These mouthwatering air fryer bone in chicken thighs are crispy and buttery on the outside, tender and juicy on the inside, and an absolute breeze to prepare. This recipe is easy to make and pairs well with all of your favorite side dishes.
This air fryer chicken thigh bone in recipe is perfect for a hearty, satisfying and crowd-pleasing weeknight meal.
One of the many great things about chicken is how incredibly versatile it is, and this recipe is no exception. You can enjoy these air fryer chicken thighs with salads, pastas, rice, quinoa, potatoes, or any other vegetable under the sun.
This air fryer bone in chicken thighs recipe just so happens to be gluten-free, keto, and paleo, so any friends or family with these dietary restrictions can relax and enjoy.
Here’s what I’m going to teach you in this post:
- All the steps and ingredients you need to make air fryer bone in chicken thighs.
- Tips for getting your air fryer chicken thighs to come out nice and crisp.
- What to serve with this easy air fryer chicken thigh bone in recipe.
All you need is a few simple ingredients and 20 minutes to have perfectly crisped chicken thighs. Get ready to be delighted!
How to Make Air Fryer Bone In Chicken Thighs
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Preheat your air fryer to 380 degrees F.
STEP TWO: Drizzle your chicken thighs with olive oil and season them with salt and pepper. Then, combine the poultry seasoning, garlic powder, and onion powder in a small bowl. Rub the meat with the seasoning mixture until it is completely covered. You may end up with extra seasoning.
STEP THREE: Place your chicken thighs in the air fryer basket. Cook for 12 minutes, flip, and cook for another 6 to 7 minutes. Thighs are done when a meat thermometer reads an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
STEP FOUR: Allow the meat a few minutes to rest before serving. You can garnish with fresh parsley if desired.
STEP FIVE: Serve and enjoy!
How Long to Cook Bone In Chicken Thighs in the Air Fryer
You can have these tasty air fryer chicken thighs prepared in no time. In an air fryer heated to 380 degree F, you can cook thighs for 12 minutes on one side before flipping and cooking for an additional 6 to 7 minutes.
This means your chicken will be done in 18 to 19 minutes. That’s fast!
I recommend using an Instant Read thermometer to pull the chicken out as soon as it hits 165 degrees for the juiciest chicken thighs.
Tips to Get a Nice and Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Thigh
Nothing beats perfectly browned, crispy chicken skin. There are a few steps you can take to make sure your chicken thighs come out with just the right amount of crispiness.
- Choose bone in, skin on thighs for the crispiest results.
- Before rubbing chicken thighs with oil and seasoning, make sure each piece is dry and free of water. Patting with a clean paper towel can help you with this.
- Preheat your air fryer and be sure not to overcrowd the basket.
- Cook skin-side down for the first 12 minutes. Then, flip thighs so they are skin side up for the remaining 6 to 7 minutes.
Can I Make These with Boneless Chicken Thighs?
Absolutely! Boneless chicken thighs cook just as easily in the air fryer with a few adjustments to time and temperature. Just keep in mind that skinless thighs will not come out quite as crispy.
You’ll want to preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F. Cook thighs for 10 to 15 minutes, flipping halfway through.
I also recommend trying our marinated air fryer chicken thighs recipe as well with boneless thighs!
What to Serve with Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
Chicken truly does go with everything. The possibilities here are endless! Pair this chicken with your favorite side dish or try one of these recipes for inspiration:
- Brussel Sprouts in the Air Fryer
- Baked Sweet Potato in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Carrots
- Ninja Foodi Rice
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes with Garlic
- Instant Pot Potato Salad
- Broccoli Salad
You can also check out these air fryer side dishes for other ideas.
How to Cook Frozen Bone In Chicken Thighs in the Air Fryer
Frozen chicken thighs also cook wonderfully in the air fryer, but your process will be slightly different. Here’s what you’ll do differently:
- Preheat your air fryer to 380 degrees F and put frozen, separated chicken thighs in the basket.
- Cook in the air fryer for about 15 minutes or until thighs are just thawed.
- Remove chicken from basket to oil and season.
- Return pieces to the basket and cook for 12 to 15 minutes, flipping at the halfway point.
Chicken is done when it has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. For complete instructions, expert tips and serving suggestions, check out this recipe for frozen chicken thighs in the air fryer.
Other Chicken Recipes You’ll Love:
- Buffalo Chicken Thighs
- Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Thighs
- Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Bone in Chicken Breasts in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Stuffed Chicken Breast
- 35 Best Air Fryer Chicken Wing Recipes
- Air Fryer Orange Chicken
- The Best Air Fryer Chicken Recipes
- 3 bone in, skin on chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- Preheat your air fryer to 380 degrees F.
- Season your chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Drizzle the olive oil over the thighs. Combine the garlic powder, onion powder, and poultry seasoning in a small bowl. Rub the seasoning onto your thighs till they are covered. You may have some remaining seasoning.
- Place your chicken thighs in the air fryer basket and cook for 12 minutes, and then flip them. Continue to cook for an additional 6 to 7 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Allow them to rest for a few minutes and serve.
- Optional: Garnish them with fresh parsley.
HOW TO REHEAT AIR FRYER BONE IN CHICKEN THIGHS
- Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees F.
- Place chicken thighs in the air fryer basket and cook for 5 minutes, or till heated through.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 313Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 166mgSodium: 326mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 31g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.