Try making Parmesan crusted chicken in the air fryer for an easy weeknight meal the whole family will love that’s ready in just 30 minutes!
Looking for a weeknight dinner that’s quick and easy to make but feels gourmet? You have to try whipping up Parmesan crusted chicken in the air fryer!
Thanks to the air fryer, the chicken gets crispy-on-the-outside and juicy-on-the-inside like traditional fried chicken but with way less hassle or mess.
And the panko breadcrumbs and Parmesan breading stick to the seasoned mayo to make a thick crispy coating.
Air fryer Parmesan chicken may be easy to prep, but I guarantee it will have everyone asking for seconds. It’s just so good!
It’s been a family favorite in our household for quite some time now.
How to Make Parmesan Crusted Chicken in the Air Fryer
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Combine the mayonnaise and seasonings in a small bowl.
STEP TWO: Use paper towels to thoroughly pat the chicken dry.
STEP THREE: Use a basting brush and brush the mayonnaise mixture onto each side of the chicken.
STEP FOUR: In a rectangular dish, combine the Parmesan cheese and panko crumbs.
STEP FIVE: Lay one mayo chicken breast at a time in the cheese and panko, patting the chicken until it is completely coated. Lift the breast out and shake off any loose breading.
STEP SIX: Continue until all of the chicken is coated.
STEP SEVEN: Preheat the air fryer to 360 degrees F. Spray the inside of the basket.
STEP EIGHT: Place two chicken breasts of similar thickness into the air fryer basket. Cook for 8 minutes and then carefully flip for an additional 4-6 minutes.
STEP NINE: Repeat until all the chicken breasts are cooked.
Tips for Making the Best Air Fryer Parmesan Chicken
- Pat the chicken dry very thoroughly! This helps the mayo stick to the chicken, so you can get more of that Parmesan and panko crust.
- Shake the cheese-coated chicken after breading to get rid of any loose breading that could fall and burn in your air fryer.
- Only air fry two Parmesan crusted chicken breasts at a time to avoid overcrowding the basket.
- Choose two similar-sized chicken breasts to air fry together so they cook evenly.
- To cut down on prep time, finish breading two chicken breasts and put them in the air fryer, then continue breading the rest while the first two are air frying.
What to Serve with Parmesan Chicken in the Air Fryer
More Air Fryer Chicken Breast Recipes
- Air Fryer Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Air Fryer Chicken Katsu
- Shake and Bake Chicken in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
Variations for Air Fryer Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- Swap out the mayo for Greek yogurt for a tangier, slightly healthier alternative.
- Add chili flakes to the mayo chicken mixture for a spicy kick.
- Try using only grated Parmesan for a finer crust if preferred.
- Mix in some fresh herbs like rosemary or basil with the panko crumbs for added depth of flavor.
- Use chicken tenderloins instead of chicken breasts to make Parmesan crusted chicken tenders. Make sure you reduce the cooking time.
How Long to Cook Parmesan Chicken in the Air Fryer
I find that 12-14 minutes is usually the right amount of time to cook Parmesan crusted chicken in the air fryer.
You want to make sure the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. The best way to check is by using an Instant Read Thermometer and inserting it into the thickest part of the air fried chicken.
How Do You Get Breading to Stick to Chicken in the Air Fryer?
Brushing the chicken breasts with seasoned mayo before breading is the best way to get the Parmesan and Panko mixture to stick!
If you try breaded chicken recipes with no mayo, the coating is more likely to fall off. Plus, the mayo helps keep the chicken breasts juicy and tender.
More Air Fryer Chicken Recipes
- Air Fryer Boneless Chicken Thighs
- Breaded Chicken Wings In The Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- How To Make A Whole Chicken In The Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Boneless Wings
- 1 pound thin sliced chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded parmesan
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Combine your mayonnaise and seasonings in a small bowl.
- Use paper towels to pat your chicken dry. This helps the mayo stick.
- Use a basting brush and brush the mayonnaise mixture onto each side of the chicken.
- In a rectangular dish, combine the parmesan cheese and panko crumbs.
- Lay one chicken breast at a time in your cheese and panko, patting the chicken until it is completely coated. Lift the breast out and shake any loose breading off.
- Continue until all of the chicken is coated.
- Preheat your air fryer to 360 degrees F. Spray the inside of your basket.
- Two breasts at a time, lay your chicken down, matching the thickness as close as you can for even cooking.
- Cook for 8 minutes and then carefully flip for an additional 4-6 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite sides, and enjoy!
- Simply slice a chicken breast in half lengthwise and use a tenderizer to pound it as thin as you like.
- Make sure the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- You may need to adjust the cooking time for the thickness of the chicken breasts.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 692Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 29gCholesterol: 165mgSodium: 1143mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 60g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.