These irresistible crispy buffalo chicken wontons are crispy on the outside, smooth and creamy on the inside, and have just the right amount of kick. Plus, they’re so easy to make!
Need a game day snack or just some good real food? No one will be able to resist these tasty buffalo chicken wontons!
Delightfully crunchy wonton wrappers with a smooth, creamy filling get the perfect amount of kick from the buffalo sauce.
This chicken wonton recipe is the super simple bite-sized appetizer that will have everyone reaching for thirds, seconds, and fourths.
Best of all, you can use pre-bought or leftover shredded and cooked chicken, and you can go from fridge to snack table in less than half an hour.
So when you need an easy appetizer, these buffalo wonton cups are the perfect solution!
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
STEP TWO: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, use an electric hand mixer to whip the softened cream cheese together with the buffalo sauce. Mix on a low-medium speed until the mixture is smooth and well-blended.
STEP THREE: Use the hand mixer to incorporate the chicken and spices into the cream cheese mixture. Mix until the chicken is evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
STEP FOUR: Line each space of the mini muffin tin with a wonton wrapper.
STEP FIVE: Place a spoonful of cream cheese and buffalo chicken mixture into each wrapper pressing down on the wonton wrapper. Do the same for the remaining wontons.
STEP SIX: Brush the tops of the chicken cups with oil, making sure to get the exposed edges of the wonton wrappers.
STEP SEVEN: Bake the buffalo chicken wontons for 12 minutes or until golden brown then let them cool slightly on a wire rack.
STEP EIGHT: Serve hot, top with extra buffalo sauce, if desired, then enjoy!
What to Serve with Buffalo Chicken Cups
- Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Onion Rings
- Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms
- Blue Cheese Dressing
- Cheesy White Bean Tomato Bake
- Mac and Cheese Bites in the Air Fryer
How Long to Cook Buffalo Wontons
You want to cook your buffalo chicken cups until the wonton wrappers are crispy and golden brown.
At 350 degrees F, this should take about 12 minutes. If the wontons aren’t getting golden, make sure you’re brushing them with enough oil before they bake.
Tips for the Best Buffalo Chicken Wontons
- Make sure the exposed parts of the wrappers are brushed with oil. Otherwise, the wonton appetizers won’t crisp up properly, so it’s important to make sure you don’t miss any spots!
- For the buffalo sauce, you can use your favorite brand or make your own homemade buffalo sauce! I even have a mild buffalo sauce option! Just make sure it’s buffalo sauce or Frank’s Red Hot and not hot sauce.
- I like to use shredded rotisserie chicken from Costco, but I’ve also used grilled chicken strips cut into small pieces and did not notice a difference in the flavor of the final product.
- Using smoked paprika adds a charred, warm flavor. However, you can also use regular paprika if you prefer or if it’s what you have in your kitchen.
- You can store leftover buffalo wontons in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- To reheat buffalo chicken wontons, microwave in 20-second intervals until warm in the middle or heat them in the air fryer for about 4 minutes at 390 degrees.
More Buffalo Chicken Recipes
- 5-Minute Buffalo Chicken Wrap
- Air Fryer Loaded Tater Tots
- Buffalo Chicken Taquitos
- Buffalo Chicken Cheese Steak
- Buffalo Chicken Dip Without Cream Cheese
- Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls in the Air Fryer
- Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
- Buffalo Chicken Thighs
Variations to Spicy Chicken Wontons
- Add some cheese. I personally love shredded cheddar cheese inside of the wonton cup appetizer, but you can use mozzarella cheese or even pepper jack cheese.
- Use a different kind of chicken. All types of thinly sliced chicken work. Think leftover rotisserie chicken and even canned chicken.
- Add some blue cheese crumbles on top. You can use blue cheese dressing or ranch dressing for a dipping sauce. Feel free to top them with sliced green onions too!
- You can use egg roll wrappers when in a pinch. Just cut them down to even squares in order for them to fill the muffin pan correctly.
- Switch out the cream cheese. You can make this buffalo chicken recipe lighter by swapping it with sour cream or Greek Yogurt, but I personally love the full-fat cream cheese as it helps balance the creaminess and spiciness.
More delicious recipes for game day
- Air Fryer Crab Rangoon
- Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
- Air Fryer Breaded Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Fried Pickles
- Bacon Cheese Fries
- BBQ Grape Jelly Meatballs
- Pigs in a Blanket in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Super Bowl Recipes
- 8 ounces block cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup buffalo sauce
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 cup shredded chicken
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 24 wonton wrappers
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, use an electric hand mixer to whip the cream cheese together with the buffalo sauce. Mix on a low-medium speed until the mixture is smooth and homogenous.
- Use the hand mixer to incorporate the chicken and spices into the cream cheese mixture. Mix until the chicken is evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
- Line a mini muffin tin with wonton wrappers and place a spoonful of cream cheese filling into each wrapper.
- Brush the tops of the cups with oil, being sure to get the exposed edges of the wonton wrappers. Bake the cups for 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 77Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 206mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 3g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.