This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclaimer here.
These crispy frozen hash browns in the air fryer are everything you’re looking for in a breakfast side dish! Enjoy potatoes cooked to perfection with the help of some simple seasonings.
Breakfast is a huge hit in my house. We’ve been known to have breakfast for dinner at least once a week, maybe two if my kids are in the mood for it! There are so many different directions to take your meal. You can serve up a fluffy omelet, the classic bacon and eggs combo, or (if you have a sweet tooth) pancakes or French toast. You can’t forget cinnamon buns too.
What’s breakfast without a big portion of yummy breakfast potatoes? Air fryer hash browns are the ultimate addition to breakfast. Let’s get started!
Here’s what I’m going to teach you in this post:
- All of the ingredients you’ll need to make shredded air fryer hash browns
- Step-by-step instructions on how to achieve the crispiest hash browns ever
- Tips for making air fryer frozen hash browns, as well as other breakfast recipes to serve alongside them
Shredded frozen hash browns in the air fryer never tasted so good!
I made this recipe using the 5.8 QT Cosori Air Fryer. Its square basket makes it the perfect size for our family of 4.
How to make Hash Browns in the Air Fryer
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Preheat your air fryer to 370 degrees F.
STEP TWO: Spread the frozen hash browns in the air fryer in a single layer. Spray the hash browns with cooking oil using an EVO Oil Sprayer, then sprinkle with garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste.
You can use a different kind of oil sprayer but stay away from anything that has soy lecithin inside it, including PAM. You can read more about why you shouldn’t use PAM in your air fryer here.
STEP THREE: Air fry the frozen hash browns for about 18 minutes. Use a spatula to divide the hash browns and carefully flip them little by little.
Spray again with olive oil spray, and continue to air fry for about 5 more minutes, or until the shredded hash browns are golden brown and crispy to your liking for a total of about 23 minutes.
STEP FOUR: Remove the hash browns and set them on a serving plate. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired and serve.
Tips for Making Hash Browns in the Air Fryer
- Use frozen shredded hash browns to avoid soggy potatoes for your air fryer frozen hash browns.
- You don’t need to thaw the frozen potatoes first.
- Make sure not to crowd the shredded hash browns in the air fryer basket.
- Don’t skip the flip if you want your hash browns to crisp up evenly on both sides.
- You can use any brand of frozen shredded hash browns, but I like using Simply Potatoes!
- This recipe is for shredded hash browns in the air fryer. Click here for my air fryer hash brown patties recipe!
Breakfast Recipes to Make With Air Fryer Hash Browns
- Toast in the air fryer
- Air fryer scrambled eggs
- Sausage links in the air fryer or sausage patties in the air fryer
- Air fryer turkey bacon
- Air fryer breakfast burritos
- …even more air fryer breakfast recipes!
How Many Hash Browns Can I Put in an Air Fryer at One Time?
Be sure to put the frozen hash browns in one single layer inside your air fryer basket. If you crowd the potatoes too much, they won’t cook properly.
When it comes to placing food in your air fryer basket, less is always more. If you want to serve up a large number of hash browns, cook them in batches.
Why Won’t My Hash browns Get Crispy?
The best way to achieve crispy hash browns is to use frozen potatoes instead of fresh ones. The freezing helps evenly release the moisture in the potatoes for a crispy result.
You can use a brand like Simply Potatoes, or your personal preference. For this recipe, make sure you opt for shredded frozen hash browns.
How Long Do Hash browns Take in the Air Fryer?
Make sure that your air fryer is set to 370 degrees F. Place your frozen hash browns in the air fryer basket and cook for 18 minutes.
Then, use a spatula to divide your potatoes into smaller sections so that you can flip them. Cook for 5 more minutes, or until desired crispiness!
How to Reheat Hash Browns in the Air Fryer
Preheat your air fryer to 370 degrees F. Place the refrigerated hash browns in the air fryer basket and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until fully warmed. Remove from the air fryer and enjoy!
How to Keep Hash Browns From Falling Through the Air Fryer Basket
Both are safe to use in your air fryer and you can learn about parchment paper in the air fryer here!
Other Air Fryer Recipes You’ll Love:
- Air Fryer Hard Boiled Eggs
- Air Fryer Ham Steaks
- Air Fryer Jelly Donuts
- Air Fryer Tater Tots
- Air Fryer Apple Fritters
- 16 oz frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Preheat your air fryer to 370 degrees F.
- Spread the frozen hash browns in a single layer inside, spray the top of the hash brown layer with olive oil spray, then sprinkle with garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Cook for 18 minutes. Use a spatula to divide the hash browns and carefully flip them. Spray with olive oil spray and continue to air fry for about 5 more minutes, or until they’re golden brown and crispy to your liking.
- Remove to a serving plate, season with additional salt and pepper if desired, and serve.
How to Reheat Hash Browns in the Air Fryer:
1. Preheat your air fryer to 370 degrees.
2. Place the leftover shredded hash browns in the air fryer and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until warmed and crisped thoroughly.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 311Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 721mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 3gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.