The sweet, verdant taste of squash wrapped up in a crunchy garlic panko crust… all in one bite! Plus, these air fryer zucchini chips are perfectly crispy without all of that harmful deep frying.
When I think of summer veggies, I think of zucchini — a summer squash!
Making zucchini chips in the air fryer is one quick, easy way to do that – plus, they’re beyond delicious! By making these in an air fryer, you use no oil.
The addicting crisp is thanks to a mix of panko breadcrumbs, garlic powder, and onion powder. Simple, yet effective! It’s all you need for a sharp, rich flavor to complement the mild grassiness of the squash.
Here’s what I’m going to teach you in this post:
- How to make a whole batch of crispy, crunchy, and delicious air fryer zucchini chips
- Some tips on how to prepare and reheat your air fry zucchini chips for the best texture and flavor possible
- A couple of delicious dips and sauces to serve along with this incredibly dippable, shareable appetizer
Air fryer zucchini chips are a fresh, crisp, and delish way to enjoy seasonal flavors! In less than 20 minutes, you’ll have a whole batch of crunchy chips with no oil, salt, or harmful additives.
I made this recipe using the 5.7 QT Instant Pot Air Fryer. Its square basket makes it the perfect size for our family of 4.
How to Make Air Fryer Zucchini Chips
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Preheat your air fryer to 380 degrees F.
STEP TWO: Rinse off the zucchini and pat dry before slicing. Cut the courgettes into ¼“ slices.
STEP THREE: Add the panko breadcrumbs, garlic powder, and onion powder to a bowl. Combine with a whisk.
STEP FOUR: In a second bowl, whisk one egg until it’s light and fluffy. In a third bowl, add the flour.
STEP FIVE: Dip and dredge each zucchini slice in the following order: flour, egg, and then breadcrumbs.
STEP SIX: Lay each breaded zucchini round into your air fryer in one single layer. Air fry for roughly 8 minutes at 380 degrees, flipping after the first 4 minutes. The air fried zucchini chips should be golden brown on each side.
STEP SEVEN: Serve the air fried zucchini chips immediately with a variety of dips and sauces, and enjoy!
Why Are My Zucchini Chips Soggy?
Soggy air fryer zucchini chips can be caused for a variety of reasons.
- There is too much egg wash compared to breadcrumbs on each zucchini slice
- The breadcrumbs are not evenly coated on the zucchini, causing parts to not be covered and not get crispy
- The zucchini slices are too thick — each slice should be consistently cut into no thicker than ¼-inch slices
- The air fryer was overcrowded — These zucchini air fryer chips should lay in a single layer in the air fryer basket
Variations to Air Fry Zucchini Chips
- Add grated parmesan cheese to the panko mixture to give the zucchini rounds a cheesy flavor in the breading
- Add a little cayenne pepper to the breadcrumbs to give it a little more kick
- Swap out the panko breadcrumbs for pork rinds and all-purpose flour for almond flour to make this recipe more keto-friendly and gluten-free
- Swap out the egg for butter or milk for a no egg recipe. You can also use vegan butter or vegan egg substitute to turn this air fryer recipe vegan
What Are The Best Dips and Sauces for Zucchini Crisps?
You’re only limited by your imagination and preferences with this one! Any dip that you like with fries would be equally tasty with air fryer zucchini chips. I suggest trying:
- A zesty mustard dipping sauce made with Dijon
- A creamy and zesty sriracha mayo, like the one I serve with my avocado fries
- Sweet and spicy honey sriracha for a bright kick
How Do You Reheat Zucchini Chips in the Air Fryer?
- Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees.
- Place the leftover zucchini bites in the air fryer and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until warmed and crisped back up.
How Long Do Homemade Zucchini Chips Last?
These air fried zucchini chips can be stored in an airtight container and kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
You can also freeze them to cook for a later time, up to 3 months.
Other Air Fryer Vegetable Recipes You’ll Love:
- Air Fryer Potato Chips
- Air Fryer Eggplant Fries
- Air Fryer Carrots
- Air Fryer Bell Peppers
- Air Fryer Blooming Onion
- Air Fryer French Fries
- Air Fryer Carrot Chips
And check out our list of Air Fryer Summer Grilling recipes for more summer ideas!
More Zucchini Recipes:
- 1 medium-sized zucchini
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons flour
- Cut zucchini into thin slices, approximately 1/4 inches.
- Mix panko breadcrumbs, garlic powder, and onion powder in a bowl.
- Whisk one egg into a separate bowl and put the flour in a third bowl.
- Dip zucchini into the flour, then the egg, then the breadcrumbs.
- Place the breaded zucchini in an air fryer in a single layer and cook at 380 degrees for 7-9 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Enjoy immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 102Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 119mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.