These chewy peanut butter cookies are off-the-charts yummy! With a soft, chewy center and golden brown exterior, this recipe offers all the nutty and buttery bliss you crave.
This easy chewy peanut butter cookies recipe is not only scrumptious, but it’s also an excellent opportunity to get the kids involved.
I had a great deal of trial and error before I could produce soft and chewy peanut butter cookies every time, but the tides have turned.
That is one of the reasons I am so excited to share this simple and amazing recipe with you today!
Here’s what I’m going to teach you in this post:
- All the ingredients you need to make these divinely soft peanut butter cookies.
- Step-by-step instructions on how to create these irresistible peanut butter treats.
- Expert tips and creative add-in ideas to help you make out-of-this-world soft and chewy peanut butter cookies every time.
To prepare yourself for peanut butter cookie bliss, you only need a few simple ingredients and 15 minutes. Let’s do this!
How to Make Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Preheat your oven to 350 ℉ and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
STEP TWO: Fit your stand mixer with the paddle attachment and add the softened butter and light brown sugar to the mixing bowl. Beat for about one minute on medium speed until the mixture is light and fluffy.
STEP THREE: Add in the peanut butter, egg, and vanilla extract and mix to combine. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
STEP FOUR: Combine the flour, baking soda, and kosher salt in a separate small bowl. Mix the dry ingredients into the butter mixture on low speed. Beat just until the dry ingredients are fully incorporated.
STEP FIVE: Use a tablespoon to scoop the dough and place at least two inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets. If desired, you can roll dough into a ball, roll in granulated sugar, and then gently press down with a fork to make a disc. This is how you accomplish that iconic “peanut butter cookie” look.
STEP SIX: Bake until the edges start to turn brown, about 10-12 minutes. We want these cookies to be chewy, so be sure not to overbake!
STEP SEVEN: Leave cookies on tray to cool and set completely before transferring them to an airtight container. These cookies will stay fresh at room temperature for up to 5 days. Enjoy!
What Makes these Peanut Butter Cookies Soft and Chewy?
There are a few things to consider to achieve the softest and chewiest cookies possible.
- Be sure to use high-quality, unsalted, and fully softened butter. This way, it incorporates fully and produces the chewiness we all love.
- Opt for light brown sugar over granulated sugar. The moisture content of brown sugar is ideal for soft and chewy peanut butter cookies.
- Baking soda helps the cookies rise and is essential for a light and fluffy cookie.
- One expert baking tip is to let the prepared dough rest in the fridge for at least an hour. This reduces moisture while increasing sugar content which results in chewy delightfulness every time.
What Can I Add to My Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies?
This chewy peanut butter cookie recipe is absolutely perfect as-is, but that is no reason to limit your creativity. This recipe can easily handle up to 1 cup of add-ins, which you’ll want to fold in before scooping out the dough.
Here are some great ideas to get you started:
- Reese’s pieces
- Chopped up Reese’s or Heath bars
- M&Ms (any variety)
- Chocolate, butterscotch, or toffee chips
- Chopped nuts
Why Do My Soft Peanut Butter Cookies Fall Apart?
If your cookies are falling apart (AKA dry and crumbly), there are a few places we can troubleshoot.
The most likely culprit is overbaking. Peanut butter cookies are notorious for looking like they need more time in the oven.
Keep a close eye on your cookies and remove them from the oven according to the recipe, even if they don’t look how you think they should.
Another common mistake is using too much flour, which leads to dryness. I always recommend using the spoon and level method for maximum accuracy.
How Do I Make the Best Soft and Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies Possible?
If you follow all the instructions and tips we have already covered, your results will be dynamite! In addition, I have a few more suggestions to ensure you get the best peanut butter cookies every time.
As with every recipe, it all starts with the best possible ingredients:
- Kosher salt is super important. It is far superior to table salt, balances out the sweetness, and enhances this recipe’s rich peanut butter flavor like nothing else.
- Choose the highest quality vanilla extract available to you. We tend to forget what a powerful flavor enhancer this magical ingredient truly is.
- For this chewy peanut butter cookies recipe, it is best to avoid natural nut butters that separate since this may add unwanted moisture to your dough. For the sake of softness, chewiness, and smoothness, go with classic creamy peanut butter. Your cookies and your family will thank you!
Other Easy Cookie Recipes You’ll Love:
- Easy Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies with Toffee Bits
- Butterscotch Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookies Without Baking Soda
- Hershey Kiss Cookies
- 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Balls
- 35 Easy Christmas Cookies with Few Ingredients
- Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies
- Snickerdoodle Recipe
- 1 stick (½ cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Add the softened butter and light brown sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy– about 1 minute.
- Next add the peanut butter, egg, and vanilla. Mix to combine and scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, and kosher salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix on low speed, just until the dry ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Scoop out 1 tablespoon sized portions and place them at least 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- (Optional) For that classic “peanut butter cookie” shape, roll the dough into smooth balls and then roll them in granulated sugar. Place them on the baking sheet and use a fork to gently press them down into a disc.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or just until the cookies begin to brown around the edges. We want these cookies to be chewy so make sure not to overbake them!
- Allow the cookies to set completely on the tray before transferring them to airtight storage. These cookies will keep at room temperature for up to five days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 154Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 135mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 4g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.