This honey buffalo sauce is one of my favorite recipes to make. It’s super easy and exploding with exquisite flavor!
In my opinion, homemade sauces are far superior and always make me feel empowered in the kitchen. Superior results at a fraction of the cost? Yes, please!
This honey buffalo sauce offers sweet heat combined with buttery umami to create an irresistible wing sauce that your family will go nuts for.
Whether making hot wings for game night or looking for a delicious new everyday seasoning, this honey hot wing sauce is on point. My kids love drowning their pizza slices in it too!
Here’s what I’m going to teach you in this post:
- All the essential ingredients to make this super easy buffalo sauce with honey.
- Step by step instructions on how to make the best honey buffalo wing sauce ever.
- Ideas for what to serve with this sweet and spicy wing sauce.
You can easily create this saucy goodness with 5 minutes and a few simple ingredients. Get ready to take your sauce game to the next level.
How to Make Honey Buffalo Sauce
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: In a small pot, combine the Franks Red Hot sauce, Worcestershire, butter, honey, brown sugar, garlic powder, and cayenne.
STEP TWO: Bring the sauce to a simmer over medium-low heat. Remove the pan from heat once the honey and brown sugar are melted and dissolved.
STEP THREE: Allow buffalo sauce with honey to cool before transferring it to a mason jar. Upon cooling, your sauce will continue to thicken.
STEP FOUR: (Optional) If your plan is honey buffalo wings, simply place wings in a large bowl, drizzle with honey buffalo sauce, and toss with tongs to coat.
Is Honey Buffalo Sauce Spicy?
There is, indeed, a bit of spice to this honey hot wing sauce. However, the addition of butter, brown sugar, and honey definitely tones down the heat of the Franks Red Hot Sauce a bit.
Serve the sauce on the side to start if you have family members with sensitive palates. It is much easier to add more sauce than to try and remove it.
Tips to Make the Best Honey Buffalo Sauce
First, make sure that all the ingredients in your honey buffalo wing sauce are fully incorporated. Sauce that has separated will not stick to your wings and might have an unbalanced flavor.
Luckily, this is an easy problem to fix!
- Use a whisk to mix your ingredients.
- If adding butter to your sauce, use it straight from the fridge.
- You can try an emulsifier like mustard or more honey, but be aware this will affect the overall flavor.
Secondly, there are a few ways to adjust the thickness of your sauce:
- Time and patience is often the best method. This sauce thickens quite a bit as it cools.
- Cooking longer to reduce the sauce is another useful method. Be aware that reduced sauce will also thicken as it cools.
- If you really need a thickening boost, try a cornstarch slurry! Mix 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water, then whisk into the honey buffalo sauce.
Finally, there are a number of ways to tweak this honey hot wing sauce to perfectly fit your preferences.
- Make it sweeter with a bit more brown sugar or honey. If it’s too sweet, add more hot sauce or Worcestershire.
- Up the spice by adding more cayenne or hot sauce to your sweet buffalo sauce. If too spicy, add a bit more butter.
- Worcestershire sauce adds a deep savory umami flavor to your sauce. Using freshly chopped garlic instead of powder is another way to add more umami pungency.
- Always go slowly and carefully when trying to tip the flavor scales in any direction. Remember that while you can always add more of an ingredient, it is virtually impossible to subtract it.
How to Store the Leftover Sauce
Leftover buffalo sauce with honey can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one month.
If you have a lot of honey buffalo sauce left, you can store it in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 6 months.
Whichever option you choose, remember to give your wing sauce a little shake before using it again.
What to Serve With This Sweet Buffalo Sauce
Enjoy this sweet and spicy wing sauce with all your favorite buffalo inspired dishes.
- Buffalo Wings
- Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls
- Buffalo Chicken Tenders
- Buffalo Chicken Thighs
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Buffalo Cauliflower
Other Easy Sauce Recipes You’ll Love:
- ½ cup Franks Red Hot Sauce
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Combine the Franks Red Hot Sauce, honey, butter, brown sugar, worcestershire, garlic powder and cayenne in a small pot.
- Place on the stove over medium-low heat and bring the sauce to a simmer. Once the butter has melted and the sugar and honey have dissolved, remove from the heat.
- Let cool and place into a mason jar. The sauce will thicken as it cools down.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 96Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 386mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 0gSugar: 12gProtein: 0g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.