Did you know you can cook frozen steak in the air fryer? The convection-style cooking keeps the steak tender and juicy without the hassle of waiting for it to thaw!
Did you just realize that you forgot to get your steak out of the freezer to thaw before dinner? No problem! Just use this easy recipe for cooking frozen steak in the air fryer and you’ll be serving tender, juicy ribeye in about 30 minutes.
There’s no thawing required, and you can even season the meat while it’s still frozen. Thanks to the magic of the air fryer, you’ll get mouth-watering steak every time. And it’s so easy!
Here’s what I’m going to teach you in this post:
- My super-easy method for cooking frozen steak in the air fryer
- The best cut of steak to use in this recipe (and tips for freezing a fresh steak)
- How long to cook frozen ribeye in the air fryer
- Tips and tricks for the best results with this recipe
- What to serve with air fryer frozen steak
Whether you’re having an impromptu celebration or just craving some hearty red meat, this recipe is a lifesaver. You can go from freezer to table in about half an hour. Best of all, the ribeye tastes so amazing, no one will ever guess it was cooked from frozen!
How to Make Frozen Steak in the Air Fryer
STEP ONE: Brush or spray the frozen steak with olive oil on both sides, then sprinkle with salt, pepper, rosemary, and garlic powder.
STEP TWO: Spritz the air fryer basket with cooking oil using an EVO Oil Mister, then place the steak inside.
STEP THREE: Air fry at 400 degrees F for 18-30 minutes, flipping halfway through. The cooking time will depend on the thickness of the steak and your preferred level of doneness.
STEP FOUR: Allow the steak to rest in the warm air fryer for 3-5 minutes, then use a thermometer to confirm that the internal temperature has reached your desired temperature.
STEP FIVE: Serve with a pat of butter.
What Kind of Frozen Steak Should You Use in the Air Fryer?
For this recipe, I used a 1-pound ribeye steak that was about 1-inch thick. Either boneless or bone-in works great.
But this recipe would be perfect for other cuts of steak as well! Filet mignon, New York strip, or T-bone steaks all freeze well and will cook beautifully in the air fryer. Just be sure to watch the cooking time based on how thick they are.
If you buy your steak fresh and want to freeze it, wrap it tightly and then store it in a freezer-safe bag to preserve the quality. You could also vacuum-seal the meat for the best results. While frozen steak stays safe indefinitely, it will have the best taste and texture if you eat it within 6 months.
How Long to Cook Frozen Ribeye Steak in the Air Fryer
This is going to depend on how you like your steak cooked. Here are some quick rules of thumb for cooking frozen ribeye in the air fryer to your desired level of doneness:
- Rare (125-130 degrees F): 8-10 minutes per side
- Medium (140-150 degrees F): 11-12 minutes per side
- Well (160 degrees F or higher): 12-15 minutes per side
I always recommend using an Instant Read Thermometer for the most precise cooking. Just make sure to let the steak rest in the air fryer for 3-5 minutes before checking as the internal temperature may continue rising during that time.
Tips for Making the Best Air Fryer Frozen Steak
- Only take the steak out of the freezer when you’re ready to season and cook, not before. If you get the steak out early and it starts to thaw, it could alter your cooking times.
- Make sure to flip the steak halfway through the cooking time for the most even results.
- Let the steak rest in the air fryer for at least 5 minutes. This will allow the meat fibers to relax and reabsorb their juices while the residual heat of the air fryer will prevent your steak from getting cold before you serve.
What to Serve with Air Fryer Frozen Steak
- 4-Ingredient Potato Soup
- Corn Casserole without Sour Cream
- Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Air Fryer Asparagus
- Instant Pot Glazed Carrots Recipe
- Roasted Carrots and Asparagus
Will the Air Fryer Dry Out Frozen Steak?
Nope! That’s the beauty of this recipe. While trying to roast or grill a steak from frozen can yield mixed results, the air fryer is a nearly fool-proof way to get juicy, tender ribeye straight out of the freezer.
It’s so easy and turns out so well, you may start using this method on a weekly basis!
How to Reheat Steak in the Air Fryer
- Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees.
- Carefully place the leftover steak in the air fryer and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until warmed thoroughly.
See more information on reheating steak in the air fryer here.
Other Steak Recipes to Try
- Leftover Steak Fajitas
- Air Fryer Cube Steak
- Instant Pot Steak
- Air Fryer Ribeye Steak
- 45 Juicy Steak Dinner Ideas
- 25 Ways to Use Leftover Steak
Other Air Fryer Steak Recipes You’ll Love
- Air Fryer Sirloin Steak
- Air Fryer Flank Steak
- Air Fryer Steak Bites
- Air Fryer Tri Tip
- Air Fryer Skirt Steak (Carne Asada)
- Air Fryer Chicken Fried Steak
Love air frying? Join our newsletter! You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, or join our free Facebook Air Frying Community.
Air Fryer Frozen Steak
Short on time? If you have 30 minutes and a few basic ingredients, you can make frozen steak in the air fryer that tastes just as good as cooking from fresh!
- 1 pound ribeye steak (bone-in or boneless), 1-inch thick
- ½ tablespoon olive oil (or spray)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- Butter, for serving
1. Brush (or spray) the frozen steak with olive oil on both sides, then sprinkle the steak with salt, pepper, rosemary, and garlic powder.
2. place the steak inside. Air fry at 400 degrees F for 18-30 minutes (depending on thickness), flipping once halfway until it is done to your liking.*
3. Allow the steak to rest in the warm air fryer for 3-5 minutes, then use a thermometer to check the internal temperature to check that it is at your desired temp, then serve it with a pat of butter.
*Rare (125-130F) - 8-10 minutes per side
Medium (140-150F) - 11-12 minutes per side
Well (160F+) - 12-15 minutes per side
How to Reheat Steak in the Air Fryer:
1. Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees.
2. Cook steak in the air fryer for 3 to 5 minutes until heated thoroughly, let sit fot 5 minutes, then enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 703Total Fat: 52gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 27gCholesterol: 192mgSodium: 493mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 57g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.
7 thoughts on “Frozen Steak in The Air Fryer”
I have the ninja foodi xl pro air oven. Will the temp and time be the same when air frying?
Hi Wilma, yes, the temperature will remain the same, but it may take a few more minutes to cook the steak than the times mentioned.
Mine was Med Well in 6min at 400°
Yes, the cooking time can depend on the thickness of the steak.
Best steak ever! So easy – and so juicy! I’m hooked!
Can you cook 2 at a time and can you put a potato in with the steak? Will it increase the cooking time with the potato or 2nd steak?
Making sure that everything is laying flat in the tray is the key to adding more than what the recipe calls for. Please also keep in mind that adding the 2nd steak and a potato will change the cooking time as well.