Instant Pot flank steak is the ultimate busy weeknight dinner. It is full of flavor, an economical cut of beef, and dinner is on the table in mere minutes.
My family loves beef, especially steak. But let’s be honest, steak is not exactly an inexpensive meal these days. Instant Pot flank steak is so easy, it is one of my favorite weeknight meals. The trick is to cook it hot and fast, making sure to finish the center of the flank steak at medium rare for tenderness and flavor.
Typically, flank steak is cooked on the grill or on the stovetop. But the hot and fast requirement for tender flank steak makes it perfect for pressure cooking. And the Instant Pot will save you lots of time in washed dishes and grill prep!
Flank steak in the Instant Pot is an amazing main dish when sliced and served with your favorite veggie side dish. But it also works great for other recipes! Serve it sliced thin or shredded for tacos, fajitas, or steak sandwiches. Or grab your favorite Asian veggies — Instant Pot Flank Steak makes great stir fry.
Next time your family says they are craving steak for dinner, don’t hide your wallet. Pressure cooker flank steak is perfect for family meals. Delicious, quick, and affordable!
And if you haven’t already, try making flank steak in the air fryer too!
I made this recipe using my Instant Pot 6-Quart Duo Nova. It’s the perfect size for my family of four and makes releasing the steam so much easier than the standard Instant Pot.
How to Make Instant Pot Flank Steak
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Heat the Instant Pot on Sauté More mode, then add the olive oil.
STEP TWO: Season both sides of the steak with steak seasoning and sear it for a minute per side after the display reads Hot.
STEP THREE: Move the flank steak to a plate and hit Cancel on your pressure cooker.
STEP FOUR: Pour in the beef broth and deglaze the pan. Place flank steak in the Instant Pot again.
STEP FIVE: Seal the lid on the pot and cook on Manual High for 2 minutes. Do a quick pressure release, then transfer flank steak from the pressure cooker to the cutting board. Allow to rest for 5 minutes.
STEP SIX: Slice the steak against the grain and serve!
What to Serve With Flank Steak in the Instant Pot
- Air Fryer Asparagus
- Air Fryer Broccoli
- Air Fryer Baby Potatoes
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- Garlic Cheese Bread
- Baked Sweet Potato in the Air Fryer
Variations for Pressure Cooker Flank Steak
- Add extra flavor. Top your finished Instant Pot flank steak with compound butter. It is easy to make yourself — just soften your butter, add minced herbs and garlic, roll the butter in wax paper, and pop it back in the fridge. Once it is solid, slice up pieces and pop them on top of your hot flank steak from the pressure cooker.
- Use a marinade. Find a good deal at the grocery store? Grab a couple of flank steaks and pop them into gallon freezer bags with different marinades. It makes prepping for dinner really easy when the steak is flavored and ready to be cooked!
- Thinly slice your leftovers for steak quesadillas later in the week.
- Make steak sandwiches. Toast a hoagie with cheese and top with sliced pressure cooker flank steak.
What is the Best Way to Cook Flank Steak?
Grilling is the most common way to cook flank steak. But any method that minimizes cooking time is a winner! We love the instant pot for weeknight meals because it is just so darn easy. Just sear it on either side, simmer it a few minutes, and serve it medium rare for flank steak pressure cooker style.
How do you Cook Flank Steak so it’s not Chewy?
Flank steak should always be cooked to medium rare. I know you may be tempted to cook it longer, but you’ll lose that tenderness you’re looking for. Flank steak is a very lean cut of meat, which means if you cook it well done, you are not going to enjoy it as much.
Does the Instant Pot Tenderize Meat?
Your Instant Pot is a great tool for making sure your meat comes out tender and delicious. But, how you slice it matters too! Cut leaner cuts of meat like flank steak and skirt steak against the grain for a more tender mouthfeel. Look for the lines that run through the meat, then cut across them instead of parallel to them. This breaks up those tough fibers so the meat is easier to chew.
More Instant Pot Steak Recipes
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks
- Instant Pot Fajitas
- Instant Pot Navy Bean Soup
- Instant Pot French Onion Chicken
- 1 pound flank steak, about 1-inch thick
- 2 teaspoons steak seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ cup beef broth
- Heat the Instant Pot on SAUTE MORE mode, add the olive oil.
- Meanwhile, season the steak with the seasoning on both sides. When the display reads HOT, place the steak in the pot and sear for 1 minute per side.
- Remove the steak to a plate and press CANCEL.
- Pour in the beef broth and deglaze the pot with a wooden spoon, removing the browned bits. Return the steak to the pot.
- Secure and seal the lid, then cook on MANUAL HIGH for 2 minutes.
- When the time is up, do a quick pressure release and immediately transfer the steak to a cutting board, allowing it to rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice the steak against the grain and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 339Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 119mgSodium: 629mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 43g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.