our post and recipe on frozen cod in the air fryer!
How Do I Reheat Air Fryer Cod Fish?
Store leftover cod in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days, use these reheating directions.
- Place the cod fish in the air fryer and turn it to 350 degrees.
- Air fry cod for about 5 minutes, until heated thoroughly, and enjoy!
More Air Fryer Fish Recipes
- Air Fryer Salmon
- Air Fryer Tuna Melt
- Air Fryer Fried Fish
- Air Fryer Mahi Mahi
- Air Fryer Flounder
- Air Fryer Tilapia
- Air Fryer Haddock
- Air Fryer Fish Sticks
- Air Fryer Halibut
- Air Fryer Swordfish
- Air Fryer Catfish
- Air Fryer Tuna Steaks
- 45 Air Fryer Fish Recipes
More Easy Seafood Recipes
- Air Fryer Crab Cakes
- Air Fryer Shrimp
- Air Fryer Oysters
- Air Fryer Scallops
- Air Fryer Calamari
- Air Fryer Crab Rangoon
- Instant Pot Fish Tacos
Air Fryer Weight Watcher Points per serving: 7
- 4 cod loins
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 1 teaspoon dried dill (or 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your air fryer to 370 degrees.
- Mix the butter, garlic, lemon juice, dill, and salt in a bowl.
- Add a cod loin into the bowl coating it completely. Lightly press the garlic into the cod so it doesn't fall off when cooking. Repeat with remaining cod pieces.
- Place all the cod loins into the air fryer in one layer not touching.
- Cook for 10 minutes then carefully remove from the air fryer.
- Garnish the cod with more lemon juice or butter if desired and enjoy!
How to Cook Frozen Cod in the Air Fryer:
1. Quickly rinse the cod in cold water for a second. Shake them over and place in a cold air fryer.
2. Turn the air fryer to 350 degrees and cook for 4 minutes.
3. Remove from the air fryer and follow ingredient and cooking instructions above like it is fresh cod!
How to Reheat Cod in an Air Fryer
1. Place the cod into an air fryer and turn to 350 degrees.
2. Cook for about 5 minutes, until warmed, then enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 302Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 130mgSodium: 507mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 42g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.