Air Fryer Bone-In Chicken Breast is coated in brown sugar and seasonings for a sweet and easy dinner idea.
There’s nothing like cooking juicy chicken breasts in the air fryer and these cook much faster than in an oven!
I use skin on split chicken breasts with the bone in to create this deliciously sweet and caramelized brown sugar chicken recipe.
It contains absolutely no breading and these directions with work with other seasonings if you’re looking to cut back on sugar or make this recipe low fat.
In this post, I will teach you:
- How to cook air fryer bone-in chicken breasts
- About flipping chicken in the air fryer
- How to get super juicy chicken in the air fryer EVERY time!
- Ideas to serve with the chicken
- How to cook Frozen Bone-in Chicken Breasts in the air fryer
- Instructions to reheat split chicken breasts in the air fryer
How to Make Air Fryer Bone-In Chicken Breast
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Preheat your air fryer to 370 degrees.
STEP TWO: Remove the bone-in chicken from its packaging and set it aside. I use the kind with the skin on, but if yours are skinless, that’s okay too.
STEP THREE: Mix the brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, oregano, salt, and red pepper flakes into a small bowl.
STEP FOUR: Baste the oil on all sides of the split chicken breasts then evenly coat the chicken with the brown sugar mixture on all sides of each breast.
I like to just pour the brown sugar mixture on top of the chicken breasts to avoid extra dishes, but you can also place the mixture into a big bowl and toss the split chicken breasts in there.
STEP FIVE: Place the bone-in chicken breasts in the air fryer and cook for 25 to 30 minutes, flipping with about 10 minutes left. Larger chicken breasts may take a few extra minutes to cook.
STEP SIX: Remove the bone-in chicken breasts from the air fryer then enjoy!
Do I Need to Flip the Chicken in the Air Fryer?
Not all chicken needs to be flipped, but this recipe does require flipping.
An air fryer has a heating device on the top of the machine and blows air around into a 360-motion. This means more heat comes from the top and blows around the rest of the food.
In this recipe, the brown sugar coating starts to caramelize on top of the chicken breasts to give them a nice sweet taste. If not flipped, one side will start to blacken while the other side doesn’t get that nice caramelized look and taste.
For some foods, like this air fryer boneless chicken breast recipe, it’s not required to flip the chicken, however, I still prefer to.
How to Get Juicy Chicken in the Air Fryer
The secret to cooking juicy chicken in the air fryer is to cook it until it JUST hits 165 degrees F at its thickest point.
The easiest way to check it is using an Instant-Read Thermometer that takes only 2-3 seconds to show the temperature. Then you can open the air fryer quickly, check both chicken breasts and close it within 10 seconds.
If you are cooking multiple air fryer bone-in chicken breasts, it’s important to check both of them each time and pull any that are done right away.
Overcooking chicken results in dry chicken and no one wants that!
If you love making chicken in the air fryer, check out these 40 other air fryer chicken recipes!
What Can I Serve with Air Fryer Split Chick Breasts?
I love to serve these with some quick air fryer vegetables and some easy homemade garlic bread.
- Air Fryer Roasted Vegetables
- Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Air Fryer Broccoli
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- Air Fryer Frozen Onion Rings
- Air Fryer Frozen Tater Tots
I LOVE my silicone basket. It goes right in the dishwasher after using and my air fryer basket stays clean!
How to Cook Frozen Bone-in Chicken Breast in the Air Fryer
I’ve found with thicker cuts of frozen meat preheating your air fryer is not necessary.
- Place the frozen split chicken breasts in the air fryer and turn to 350 degrees.
- Cook for 40 to 50 minutes, basting the butter and adding the brown sugar mixture to the chicken on both sides halfway through cooking.
- Flip then cook the remaining time.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the air fryer and enjoy!
How to Reheat Bone-in Chicken in the Air Fryer
- Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees.
- Place the leftover bone-in chicken breasts in the air fryer and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until warmed thoroughly.
- Remove from the air fryer and enjoy!
Try These Other Delicious Air Fryer Recipes!
- Air Fryer Orange Chicken
- Air Fryer Bone-in Pork Chops
- Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Air Fryer Chicken Cutlets
- Air Fryer Fried Chicken
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings – Buffalo-Style
More Recipes to Try
- 2 bone-in chicken breasts (I used split chicken breasts)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Preheat your air fryer to 370 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from its packaging and set it aside.
- Mix the brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, oregano, salt, and red pepper flakes in a bowl.
- Baste the oil on both sides of the chicken and coat them with the brown sugar mixture.
- Place the split chicken breasts in the air fryer and cook for about 25 to 30 minutes, flipping the chicken at about 10 minutes left. Cook until the thickest part reaches 165 degrees F. Thicker or larger chicken breasts may take a few minutes longer.
- Remove the chicken from the air fryer and enjoy!
How to Cook Frozen Bone-in Chicken Breasts in the Air Fryer
1. Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees.
2. Cook chicken for 40-50 minutes, coating it with the oil and brown sugar mixture and flipping halfway through cooking.
3. Remove the bone-in chicken breasts from the air fryer and enjoy!
How to Reheat Split Chicken Breasts in the Air Fryer
1. Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees.
2. Place leftover chicken in the air fryer and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until warmed thoroughly.
3. Remove the chicken from the air fryer and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 177Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 313mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 0gSugar: 11gProtein: 19g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.