This Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff recipe is hearty, delicious, and so easy to make! You’ll be amazed how these simple ingredients can create such big flavor.
If you ask me, the best comfort foods should be easy to make and simple to clean up so the only thing you have to focus on is your delicious meal. That’s why I love this Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff recipe!
All you need is your pressure cooker and a bowl, no other equipment required.
And the result is rich, creamy, delicious tender chicken breasts served over egg noodle pasta. It’s a hearty dish the whole family is sure to love.
Here’s what I’m going to teach you in this post:
- How to make easy chicken stroganoff with cream of mushroom soup right in your Instant Pot
- How to temper the cream cheese and sour cream
- How to make Instant Pot chicken and mushroom stroganoff
- What to use instead of cream of mushroom soup
When you’re in the mood for comfort food that won’t require tons of prep or clean-up, try this easy Instant Pot stroganoff. It may become a new family favorite!
How To Make This Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff Recipe
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Add the skinless chicken breasts cut into chunks, onion, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to the Instant Pot. Mix together to coat the chicken, then spread out the chicken to lay flat.
STEP TWO: Add the fresh mushrooms (if using) followed by the egg noodles in an even layer. I like to use cremini or button mushrooms.
STEP THREE: Add in the chicken broth, then pour the canned mushroom soup over everything. Do not stir. The egg noodles will still cook even if not fully submerged in the soup or broth.
STEP FOUR: Set your Instant Pot to pressure cook for three minutes on high pressure.
Once it’s finished, let it natural release.
STEP FIVE: When the pressure gauge drops, remove the lid from the Instant Pot and stir the ingredients. Transfer ¼ cup of the mixture to a bowl. Add in cream cheese and sour cream, then stir to combine. This will temper the cold ingredients so they do not curdle in the stroganoff.
STEP SIX: Add the cream cheese mixture back into the Instant Pot, stir all the ingredients together, then serve!
What Is Stroganoff Sauce Made Of?
The sauce for chicken stroganoff is easy to make, but so full of flavor. I would eat it like soup.
The base of the sauce is made with cream of mushroom soup, chicken broth, onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Easy enough, right? Then, once this mixture has cooked in the pressure cooker, you’ll add cream cheese and sour cream to give it that perfect creaminess.
Will Cream Cheese Curdle In The Instant Pot?
Yes, cream cheese will curdle when cooked under pressure. That’s why it’s important to add it to the chicken stroganoff sauce until after it’s finished cooking.
You will also want to temper the cream cheese and sour cream.
Otherwise, adding the cold ingredients directly to the hot stroganoff could cause them to curdle. And we don’t want any curdling in our smooth sauce!
How To Temper the Sour Cream and Cream Cheese
Tempering cold ingredients is very easy:
- Once the Instant Pot has finished cooking and the pressure has dropped, open the lid and transfer ¼ cup of the stroganoff sauce to a bowl.
- Add the cream cheese and sour cream to the bowl.
- Stir to combine.
- Add the mixture back to the Instant Pot.
By mixing the cream cheese and the sour cream with a little of the stroganoff sauce, this will temper the cold ingredients and prevent them from curdling.
Tips to Make a Delicious Stroganoff Dinner
- Make sure all of the egg noodles are covered with liquid or wet. Uncovered noodles may not cook fully
- Temper the sour cream and cream cheese to avoid curdling using the directions above
- Use only fresh skinless boneless chicken breasts for best results. Frozen chicken may not cook fully and cooking longer will result in overcooking the noodles
- Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days
- Reheat this chicken dinner by placing it in the microwave for about 1 to 2 minutes covered until fully heated
How Can I Make an Instant Pot Chicken and Mushroom Stroganoff
If you love mushrooms as much as I do, then this option is for you!
To make Instant Pot chicken and mushroom stroganoff, simply add in 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms right before you add the egg noodle pasta. The mushrooms will cook with the other ingredients in the pressure cooker and take on a wonderful flavor.
As long as I don’t have any picky eaters that turn their nose up at mushrooms, this is my favorite way to make stroganoff.
What to Serve with Chicken Stroganoff in the Instant Pot
- Garlic Cheese Bread
- Air Fryer Carrots
- Simple salad with blue cheese dressing
- Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potatoes
How Can I Make This Recipe Without Cream Of Mushroom Soup?
For convenience, I like to make my Instant Pot chicken stroganoff with cream of mushroom soup. I usually have a can in the pantry, so it’s an easy option for me.
But if you don’t want to use cream of mushroom soup, that’s no problem! Just use the ingredients from my Instant Pot beef stroganoff recipe, but swap out the beef broth for chicken broth.
Other Instant Pot Recipes You’ll Love:
- Instant Pot Frozen Dumplings
- Instant Pot French Onion Chicken
- Instant Pot Glazed Carrots Recipe
- 5-Ingredient Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts or chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (or 2 cloves of garlic, minced)
- 8 ounces wide egg noodles
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup (10.5oz)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Add the chopped chicken, diced onion, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to the Instant Pot and mix Spread out the chicken in an even layer.
- Add in the egg noodles evenly, followed by the fresh mushroom (if using).
- Pour the chicken broth then the canned cream of mushroom soup over top of everything. Do not stir, but push down the food to be in an even layer.
- Set the pressure cooker to 3 minutes on high pressure, then let it naturally release.
- Remove the lid from the Instant Pot and stir ingredients. Place cream cheese and sour cream in a bowl and add 1/4 cup of the chicken stroganoff into the bowl and mix. Add another 1/4 cup of stroganoff and repeat. This tempers the cold ingredients so they do not curdle in the Instant Pot.
- Add the cream cheese mixture into the Instant, stir all ingredients together, then serve!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 609Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 208mgSodium: 1251mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 61g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.