Try these Korean short ribs in the air fryer for a dish that’s fall-off-the-bone tender with a burst of rich, delicious flavor!
I used to think you could only get amazing short ribs at a fancy restaurant. But once I tried making short ribs in the air fryer, I realized this might be my absolute favorite version!
The trick is to marinate the ribs for at least a few hours, preferably overnight, in a Korean BBQ-inspired mix of soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, green onion, and garlic. They turn out so flavorful and fall-off-the-bone tender! It’s one of my family’s new favorite dishes.
Here’s what I’m going to teach you in this post:
- How to cook beef short ribs in the air fryer
- The difference between beef ribs and beef short ribs
- How to cut short ribs
- The best way to freeze this recipe for easy meal prep
- How to reheat short ribs in the air fryer
My favorite part about this dish is how easy it is to prep. The marinade takes minutes to throw together, and once you’re ready, the short ribs cook in the air fryer in less than 20 minutes. It’s almost unbelievable how you can have a restaurant-quality dish on your table with so little hands-on time!
How to Make Air Fryer Short Ribs
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: In a large plastic zipper bag, combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, water, sesame oil, rice vinegar, green onions, and garlic.
STEP TWO: Add the ribs and massage the marinade around them. Seal the bag, and remove as much air as possible. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
STEP THREE: Preheat the air fryer at 400 degrees F for 5 minutes. Remove the ribs from the bag and discard the marinade.
STEP FOUR: Spray the basket with cooking oil and place the ribs in a single layer.
STEP FIVE: Cook the ribs for 8 minutes. Flip, then cook for another 5-8 minutes to your desired level of doneness.
What is the Difference Between Beef Ribs and Beef Short Ribs?
Beef ribs, or back ribs, come from the back of the animal next to the spine. These are what’s left after the butcher removes the Prime Rib cut from the bones. Short ribs, on the other hand, come from the short plate, or the lower portion of the rib cage.
What Temperature Should Short Ribs Be Cooked To?
Your ribs are done cooking once the internal temperature reaches 205 degrees F. I recommend using an Instant Read thermometer for the most accurate cook time!
Is The Air Fryer Good For Cooking Short Ribs?
Absolutely! It’s one of my favorite ways to cook this cut of meat for a few reasons.
First of all, when cooked improperly, short ribs turn out tough. This usually means they were cooked too quickly at too high of a temperature. Thanks to the air fryer’s convection style of cooking, you can quickly break down the meat for tender, juicy ribs that never turn out tough.
Second, it’s so much faster! Instead of roasting low and slow in the oven, the air fryer will have your Korean short ribs ready to enjoy in about 15 minutes.
What to Serve with Air Fryer Beef Short Ribs
- Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potato
- Air Fryer Honey Cinnamon Butternut Squash
- Air Fryer Carrots
- Maple Roasted Acorn Squash Slices
- Ninja Foodi Baked Potato
- Air Fryer Baby Potatoes
How Many Short Ribs Per Person?
It’s usually safe to assume that every adult will eat two short ribs. You want to plan to have around a half-pound of meat per person.
How to Cook Frozen Beef Ribs in the Air Fryer
- In a large plastic zipper bag, combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, water, sesame oil, rice vinegar, green onions, and garlic.
- Add the ribs and massage the marinade around them. Seal the bag, and remove as much of the air as possible. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Remove and discard the marinade, then freeze the ribs in the plastic zipper bag.
- When you’re ready to cook, spray the inside of the air fryer basket with non-stick spray. Place the ribs in a single layer and air fry for 18-20 minutes, flipping once during cooking.
How to Reheat Boneless Short Ribs in the Air Fryer
- Spray the inside of the air fryer basket, then place the ribs inside in a single layer.
- Air fry at 400 degrees F for 6 minutes, until warmed through.
Read more on reheating ribs in the air fryer here.
Other Air Fryer Beef Recipes You’ll Love:
- Air Fryer Flank Steak
- Air Fryer London Broil
- Air Fryer Roast Beef
- Air Fryer Baby Back Ribs
- Air Fryer Ribeye Steak
- Air Fryer Hamburgers
Love air frying? Join our newsletter! You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, or join our free Facebook Air Frying Community.
Short Ribs in the Air Fryer
For a quick dinner, try these marinated short ribs in the air fryer! Korean-inspired flavors and tender beef make this dish irresistible.
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ½ pounds boneless beef short ribs
- In a large plastic zipper bag, combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, water, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, green onions, and garlic. Add the ribs and massage the marinade around them. Remove the air from the bag, seal it, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat the air fryer at 400 degrees F. Remove the ribs from the bag and discard the leftover marinade.
- Place the short in the air fryer in a single layer and air fry for 8 minutes. Flip, then cook for another 5-8 minutes, to your desired doneness (13 to 16 minutes total).
How to Cook Frozen Short Ribs in the Air Fryer:
- Prepare the ribs through step 1, marinating for at least 2 hours, or overnight. Remove and discard the marinade, then freeze the ribs in the plastic zipper bag.
- When ready to cook, preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees. Place the ribs in a single layer and air fry for 18-20 minutes, flipping once halfway through cooking.
How to Reheat Short Ribs in the Air Fryer:
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees.
- Place the leftover short ribs in the air fryer and cook for 6 minutes, until warmed through.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 661Total Fat: 47gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 27gCholesterol: 189mgSodium: 1303mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 0gSugar: 8gProtein: 50g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.
4 thoughts on “Short Ribs in the Air Fryer”
What about boneless short ribs? Can I use them? How long to cook?
Hi Beth, this recipe was made with boneless short ribs so you can use the directions as shown!
Have you tried bone in?
Yes! Bone in short ribs cook a little faster in the air fryer since there is less meat on the actual short rib. I find they take about 10-15 minutes to cook unless they’re on the larger side.