Looking for a mouthwatering meal that’s surprisingly easy to make? Crispy air fryer chicken cordon bleu with a luscious Dijon sauce on top is ready in 40 minutes and sure to satisfy!
Craving a restaurant-quality meal that can be ready in 40 minutes and doesn’t require leaving the house? Then you’re going to love this air fryer chicken cordon bleu!
Tender chicken breast is stuffed with ham and cheese, breaded, air fried to golden perfection, and then drizzled in a luscious Dijon sauce.
It’s an absolutely mouthwatering combination you’ll want to make again and again.
Best of all, it’s so easy. Just prep the chicken, then whip up the sauce while the air fryer works its magic. You’ll be ready to serve in no time!
How to Make Chicken Cordon Bleu in the Air Fryer
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Cut a pocket into each raw chicken breast.
STEP TWO: Place a cheese slice on top of a slice of ham, then layer another slice of ham and cheese on top of that. Roll them up so a slice of ham is on the outside.
STEP THREE: Repeat to create a second ham-and-cheese roll.
STEP FOUR: Place one roll inside each chicken breast pocket, then secure the pocket closed with 2 toothpicks.
STEP FIVE: In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise, mustard, and a dash of salt and pepper together. Spread it in a thin layer all over the chicken.
STEP SIX: Place the breadcrumbs on a large, shallow plate. Carefully roll the chicken in the breadcrumbs until fully coated.
STEP SEVEN: Preheat the air fryer to 370 degrees F and place the chicken in a single layer inside. Spray the top of the chicken with an oil mister.
STEP EIGHT: Air fry for 20-25 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
STEP NINE: While the chicken is cooking, start the sauce by melting the butter in a small saucepan set over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
STEP TEN: Slowly whisk in the milk and whisk until the mixture is blended and smooth.
STEP ELEVEN: Add the mustard and Parmesan, then simmer for 2-3 minutes, whisking constantly, until thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
STEP TWELVE: Remove the toothpicks and spoon the sauce over the chicken cordon bleu to serve.
How to Make Frozen Chicken Cordon Bleu in the Air Fryer
This recipe is specifically for thawed chicken. If you want to learn how to make this dish from frozen, make sure to check out my Frozen Chicken Cordon Bleu in the Air Fryer recipe!
What to Serve with Air Fryer Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- Baked Sweet Potato in the Air Fryer
- Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Glazed Carrots Recipe
- Garlic Bread in the Air Fryer
- Roasted Carrots and Asparagus
How Long to Cook Chicken Cordon Bleu in the Air Fryer
Air Frying Chicken Cordon Bleu will take about 20 to 25 minutes to cook in your air fryer.
I recommend using an Instant Read Thermometer to ensure the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. You also want the breading to be golden and the cheese inside to be melted.
Tips for Making the Best French toast with Hawaiian Bread
- To create the pocket, cut into the chicken breast horizontally about ¾ of the way through. You don’t want to cut all the way through or you won’t have a pocket anymore.
- Use toothpicks to carefully close the pocket of the raw chicken breast to prevent the cheese from melting out as it cooks in the air fryer.
- Don’t overcrowd the basket. If you’re doubling or tripling the recipe to feed a crowd, I recommend putting no more than 2 chicken breasts in the air fryer at a time.
- Wait until you’re ready to serve before adding the Dijon sauce on top. If you add the sauce too early, it could make the breading soggy.
- Store leftover chicken cordon bleu in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat leftover chicken cordon bleu in the air fryer at 370 degrees F for 5 minutes or until warmed all the way through.
More Air Fryer Chicken Breast Recipes
- Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
- Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets
- Air Fryer Chicken Breasts
- Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- Air Fryer Grilled Chicken
- Air Fryer Chicken Katsu
- Air Fryer Stuffed Chicken Breasts
More Air Fryer Chicken Recipes
- Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- Air Fryer Chicken Sandwich
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- 2 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 4 slices ham
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ⅔ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Cut a pocket into each chicken breast. Place a cheese slice on top of a slice of ham, then another slice of ham and cheese. Roll them up so the cheese is inside. Place the rolls inside each pocket and close them with 2 toothpicks if necessary.
- In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise, mustard, and a dash of salt and pepper together. Spread it in a thin layer all over the chicken.
- Place the breadcrumbs on a large, shallow plate. Carefully roll the chicken in the breadcrumbs until fully coated.
- Preheat the air fryer to 370 degrees F then place the chicken in a single layer inside. Spray the top of the chicken with cooking oil spray.
- Air fry for 20-25 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- While the chicken is cooking, make the sauce: melt the butter in a small saucepan set over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and whisk until the mixture is blended and smooth.
- Add the mustard and Parmesan and simmer for 2-3 minutes, whisking constantly, until thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over chicken.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1110Total Fat: 57gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 29gCholesterol: 276mgSodium: 3108mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 96g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.