Nothing is more delicious and comforting than a bowl of this extra creamy 3 ingredient mac and cheese slow cooker recipe. Ditch the box for good and prepare to serve up seconds of this cheesy goodness!
It is no secret that we love easy mac and cheese recipes around here, but this 3 ingredient mac and cheese slow cooker recipe has become my go-to. Not only is it super rich and extra creamy, I can dump all the ingredients in the slow cooker without having to constantly stir and watch the pot.
The low fuss method for slow cooker mac and cheese works great for busy family nights, potlucks, and parties, or when I just need to make some space on my stove and have one less thing to watch!
Crock pot mac and cheese is the perfect recipe for creamy, cheesy indulgence. Use this recipe as a base for your family’s favorite flavors. Like your cheese mild or strong? Need to use up that block of cheese in the refrigerator? Change up the cheese to fit your preferences — it just needs to be cheese that is good for melting!
Toss in some cooked chicken or ham to make it a more complete meal. You can even sneak in some veggies!
How to Make 3 Ingredient Mac and Cheese in Slow Cooker
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Add the noodles, evaporated milk, shredded cheese, salt, and pepper to a large slow cooker. Stir your ingredients well, then add diced cream cheese to the top (if using). Pour boiling water over the top of the noodle mixture.
STEP TWO: Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 1 ½-2 hour. Stir the mixture well about halfway through the cook time. Cook until the pasta is tender and the cheeses are melted.
STEP THREE: Stir well before serving. Slow cooker mac and cheese recipe will thicken as it sits!
What to Serve With Easy Crock Pot Mac and Cheese
- Cast Iron Chicken Breast
- Air Fryer Tri Tip
- Air Fryer Pork Chops with Flour
- Air Fryer Pork Tenderloin
- Air Fryer Brats
- Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks
Variations for 3 Ingredient Mac and Cheese
- Love extra creamy, cheesy sauce? Swap your cheddar cheese for Velveeta cubes. It will have a milder cheese flavor and a super creamy sauce.
- Love the cheddar but still want a super creamy mac and cheese? Toss in a little extra cream cheese with your cheddar!
- Want to make it a meal? Add diced chicken or ham to your slow cooker mac and cheese. Buffalo chicken and Cajun chicken add some extra heat.
- Play with flavors in your crock pot mac and cheese. Add a splash of hot sauce, or garlic powder, or even a can of green chilis for an easy flavorful kick!
How Do You Make Mac and Cheese in a Crockpot?
It’s so much easier than you think to make this 3 ingredient mac and cheese slow cooker recipe. Just add all of the ingredients (in the correct order), give it a stir, and let the appliance do its magic! Once the noodles are cooked through, it’s ready to serve.
Plus, this easy crock pot mac and cheese uses a no boil method! I have found that pouring boiling water over my noodle mixture then stirring it well really helps to make sure the elbow macaroni cooks evenly.
Will Dry Pasta Cook in a Slow Cooker?
Absolutely! The only trick is making sure you have the right liquid to pasta ratio so the pasta doesn’t burn or stick to the bottom. Thicker pasta noodles like this elbow macaroni also hold up a little better to the slow cooker than thinner pasta.
What is the Best Cheese for Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese?
The best cheese is always the cheese you love! But cheddar is definitely the cheese for traditional mac and cheese flavor. Cheese blends work great as well and can be used to create a milder flavor — or just use up what you have in your refrigerator. Just be sure it melts easily to get a creamy sauce.
You will find using cream cheese really helps make this 3 cheese mac and cheese slow cooker recipe extra creamy. You can also substitute Velveeta cubes for ultra creamy crock pot mac and cheese.
How to Make the Creamiest Mac and Cheese Ever?
There are a couple of ways to make this easy crock pot mac and cheese extra creamy.
- Use heavy cream if you prefer a recipe without evaporated milk.
- Don’t skip the cream cheese in the 3 cheese mac and cheese slow cooker recipe! It really adds the creamiest texture to your pasta.
- Substitute Velveeta cubes for some or all of your shredded cheddar cheese. It still has a great cheesy flavor but is made for melting.
More Crockpot Recipes
- Crockpot French Toast Casserole
- Mississippi Pot Roast
- Slow Cooker London Broil
- Crock Pot Chicken and Stuffing
- Crockpot Sweet Potato Casserole
- Crockpot Ham and Cabbage
More Mac and Cheese Recipes
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Mac and Cheese without Milk
- Bacon Mac and Cheese
- Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- Stovetop Mac and Cheese
- Ninja Foodi Mac and Cheese
- Mac and Cheese with Cream Cheese
- Mac and Cheese Bites in the Air Fryer
- 1 pound uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 (12oz) cans evaporated milk
- 4 cups freshly shredded cheese (blend of cheddar, monterey jack, or your favorite)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes (optional, but adds some nice creaminess)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups boiling water
- To a 6 quart slow cooker, add the noodles, evaporated milk, shredded cheese, salt, and pepper. Stir well, then scatter the cream cheese over the top. Pour in the boiling water.
- Cover, and cook on low heat for 1 ½-2 hours, stirring once around the 1 hour mark, until the pasta is tender and the cheeses have melted. The sauce will thicken as it sits.
- Stir before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 497Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 913mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 23g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.