Air Fryer Butternut Squash is coated in honey and cinnamon for a sweet side dish option!
Roasted butternut squash is one of the most popular winter squashes — and for good reason. It’s nutty and sweet, and there are so many different ways to prepare and enjoy it.
One of my favorite ways to cook it is in the air fryer! I am going to teach you how to cook cubed butternut squash in the air fryer so you can enjoy this sweet and savory dish as well.
It cooks up quickly compared to the oven and is done when you see those crispy edges on the sides of the air fry squash.
How to Cook Butternut Squash in the Air Fryer
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F. Peel your butternut squash with a Y-peeler then cut the squash into 1-inch cubes.
STEP TWO: Place the squash cubes in a bowl and add extra-virgin olive oil, honey, ground cinnamon, and sea salt. Mix well, so that the butternut squash is well covered.
STEP THREE: Place your diced butternut squash in the air fryer and cook for 14-16 minutes. Shake or turn your butternut squash every 7 minutes or so to ensure even cooking. It’s done when the squash is tender when poked with a fork.
STEP FOUR: Place the air fryer butternut squash in a serving bowl and drizzle with honey. Enjoy!
Tips For Making the Best Butternut Squash in the Air Fryer
- Cube your butternut squash into consistently sized cubes. Smaller cubes will cut faster than larger ones, so it’s important to let them evenly cook.
- Don’t fill the air fryer more than halfway full. Better yet, try to stick to one single layer if you can.
- Once a fork gently glides into the butternut squash, it’s done!
- Drizzle your roasted air fryer butternut squash with extra honey. It gives it more flavor and the sweetness you will love!
- Buy pre-cut butternut squash from the store to make a super simple side dish
What to Serve with Air Fryer Butternut Squash
- Air Fryer Pork Chops
- Air Fryer Chicken Leg Quarters
- Air Fryer Short Ribs
- Air Fryer Flank Steak
- Air Fryer Turkey Legs
- Air Fryer Salmon
- Air Fryer Turkey Tenderloin
You can check out our other Air Fryer Dinner Ideas to try too!
Can Butternut Squash Be Cooked in the Air Fryer?
Of course! Smaller air fryers do best with these air fryer butternut squash cubes, but if you have an air fryer oven, you can also cook butternut squash halves in there as well!
What Flavors Go Well with Butternut Squash?
My recipe for air fried butternut squash calls for honey, cinnamon, and sea salt as a sort of marinade for the butternut squash, but there are several different flavor combinations out there!
- Swap the seasonings for nutmeg, cloves, rosemary, sage, thyme, onion powder, fresh parsley, bay leaf, garlic powder, or cardamom. Choose your favorites for a more savory butternut squash recipe!
- Brown sugar, honey, and maple syrup for another sweet butternut squash recipe
- Cayenne pepper to add some heat to the dish
- Bacon, chicken, and beef taste great with butternut squash.
- Add some tasty veggies, such as onions, leeks, or carrots.
How Long to Air Fry Butternut Squash
Air fry butternut squash at 400 degrees F cooking cubed butternut squash for 14-16 minutes and halves for about 30 minutes. Make sure to rotate the butternut squash every 7 minutes so that it cooks evenly!
More Air Fryer Side Dishes
Can I Use Frozen Butternut Squash in the Air Fryer?
Absolutely! You can use frozen cubed squash. Preheat your air fryer to 380 degrees F and cook for 10-18 minutes.
You’ll still need to shake the air fryer basket every 5 minutes or so to ensure even cooking.
How to Reheat Butternut Squash in the Air Fryer
Store leftover butternut squash in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days using the below directions for reheating.
- Preheat your air fryer to 330 degrees.
- Place the leftover cooked squash inside and reheat for about 5 minutes, or until the squash is hot. Reheating at a lower temperature allows the food to cook evenly.
- Feel free to drizzle a bit more honey on top before you serve.
More Squash Recipes You’ll Love:
- Air Fryer Yellow Squash
- Maple Roasted Acorn Squash Slices
- Air Fryer Squash and Zucchini
- Sauteed Butternut Squash
- Roasted Acorn Squash With Brown Sugar and Cinnamon
- Air Fryer Spaghetti Squash
- Air Fryer Acorn Squash
- Air Fryer Zucchini Chips
- Stuffed Acorn Squash with Macaroni and Cheese
Air Fryer Weight Watcher Points per serving: 5
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed, and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon honey (for drizzling on top)
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees.
- Place cubed butternut squash pieces, oil, honey, ground cinnamon, and sea salt into a bowl and mix to combine.
- Add butternut squash mixture to air fryer (do not fill more than halfway) and cook for 14-16 minutes until tender, shaking the basket every 5 minutes or so.*
- Place in serving dish and drizzle additional honey on top.
- Enjoy immediately.
* The Air Fryer Butternut Squash is done when you can easily pierce a fork through it
Reheating directions: Recipe can be reheated at 330 degrees for 3-5 minutes until hot. More honey may be needed after it's reheated.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 118Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 135mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 2gSugar: 11gProtein: 1g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.