This buffalo chicken cheese steak is a flavor sensation. If you have been looking for a way to take your sandwich game to the next level, here it is!
This recipe has everything you love about a classic cheese steak (minus the steak, of course) combined with everything you love about buffalo chicken. It is the best of both worlds.
You get tender chicken, sauteed veggies, two types of cheese, and beautiful, buttery buffalo sauce; all served on a warm toasty hoagie roll. This is the stuff dreams are made of!
Don’t worry about your picky eaters, either. Sometimes kids might not be ready for blue cheese or spicy sauces, and that’s okay.
One of my favorite things about sandwich night is how easy it is for everyone to customize. Simply let each family member build their own sub.
Once you try this buffalo chicken cheese steak, you are going to want to make it all the time. Try it for yourself, and you’ll soon see why!
Here’s what I’m going to teach you in this post:
- All the ingredients you need to make this buffalo chicken cheese steak.
- Step-by-step instructions for making the best buffalo chicken sub in town.
- Serving suggestions to go alongside your buffalo chicken hoagie.
All you need is a few simple ingredients and 30 minutes to make this easy and flavorful shaved chicken recipe. Get ready to be transported to hoagie heaven!
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Cheese Steak
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Over medium heat, heat two tablespoons of oil in a large skillet. Toss your peppers and onions into the pan and saute until softened and translucent, occasionally stirring, for 8-10 minutes. Transfer the cooked vegetables to a bowl, set aside, and return the skillet to the heat.
STEP TWO: Add the remaining oil to the skillet to heat before adding the chicken. Stirring occasionally, cook the chicken for 6-8 minutes, ensuring it is golden and fully cooked.
STEP THREE: Add the blue cheese and buffalo sauce to the chicken and stir until well coated. Layer the sauteed onions and peppers gently on top of the chicken mixture.
STEP FOUR: Remove the skillet from the stove and place provolone on top. Cover the entire pan with a lid for 1-2 minutes to melt the cheese.
STEP FIVE: Toast your hoagie rolls, then scoop out generous portions of your chicken and cheese mixture to nestle on top. If desired, place the whole sandwich under a low broiler. Add more buffalo sauce, blue cheese, or any topping of your choice. Enjoy!
How Thinly Do You Slice Chicken For a Cheesesteak?
I recommend using the thinnest chicken slices possible, but it’s definitely possible to be flexible here. Shaved or shredded chicken is ideal.
If you can’t make this a shaved chicken recipe, no worries! It’s perfectly okay to use pulled pieces or chopped chunks of chicken if that’s what you have on hand.
What is a Buffalo Chicken Hoagie Made Of?
In its simplest form, a chicken cheese steak is made from a combination of chicken, cheese, onions, and peppers. All ingredients are sauteed and served up on a toasted hoagie roll.
This shaved chicken recipe has all of the classic ingredients with an added kick. Blue cheese and buffalo sauce are included to create a seriously delicious buffalo chicken hoagie. You’re going to love it!
What Do I Serve With a Buffalo Chicken Sub?
This hearty buffalo chicken hoagie is quite satisfying all by itself and also goes wonderfully with lots of your favorite sides. I like to serve it up with carrots and celery sticks alongside ranch or blue cheese dressing. Extra blue cheese crumbles are always a great idea too.
If you are feeding a lot of people or simply want to have a larger meal with your buffalo chicken cheese steak, you have lots of options. This recipe goes great with a dinner salad or any of your favorite sandwich sides. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Broccoli Salad
- Air Fried French Fries
- Waffle Fries in the Air Fryer
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Air Fryer Eggplant Fries
- Air Fryer Onion Rings
What is Buffalo Sauce Made Of?
Buffalo sauce is super easy to make. All you need is butter, hot sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and a few spices. The process takes almost no time at all.
The time is now if you aren’t already making your own buffalo sauce. There is no better way to take your buffalo chicken sub to the next level.
We’ve got you covered! Check out my recipe for homemade buffalo sauce. You’ll never want to buy the premade stuff again.
I even have a milder version if you don’t like the spice!
Other Buffalo Recipes You’ll Love:
- Honey Buffalo Sauce
- Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Buffalo Chicken Wrap
- Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- Buffalo Chicken Thighs
- Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls
- Buffalo Chicken Dip Without Cream Cheese
Buffalo Chicken Cheese Steak
Buffalo Chicken Cheese Steak has everything you love about a classic cheese steak (minus the steak, of course) combined with everything you love about buffalo chicken. It is the best of both worlds.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 bell peppers (orange and green), sliced
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup Buffalo sauce
- ¼-½ cup blue cheese crumbles
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 4 hoagie rolls, toasted
- SERVE WITH: Ranch or blue cheese dressing, blue cheese crumbles, Buffalo sauce, carrot and celery sticks
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add the onion and peppers and saute for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until translucent and softened. Remove to a bowl and return the skillet to the heat
- Heat the remaining oil in the skillet. Add the chicken and cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden and cooked through.
- Add the Buffalo sauce and blue cheese, stirring until the chicken is well coated. Return the onions and peppers to the skillet, layering them on top of the chicken.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Lay the provolone on top of the contents of the skillet, cover with a lid, and allow it to melt for 1-2 minutes.
- Scoop the cheesy chicken and peppers into warm, toasted hoagie rolls. Place under a low broiler if desired. Top with more Buffalo sauce and/or blue cheese, and serve with your favorite dressing and sides, if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 718Total Fat: 44gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 162mgSodium: 2020mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 58g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.