Get the Chick-fil-A experience right at home with this easy air fryer chicken sandwich recipe! Super crispy, easy to make, and every bit as delicious as the original.
Get ready to satisfy your Chick-fil-A cravings without ever needing to leave the house!
This air fryer chicken sandwich recipe is crispy, golden perfection with just the right kick of spice to keep you coming back for more.
The secret is the milk and pickle juice marinade that tenderizes the chicken while locking in the moisture. That’s how you get such a crispy chicken sandwich that still stays irresistibly juicy on the inside!
And thanks to the magic of the air fryer, you’ll get that juicy, crispy chicken breast without all the excess oil used for deep frying.
So whether you’re a fan of Chick-fil-A or just looking for the best homemade sandwich recipe, this one’s a winner!
How to Make an Air Fryer Chicken Sandwich
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Cut the chicken breasts in half so you have four smaller pieces. Use a meat mallet to pound each one to ½-inch thickness.
STEP TWO: Place the chicken in a large glass bowl, then add the pickle juice and a ½ cup of milk. Toss the chicken in the bowl, making sure each piece is covered in liquid.
STEP THREE: Place the bowl in the refrigerator and marinate it for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours. Drain well through a finer mesh sieve.
STEP FOUR: In a wide, shallow bowl, whisk the egg with the remaining milk. In a second bowl, combine the flour, salt, paprika, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne.
STEP FIVE: Dredge the chicken, one piece at a time, through the flour mixture, then through the egg, then back through the flour until it’s well coated. Set the chicken aside on a baking sheet for about 15 minutes to allow the flour to set.
STEP SIX: Place the chicken in a single layer inside the basket. Spray the top of the chicken with cooking oil spray.
STEP SEVEN: Air fry for 15 minutes at 400 degrees F, then carefully flip the chicken and continue cooking for 6-8 more minutes until golden brown and crispy.
STEP EIGHT: Finish your air fried chicken sandwich by serving it with hamburger buns, dill pickle slices, lettuce, tomato, and any desired sauces.
What to Serve with an Air Fried Chicken Sandwich
More Delicious Sandwich Recipes
- Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Air Fryer PB&J
- Air Fryer Tuna Melt
- Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
- Turkey Avocado Sandwich
Tips for Making the Best Air Fryer Chicken Sandwich
- Patience is key when marinating the chicken. Give it at least 45 minutes to really lock in the moisture and help flavor the meat.
- Dredge your chicken twice. Start in the flour mixture, then the egg, then back into the flour mixture for a second time to get that crispy, breaded exterior.
- Let the chicken rest after coating it in flour. A good 15 minutes helps the coating adhere better for the ultimate crispy bite.
- Use cooking oil spray to help the flour really crisp up and to prevent sticking.
- Lay the chicken breast pieces in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Don’t forget to flip after 15 minutes to make the crispiest air fried chicken sandwich!
How Long to Cook Your Chicken Sandwich in the Air Fryer
Getting that perfect crispy-yet-tender chicken sandwich in the air fryer takes about 23 minutes.
Flip the chicken sandwich after about 15 minutes of cooking to make sure each side gets nice and crispy.
Can I Use Bone-in Chicken for this Recipe?
It’s best to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts as they cook more evenly and are easier to pound thin.
However, you can still make this recipe with bone-in chicken; just be sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly and remove the bone before placing on a sandwich bun.
How do I store leftover chicken sandwiches?
Store any leftover chicken sandwiches in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat, place it in the air fryer at 350 degrees F for 5-6 minutes until warmed through and crispy!
Other Air Fryer Chicken Recipes You’ll Love:
- Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Thighs
- Frozen Chicken Tenders in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Shake and Bake Chicken in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons milk, divided
- ½ cup dill pickle juice
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- cooking oil spray
- Cut chicken breast in half, creating 4 smaller pieces. Use a meat mallet to pound them to 1/2-inch thickness.
- Place the chicken in a large glass bowl, then add ½ cup of milk and the pickle juice.
- Toss the chicken in the bowl and make sure each piece is covered in the liquid, then place the bowl in the refrigerator and marinate it for at least 30 minutes, up to 2 hours.
- Drain well through a finer mesh sieve.
- In a wide, shallow bowl, whisk the egg with the remaining milk.
- In a second bowl, combine the flour, salt, paprika, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne.
- Dredge the chicken, one piece at a time, through the flour mixture, then through the egg, then back through the flour until it is well coated.
- Set the chicken aside on a baking sheet for about 15 minutes, allowing the flour to set.
- Place the chicken in a single layer inside the basket.
- Spray the top of the chicken with the cooking oil spray.
- Air fry for 15 minutes at 400F, then carefully flip the chicken and continue cooking it for 6-8 more minutes, until golden brown and crispy and 165F inside.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 295Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 1259mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 24g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.