This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclaimer here.
Delicious air fryer tuna steaks with an Asian ginger soy marinade that complements the sweet and creamy flavor of this yellowfin favorite.
An air fryer is known to cook just about everything in it and fish is no exception. From everything from air fryer salmon to frozen shrimp to these ahi tuna steaks in the air fryer, you have plenty of seafood recipes to choose from!
I’m going to show you how to cook this delicious ginger soy tuna steak in an air fryer, explain exactly what ahi tuna is and how often you should eat it (and how), and how to cook frozen tuna steaks inside your air fryer.
I used the Cosori 5.8QT Air Fryer for this recipe. It’s square basket gives me more than enough room to double this recipe for a family of 4.
What is Ahi Tuna?
“Ahi” comes from the Hawaiian word that basically means yellowfin tuna.
It can be found in many local grocery stores and compares to the similarly named bluefin tuna – it just costs less.
Is It Safe to Eat Raw Tuna Steaks?
Ahi tuna is commonly used in sushi – AKA raw fish, so it is completely safe to eat raw tuna in moderation.
These tuna steaks are intended to be cooked rare to raw in the middle and fried on the outside. It gives tuna the creamy texture that it’s loved for.
Is Ahi Tuna Healthier than Salmon?
The two fish are very comparable in nutrition and are healthy in their own ways.
Yellowfin tuna steaks contain less fat than salmon and provide 8 more grams of protein for every 4 ½ ounces. Salmon, on the other hand, contains more omega-3 fatty acids.
Whichever air fryer fish you choose, you’re still making a healthy decision.
Try out these other air fryer seafood recipes:
How to Make Air Fryer Tuna Steaks
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
I recommend using wild-caught ahi tuna in this recipe. Wild-caught fish tends to contain more flavor and nutrients.
- Pull your raw tuna steaks out of the fridge.
- Put together your marinade by combining the soy sauce, minced ginger, rice vinegar, honey, and sesame oil. I like to mince my ginger by using an inexpensive Microplane.
- Add the air fryer tuna steak to the marinade. Cover and place in the fridge for 20 to 30 minutes.
- You can also make this recipe without marinating the tuna – keep reading below to find out.
- Preheat air fryer to 380 degrees.
- Remove tuna steaks from marinade, shaking slightly to remove excess marinade, and place inside the air fryer.
- Cook for 4 minutes (for medium-rare tuna) then remove from the air fryer and let rest for about 5 minutes before slicing.
- Garnish with chopped green onions and sesame seeds if desired and enjoy!
Ahi Tuna Steaks in Air Fryer Times
- Rare: 3 minutes
- Medium-Rare: 4 minutes
- Medium: 4 ½ minutes
- Well Done: 5 minutes
Can I Make This Recipe Without Marinating the Tuna?
Yes! We’ve all been there. You buy all the ingredients for dinner and then go to make it quick and realize it needs to marinade and don’t have time.
Here’s how to make this recipe without marinating it and still getting that ginger-soy flavor.
- Make marinade as stated above in the recipe.
- Remove half of the marinade and set it to the side.
- Toss the tuna into the remaining marinade while preheating your air fryer.
- Cook the tuna steaks as stated in the recipe.
- Remove tuna steaks from the air fryer, let rest, then baste some of the remaining marinade over top of the tuna.
- Use the remaining marinade after slicing to serve with the tuna.
How to Cook Frozen Tuna Steaks in an Air Fryer
Clearly, I’ve been here too. While I always recommend thawing the tuna in a fridge overnight, you can still cook the tuna from frozen.
- Preheat air fryer to 380 degrees and cook the frozen ahi tuna steaks for 4 minutes. This will help thaw the tuna, but not cook it.
- Put the marinade together as shown in the recipe and set half aside in a small bowl.
- Remove the yellowfin tuna steak from the air fryer and marinade it in the remaining marinade. I recommend marinating it for at least 10 minutes, if possible.
- Place marinated tuna steaks inside the air fryer and cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes.
- Let the tuna steaks rest for 5 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
How To Use Leftover Tuna Steaks
Since tuna is a very lean fish, it tends to become dry and tasteless when overcooked. For this reason, I do not recommend reheating tuna steak in an air fryer or reheating it at all.
Leftover tuna steak tastes great when eaten cold mixed in a salad like this Grilled Tuscan Tuna Salad recipe.
What Should I Serve with Tuna Steaks?
Since tuna steaks cook quickly in the air fryer, it’s a great recipe to make alongside other air fryer side dishes.
Here are a few options:
- Air Fryer Hush Puppies
- Easy Air Fryer Asian-Style Green Beans
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- Air Fryer Asparagus
- 2 (6 ounce) boneless and skinless yellowfin tuna steaks
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar
Optional for serving
- green onions, sliced
- sesame seeds
- Remove the tuna steaks from the fridge.
- In a large bowl, combine the soy sauce, honey, grated ginger, sesame oil, and rice vinegar.
- Place tuna steaks in the marinade and let marinate for 20-30 minutes covered in the fridge.
- Preheat air fryer to 380 degrees and then cook the tuna steaks in one layer for 4 minutes.
- Let the air fryer tuna steaks rest for a minute or two, then slice, and enjoy immediately! Garnish with green onions and/or sesame seeds if desired.
How to Cook Frozen Tuna Steaks in Air Fryer
1. Preheat air fryer to 380 degrees.
2. Cook frozen tuna steaks for 3 minutes then follow recipe above.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 422Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 127mgSodium: 1832mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 0gSugar: 6gProtein: 44g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently. This nutritional calculator also includes ingredients for the full amount of the marinade while some will be tossed after the marination process takes place.