Easy Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff is flavored with ground beef and mushrooms while topped with a creamy sour cream sauce with egg noodles.
Whether you just got a new Instant pot and are looking for new recipes or are more experienced and looking for something new to please the entire family, this Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff recipe is what you need.
It’s flavorful, creamy, and done in less than 30 minutes! I love to pair it with Air Fryer Vegetables and this super easy cheesy garlic bread recipe.
Here’s what I’m going to show you in this post.
- How to make Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff
- How to substitute the sour cream and other ingredients depending on what you have on
- How to keep your sauce from curdling
- How to cook a double batch of this mouthwatering ground beef and noodle recipe!
This recipe is made without cream of mushroom soup for a fresh flavor that’s healthier than the canned version.
I made this recipe using my Instant Pot 6-Quart Duo Nova. It’s the perfect size for my family of four and makes releasing the steam so much easier than the standard Instant Pot.
How to Make Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Set your Instant Pot to Saute mode. Once it shows the word, “HOT,” add in 1 tablespoon of the oil and brown your ground beef with a little salt and pepper for seasoning.
Once it has browned, carefully remove it from the Instant Pot and set it aside.
STEP TWO: Add another tablespoon of oil into the hot Instant Pot and sauté the sliced mushrooms until they are soft and shrink in size, about 5 minutes.
Remove them from the Instant Pot and place them in a separate bowl.
STEP THREE: Add in another tablespoon of oil (if needed) and sauté your onions until they become soft and caramelized about 3 minutes.
Add in the minced garlic and cook for one more minute, stirring continuously until you can start to smell the garlic. This means it’s releasing its flavor.
STEP FOUR: Add the ground beef back into the Instant Pot with the onions and garlic. Add in the beef broth and tomato paste. Push down any pieces of ground beef that are not covered by the liquid to ensure equal cooking.
STEP FIVE: Lock the Instant Pot lid in place and pressure cook on high (or manual) for 4 minutes. Let the pot natural release then open the lid.
STEP SIX: Mix the cornstarch and water in a small bowl to make a slurry. Add it to your Instant Pot and stir. A slurry helps thicken up your sauce. The water and cornstarch must be mixed before adding for it to work properly.
STEP SEVEN: Turn your Instant Pot to Saute and add in the sour cream and cooked mushrooms and mix. Add in your egg noodles and cover completely in the mushroom gravy mixture.
Press cancel on your Instant Pot and close the lid for about 10 minutes, just letting the egg noodles cook in the sauce on residual heat.
Transfer into bowls and enjoy!
How Do I Natural Release My Instant Pot?
There are two kinds of releases when using the pressure cooker function on your Instant Pot — a quick-release and a natural release.
The natural release, which is used in this recipe, is when you let the pressure come down naturally when the pressure cooker has hit 0 minutes. Basically, you wait until the pressure comes down, which can take about 10 minutes.
A quick release is when you flip the valve on the pressure cooker to immediately release the pressure. I recommend doing a natural release on this recipe to allow the flavors blend together longer creating a more flavorful dinner.
What Can I Use in Place of Sour Cream in Beef Stroganoff?
There’s nothing worse than getting halfway through this beef stroganoff recipe to realize you don’t have that sour cream you thought was in the back of your fridge.
While I recommend using sour cream in normal circumstances for true flavor, you can use one of the following options in a pinch.
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Cream cheese
- Half cream cheese and half buttermilk or heavy cream
Other Substitutions You Can Make:
You will get the most flavor and creaminess making this Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff recipe as written at the bottom of this post. If you find yourself in a pinch, you can make the other following substitutions.
- Switch out the chicken broth for beef broth – beef broth will give a more signature flavor, but chicken broth will work in a pinch
- Use ground turkey instead of hamburger beef
Can You Put Raw Ground Beef in an Instant Pot?
One thing that differentiates an Instant Pot from a normal pressure cooker is the Sauté method. It does allow you to put raw ground inside and sauté it, just like you would on a normal stove!
That means fewer dishes to clean up!
How Do You Keep Stroganoff sauce from curdling?
If you stick cold sour cream into a hot pot of ground beef and noodles, your sour cream may be the victim of curdling.
To avoid it from curdling, place it in a small bowl. Scoop a tablespoon or two of the beef stroganoff liquid into your sour cream and mix.
This will help slowly increase the temperature of the sour cream and temper it.
Add the mixture into the Beef Stroganoff recipe and mix as usual.
How Can I Double This Batch?
One of my favorite things about the Instant Pot is how you can make extra food inside it in the same amount of time.
Our family loves to eat leftovers so we always make a double batch to make dinner even easier the next night.
Simply double the ingredients in this recipe (making sure you do not go over the max line) and cook for the same time.
More Instant Pot Recipes You’ll Love:
- Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff
- Instant Pot 5-Ingredient Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot French Onion Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Taco Bowls
- Instant Pot Potato Salad with Eggs
- Instant Pot Frozen Potstickers
Love using your Instant Pot or Air Frying? Join our newsletter! You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, or join our free Facebook Air Frying Community.
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
Beef stroganoff is made in the Instant Pot with hamburger, mushrooms, and egg noodles for a healthy version of an instant classic.
- 1 pound of ground beef
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 5 ounces of mushrooms, slice (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces egg noodles, uncooked
- Set your Instant Pot to Saute mode. Once it shows the word, “HOT,” add in 1 tablespoon of the oil and brown your ground beef with a little salt and pepper for seasoning. Remove ground beef from Instant Pot.
- Add another tablespoon of oil into the hot Instant Pot and sauté the sliced mushrooms until they are soft and shrink in size, about 5 minutes. Remove them from the Instant Pot and place them in a separate bowl.
- Add in another tablespoon of oil (if needed) and sauté your onions until they become soft and caramelized about 3 minutes. Add in the minced garlic and cook for one more minute, stirring continuously until you can start to smell the garlic.
- Add the ground beef back into the Instant Pot with the onions and garlic. Add in the beef broth and tomato paste. Push down any pieces of ground beef that are not covered by the ground beef to ensure equal cooking.
- Lock the Instant Pot lid in place and pressure cook on high (or manual) for 4 minutes. Let the Instant Pot natural release then open the lid.
- Mix the cornstarch and water in a small bowl to make a slurry. Add it to your Instant Pot and stir.
- Turn your Instant Pot to Saute and add in the sour cream and cooked mushrooms and mix. Add in your egg noodles and cover completely in the mushroom gravy mixture.
- Press cancel on your Instant Pot and close the lid for about 10 minutes, just letting the egg noodles cook in the sauce on residual heat. Spoon into bowls and enjoy!
Transfer into bowls and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 536Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 133mgSodium: 546mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 36g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.
2 thoughts on “Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff”
I found this recipe to be a bit bland, and as its written, somewhat confusing!
The ingredient list calls for butter and tomato paste, however, in the recipe directions, it doesnt include either ingredient.
And just a wording issue, “Let the Instant Pot manual release then open the lid.” i assumed and hoped that meant do a quick release and not a natural release, and that’s what i did. Thankfully it was the right thing!
I’d never made stroganoff before, and if i do it again, i will tweek it and add more seasoning.
Hi Becky, I appreciate your feedback. I have added the tomato paste into the directions as it should be added in when the beef broth gets added.
I have also clarified the instructions to include that this recipe calls for a natural release to allow for the ingredients to blend together longer and how to do this on an Instant Pot, which is why the dish wasn’t as flavorful as you may have wished with a quick-release.
I appreciate you