Crock Pot Sweet Potato Casserole is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that combines the natural sweetness of sweet potatoes with a buttery, crunchy pecan topping. Perfect for family gatherings any time of the year!
Get ready to savor the irresistible delight of crockpot sweet potato casserole! Picture this: a luscious blend of sweet flavors, with the natural goodness of canned yams perfectly complemented by a scrumptious pecan topping.
The rich and velvety texture, along with the sweet and buttery notes of brown sugar, create a heavenly combination that will leave you craving more. The rich aroma of brown sugar and butter will fill your kitchen, making it impossible to resist this tempting treat.
But the real magic happens when you add marshmallows to the slow cooker sweet potato casserole. As you cook the sweet potato casserole in the slow cooker, these soft, gooey treats turn the dish into a candied wonderland. Every bite feels like a warm hug, making it the ideal comfort food for any occasion.
And the best part? It’s incredibly easy to make and enjoy crockpot sweet potato casserole. So, if you’re in the mood for a truly delightful treat that will please everyone at the table, look no further than this mouthwatering slow cooked sweet potato casserole!
How to Make Crock Pot Sweet Potato Casserole
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Prepare the slow cooker by spraying the inside with cooking spray.
STEP TWO: Drain the canned yams and transfer them to a large mixing bowl. Mash them using a potato masher or the back of a wooden spoon. Add ¼ cup melted butter, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, an egg, cinnamon, and salt to the mashed yams. Mix everything thoroughly.
STEP THREE: Spread the mashed sweet potato mixture evenly inside the crockpot.
STEP FOUR: In a separate small bowl, combine the remaining brown sugar, butter, chopped pecans, and flour. Mix well to create a crumbly topping. Spread this mixture evenly over the top of the soon-to-be slow cooked sweet potato casserole.
STEP FIVE: Close the lid and cook the sweet potato casserole in the slow cooker on low heat for 3-4 hours.
STEP SIX: In the last hour of cooking, sprinkle the top of the slow cooked sweet potato casserole with marshmallows to add a sweet and gooey touch.
What to Serve With Crock Pot Sweet Potato Casserole
- Air Fryer Turkey Breasts
- Baked Split Chicken Breast
- Cast Iron Pork Tenderloin
- Cast Iron Chicken Breasts
- Air Fryer Turkey Tenderloin
- Turkey Avocado Sandwiches
Variations for Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole
- Use coconut oil or ghee instead of butter for a dairy-free alternative.
- Enhance the spice profile by adding a pinch of nutmeg and cinnamon to the sweet potato mixture.
- Mix dried cranberries into the sweet potato mixture for a burst of tartness.
- Replace pecans with candied walnuts for a different nutty flavor.
More Sweet Potato Recipes
- Sweet Potato Casserole with Pineapple
- Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Easy Sweet Potato Casserole
- Sweet Potato Pie with Canned Yams
- Stovetop Candied Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Fries in the Air Fryer
- Cinnamon Sugar Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos
What Type of Yams Should I Use?
You will need cooked canned yams for this recipe. They often come in a syrup, so they need to be drained before you add them to the crockpot.
If you prefer to use fresh vegetables, steam or air fry whole sweet potatoes until soft, then scoop out the inner flesh and mash until smooth. You can also peel and cube the yams first and cook until softened before mashing.
When using fresh produce, aim for 2 ½ – 3 cups of mashed yams for this slow cooker sweet potato casserole recipe.
Are Yams and Sweet Potatoes Different?
In America, they’re often labeled interchangeably, but there is a difference!
Sweet potatoes are a familiar root vegetable with orange flesh found in the produce department, while genuine yams have white flesh, a rough skin, and are less common in typical American markets.
Do I Have To Use Canned Yams or Can I Use Fresh Sweet Potatoes?
Whatever you prefer is perfectly fine! If you prefer to use fresh vegetables, steam or air fry whole sweet potatoes until soft, then scoop out the inner flesh and mash until smooth.
You can also peel and cube the yams first and cook until softened before mashing.
When using fresh produce, aim for 2 ½ – 3 cups of mashed sweet potatoes for this crockpot sweet potato casserole recipe.
More Crock Pot Recipes To Try
- Tri Tip Crock Pot
- Crockpot French Toast Casserole
- Crockpot Ham and Cabbage
- Slow Cooker London Broil
- Sirloin Tip Roast in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- 1 (40 ounce) canned cooked yams, drained
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted, divided
- ½ cup brown sugar, divided
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 8 ounces miniature marshmallows
- Spray the inside crock of a slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Drain the canned yams, transfer them to a large mixing bowl, and mash them with a potato masher or the back of a wooden spoon. Add ¼ cup melted butter, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, egg, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well.
- Spread the mashed sweet potato mixture evenly in the crock.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining brown sugar and butter, chopped pecans, and flour. Spread the mixture evenly over the top of the sweet potatoes.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours. Sprinkle on the marshmallows in the last hour.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 302Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 104mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 1gSugar: 28gProtein: 2g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.