For a big, bold flavor and melt-in-your-mouth tender texture, you have to try this air fryer tri tip! The recipe is incredibly easy, but the taste will knock your socks off.
Looking for a steak recipe that’s impressive enough for entertaining but easy enough for a busy weeknight?
Air fryer tri tip only takes a few minutes of hands-on prep for a melt-in-your-mouth dish that’s worthy of any special occasion!
An easy marinade adds to the tri tip roast’s natural flavor for a truly memorable bite. Once you’re ready to cook, you can go from fridge to table in 40 minutes including rest time!
From family dinners to celebrations, marinated tri tip steak will become your go-to dish. It’s so easy, and everyone will be clamoring for seconds! It’s a guaranteed crowd-pleaser.
How to Make Air Fryer Tri Tip
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: In a large plastic zipper bag, combine the soy sauce, lemon juice, olive oil, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper.
STEP TWO: Add the roast to the bag, squeeze out any air, then seal the bag shut. Move the roast around in the bag to coat, then refrigerate it for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
STEP THREE: When ready to cook, remove the roast from the bag, discard the marinade, and let it rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
STEP FOUR: Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F.
STEP FIVE: Spray the inner basket with cooking oil spray, then place the roast inside the basket.
STEP SIX: Cook for 10-12 minutes per pound until it reaches your desired level of doneness.
STEP SEVEN: Remove the roast from the air fryer and transfer it to a cutting board. Tent with foil and allow it to rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
What to Serve with Air Fryer Tri Tip Roast
- Air Fryer Asparagus
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- Air Fryer Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Baked Sweet Potato in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Blooming Onion
- Ninja Foodi Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Carrots and Asparagus
How Long to Cook Tri Tip in the Air Fryer
The rule of thumb is that you want to cook your roast for 10-12 minutes per pound. So for a 3 pound tri tip roast, you should plan to cook it for 30-36 minutes total.
You can also use an Instant Read Thermometer to help you cook the steak to your desired level of doneness.
For medium rare, you want the internal temperature of the roast to reach 130 degrees F. For medium, air fry the roast until it reaches 140 degrees F.
If you prefer medium-well, wait until the internal temperature reaches 150 degrees F.
Tips for Making the Best Air Fryer Tri Tip Roast
- Let the roast marinate for at least a few hours if possible. This will allow the beef to soak up all those amazing flavors!
- Give the roast 30 minutes to come to room temperature before cooking. You don’t want the steak to be completely cold going into the air fryer.
- Always preheat the air fryer. This will give you the most even cooking results.
- For medium rare, cook the tri tip in the air fryer for about 30 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 130 degrees F.
- Let the roast rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing. This will allow the meat to cool, which relaxes the fibers so they can reabsorb their juices. Otherwise, when you slice into the roast, all the juices will run out and the meat will be dry.
More Delicious Air Fryer Steak Recipes
- Air Fryer Chuck Roast
- Air Fryer Flank Steak
- Air Fryer Filet Mignon
- Air Fryer London Broil
- Air Fryer Roast Beef
- Air Fryer Ribeye Steak
- Air Fryer Sirloin Steak
- Air Fryer Skirt Steak
- Air Fryer Steak
- Air Fryer Steak Bites
- Frozen Steak in the Air Fryer
More Steak Recipes
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ - 2 pound tri tip beef roast
- In a large plastic zipper bag, combine the soy sauce, lemon juice, olive oil, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper.
- Add the roast to the bag, squeeze out any air, then seal the bag shut. Move the roast around in the bag to coat, then refrigerate it for at least 1 hour, up to overnight.
- When ready to cook, remove the roast from the bag, discard the marinade, and let it rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F. Spray the inner basket with cooking oil spray, then place the roast inside the basket. Cook it for 10-12 minutes per pound until it reaches your desired level of doneness - 130F for medium-rare, 140F for medium, 150F for medium-well.
- Remove the roast from the air fryer and transfer it to a cutting board. Tent it with foil and allow it to rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 523Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 151mgSodium: 595mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 49g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.