This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclaimer here.
A quick and easy way to steam frozen dumplings in an Instant Pot to get a perfectly cooked dinner in minutes. Plus, a quick dipping sauce to go with it!
Frozen potstickers have become a staple in our house. Whether you like them the authentic way soft on the top and crispy on the bottom or soft throughout, this way of steaming potstickers is perfect.
I am going to tell you how to steam frozen dumplings in the Instant, how to crisp up the bottoms of the potstickers, and how to use a steamer basket in your Instant Pot to get the best results.
Since this recipe uses the high-pressure function on the Instant Pot, it will work on any electric pressure cooker.
These directions will work for any precooked frozen dumplings. That includes vegetable dumplings, pork potstickers, gyoza, and even the Ling Ling brand!
Like your dumplings and potstickers more crispy? Try cooking your frozen dumplings in an air fryer!
How to Make Instant Pot Frozen Potstickers
- Place one cup of water inside the Instant Pot. This allows the pressure cooker to come to pressure and steam the dumplings.
- Place your steamer basket inside the Instant Pot (read more on what you can use below) and then place the frozen potstickers in the Instant Pot all in one layer. The potstickers should not touch the water in any way.
- Close and seal the Instant Pot and pressure cook on high for 3 minutes. After 3 minutes, carefully quick release all the pressure, remove the lid, and enjoy!
How Do I Crisp Up the Bottoms of Frozen Dumplings in the Instant Pot?
Potstickers are often served with the bottom side crispy. To replicate this, you can cook the dumplings in one of two ways.
- Remove the cooked frozen potstickers from the Instant Pot and place it in a heated pan with oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes on medium until the bottoms are golden brown.
- If using an Instant Pot, you will have access to the Saute feature. Before steaming the potstickers, place a tablespoon of oil on the bottom of the Instant Pot and saute the dumplings for about 1-2 minutes until the bottoms are browned.
How Do I Quick Release My Instant Pot?
This frozen dumpling recipe calls for pressure cooking and quick releasing your Instant Pot.
To quick release, simply flick the vent on the pressure cooker open so steam continuously comes out. All pressure has been released when the metal valve has dropped back down.
Tips for Quick Releasing Your Instant Pot
- Use a long oven mitt to flick the vent. This will eliminate the chance of burning yourself from the steam.
- Point the steam away from the wall and any other object by slowly moving the entire Instant Pot before opening the steam vent.
- If the steam starts splattering in any way, quickly stop the venting process by flicking the vent back down. Wait about 10 seconds, then try again.
- Never place a towel or any other item on top of the steam valve. This obstructs the valve and can be a fire hazard among other things.
What Kind of Steamer Basket Can I Use in My Instant Pot?
Instant Pots are very versatile when it comes to choosing a steamer basket. You can use steel, silicone, or even bamboo – yes, that’s right! You can use a bamboo steamer basket in the Instant Pot!
For this recipe, I used a standard steel steamer basket, but silicone and bamboo work great if you have any issues with your steamer basket sticking.
Here are a few of my favorite steamer basket options to use:
An Easy Dipping Sauce for Frozen Dumplings
Here is a quick 5-minute dipping sauce you can pull together while your frozen dumplings are cooking in your Instant Pot.
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or molasses)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Mix the soy sauce, water, maple syrup, garlic powder, rice wine vinegar, and red pepper flakes in a bowl until combined.
Other Instant Pot Recipes You’ll Love:
- Instant Pot French Onion Chicken
- Instant Pot Strawberry Applesauce
- 5-Ingredient Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- 8 ounces frozen pot stickers (about 12 pot stickers)
- 1 cup water
- Place one cup of water inside the Instant Pot or pressure cooker.
- Put your steamer basket inside of Instant Pot and place frozen potstickers inside.
- Close the Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for 3 minutes (manual).
- Quick release the Instant Pot and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 159Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 287mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 7g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.