This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclaimer here.
A juicy ribeye steak in the air fryer made with simple ingredients, but with maximum flavor.
Did you know you can make steak in the air fryer? It’s tender, juicy, and cooked perfectly.
This recipe is for a delicious ribeye steak. Since this cut of steak already has a lot of flavor, not much more seasoning is needed to get the best flavor.
In this post, I will show you how to cook air fryer ribeye steak, how to properly season and cook ribeye steak, and how to make frozen steak in the air fryer.
These directions are for a steak with a 1-inch thickness. If your steak is thinner, it will need less cooking time. If your steak is thicker, it will need a little more cooking time.
I made this recipe using the 5.8 QT Cosori Air Fryer. Its square basket makes it the perfect size for our family of 4.
How to Make Air Fryer Ribeye Steak
STEP ONE: Remove your ribeye steak from the fridge and season it with the Montreal Steak Seasoning.
Let it sit for 20-30 minutes to allow the steak to come to room temperature (if you’re using frozen steak, see how to make air fryer frozen steak below).
STEP TWO: Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees.
STEP THREE: Cook the steak for 10-12 minutes, flipping the steak halfway through until cooked to 130 -135 degrees at its thickest point.
I love using my Kizen Instant Read Thermometer when I make steaks in the air fryer. It has a quick-read time of just 3 seconds so I can check on my steaks while keeping the heat inside my air fryer!
STEP FOUR: Remove the ribeye steak from the air fryer and allow it to rest for at least 5 minutes, cut, and enjoy!
*These cooking directions are for a medium-rare steak. Medium, medium-well, and well-done steaks will need a longer cooking time.
Looking for ways to use up steak leftovers? Try out these 25 leftover steak recipes! There’s everything from fajitas to soup, sandwiches, and so much more!
Other Air Fryer Recipes You’ll Love:
- Air Fryer Keto Chicken Breasts
- Air Fryer Tuna Steaks
- 6 Mistakes People Keep Making with Their Air Fryers
- Pork Steak in the Air Fryer
Tips for Making Air Fryer Ribeye Steak Tender and Juicy
- Salt/season your steak at least 20 minutes before cooking. This allows for the moisture to come out of the steak, be absorbed by the salt, then reabsorbed by the steak to bring out its maximum flavor.
Salting steaks also helps break down lean muscle proteins in the steak, which makes it more tender and juicy!
You can read more about how salting steak works here.
- Ribeye steak is best when cooked until rare to medium. Anything above medium can cause the steak to become tough and dry.
- Pull your ribeye steak out of the air fryer as soon as it hits the internal temperature you need. It can take just a minute or two to cook steak from rare to medium-rare, so keep an eye on your steaks for maximum juiciness.
Using an Instant-Read Thermometer that can pull the temperature of your steak quickly will help you achieve a more tender steak. I love using my Kizen Instant-Read Thermometer.
- Let your steak rest after cooking! If you cut a steak that’s just taken out of the air fryer (or another cooking device), it may look super juicy, but it’s really losing all of the juices inside the steak.
Letting the ribeye steak rest allows time for the juices to fully absorb and redistribute into the steak making it more tender when eaten.
I like to finish cooking the steak then get everything else prepared and at the table before cutting the steak to give it ample time to rest.
What is the Best Way to Season a Ribeye Steak?
Ribeye steak is already full of flavor without any seasoning. Simple seasonings such as the Montreal Steak Seasoning is very simple to enhance the flavor of the steak.
You can also choose to flavor the steak with just salt and pepper if preferred.
Should I Marinate my Ribeye Steak?
No, marinating a ribeye steak is not necessary and can sometimes even pull the flavors from the steak out of the steak.
Since ribeye is already flavorful, just season it with a simple dry rub seasoning, like mentioned above.
Do I Need to Use Oil When Cooking Steak in an Air Fryer?
Most meats do not need oil when cooking in an air fryer. You can typically use a dry rub without any added oil and still get tender and juicy results.
This guide to using oil in an air fryer is a great resource when learning when you should or shouldn’t use oil in your air fryer.
How to Cook Frozen Steak in the Air Fryer
We’ve all done it. You’re about to make dinner and you realize your steak is still sitting in the freezer.
But it’s okay. You can still make frozen steak in the air fryer without defrosting it!
Just follow these simple directions to make air fryer frozen steak.
- Place the steak in a cold air fryer and set it to 400 degrees.
- Cook the steak for 5 minutes then quickly season steak with Montreal Steak Seasoning on both sides.
- Cook the frozen steak in the air fryer for an additional 15-19 minutes (20-24 minutes total), flipping halfway through. The steak is done once it hits 130-135 degrees at its thickest point (for medium-rare*).
- Remove the steak from the air fryer, let sit for at least 5 minutes prior to slicing, then enjoy!
*Air fry the ribeye steak for 25-29 min to get a medium well done steak.
How to Reheat Steak in the Air Fryer
It’s a lesser-known use, but reheating steak in the air fryer gives amazing results!
- Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees.
- Carefully place the leftover steak in the air fryer and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until warmed thoroughly.
Air Fryer Recipes You’ll Love:
- Air Fryer Chicken Fried Steak
- Air Fryer Hard-Boiled Eggs
- Air Fryer Ham Steaks
- Frozen Air Fryer Pork Tenderloin
- Air Fryer Cod
- 8 ounce ribeye steak, about 1-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning
- Remove the ribeye steak from the fridge and season with the Montreal Steak seasoning. Let steak rest for about 20 minutes to come to room temperature (to get a more tender juicy steak).
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees.
- Place the ribeye steak in the air fryer and cook for 10-12 minutes, until it reaches 130-135 degrees for medium rare. Cook for an additional 5 minutes for medium-well.
- Remove the steak from the air fryer and let rest at least 5 minutes before cutting to keep the juices inside the steak then enjoy!
How to Cook Frozen Steak in the Air Fryer:
1. Place frozen steak in a cold air fryer and set it to 400 degrees.
2. Cook the steak for 5 minutes, then quickly season it with the Montreal Steak Seasoning on both sides then cook for an additional 15 to 19 minutes (20 to 24 minutes total) until it hits 130-135 degrees at its thickest point.
3. Remove the steak from the air fryer and let rest for at least 5 minutes prior to cooking then enjoy!
How to Reheat Steak in the Air Fryer:
1. Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees.
2. Cook steak in the air fryer for 3 to 5 minutes until heated thoroughly, let sit fot 5 minutes, then enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 317Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 88mgSodium: 789mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 29g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.