These air fryer potato chips are going to change the way you snack. Salty, golden brown chips will satisfy your strongest chip cravings without too much oil or cook time!
Air fryer potato chips are easy to make and bring the whole family to the kitchen with a smile. Who doesn’t love a homemade snack that is a little healthier for you while giving you all the crunchy, salty joy from a bowl full of potato chips?
The catch with these air fried chips is that you’re going to want them daily! They are so delicious, you’ll never think that you are giving something up. Instead you’ll wonder how you survived on the store-bought variety of potato chips for so long!
How to Make Potato Chips in the Air Fryer
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Using a mandoline slicer or knife, thinly slice peeled or unpeeled potatoes.
STEP TWO: Place the sliced potatoes in cold water and let them soak for at least 30 minutes. Drain potatoes, then rinse the slices 2 or 3 times or until the water runs clear.
STEP THREE: Place the slices on a paper towel and let them dry for at least 20 minutes. Make sure the homemade chips are completely dry.
STEP FOUR: Spritz the air fryer potato chips with oil and sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
STEP FIVE: Place the potato slices in the air fryer basket in a single layer and cook on 300F for 16 minutes. Shake the basket halfway through to ensure even cooking.
STEP SIX: After 16 minutes, shake the chips again, then increase the temperature to 400F and cook for 5 more minutes.
STEP SEVEN: Remove the air fryer potato chips and salt to taste.
What to Serve With Air Fryer Potato Chips
- Frozen Hamburgers in the Air Fryer
- Easy Buffalo Chicken Wrap
- Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Nuggets
- Air Fryer Brats
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings with Buffalo Sauce
- Air Fryer Hot Dogs
Why Do You Soak Chips Before Air Frying?
Potatoes are filled with starch, which gives them that creamy texture that’s perfect for something like mashed potatoes.
But with potato chips, you want your potatoes to be crispy, not creamy. Soaking the potato slices draws out the starch and allows them to get super crispy.
Variations to Homemade Potato Chips in the Air Fryer
- Use a different potato. The most common variety for homemade potato chips is russet, but red potatoes or even sweet potatoes would be tasty!
- Changing the seasoning on air fry chips will give you a totally new snack! Salt and vinegar or freshly minced garlic with Parmesan and fresh parsley are recipe variations we love. Sometimes we keep it easy and just use garlic salt instead of Kosher salt for easy garlic potato chips.
- Add a dip! Serve your air fryer potato chips with your favorite party dips or even plain sour cream for something cool and creamy.
More Air Fryer Chip Recipes
- Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
- Air Fryer Apple Chips
- Air Fryer Kale Chips
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips
- Air Fryer Zucchini Chips
- Air Fryer Carrot Chips
Tips for the Best Air Fryer Potato Chips
- A mandoline slicer is really helpful for getting potatoes that are sliced evenly.
- Make sure the chips are as dry as possible before spritzing them with oil.
- Use an oil spritzer, like my favorite EVO Oil Sprayer, to spray the potato chips rather than brushing the oil on.
How Long to Cook Chips in the Air Fryer
It takes about 20-22 minutes to cook homemade potato chips in the air fryer.
Cook time will vary a bit based on your air fryer and how thinly you slice your potatoes. Make sure you lightly spray your air fryer chips with cooking oil to get them good and crispy when air frying. Then, air fry chips until they are golden brown.
Store any leftover potato chips in an airtight container. They are definitely best served hot out of the air fryer, but you can also pop them back in the air fryer for a few minutes to get them hot and crispy again.
Why are My Air Fryer Chips Not Crispy?
Soggy air fryer chips are no fun. Usually if you don’t get crispy potato chips in the air fryer, it is because you skipped the step where you soak the potatoes.
This step is KEY to getting crunchy potato chips in the air fryer. You may also need to work in smaller batches to ensure the hot air is properly circulating around the food.
More Air Fryer Potato Recipes with Potatoes
- Air Fryer Baby Potatoes
- Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- Air Fryer Fingerling Potatoes
- Air Fryer Hasselback Potatoes
- Smashed Potatoes in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges
- Sliced Potatoes in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Diced Potatoes
- 2 large potatoes (Russet or Yukon Gold)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
- Oil for spritzing
- Using a mandoline slicer, thinly slice peeled or unpeeled potatoes.
- Place potatoes slices in cold water to soak for 30 minutes. Rinse 2-3 times after.
- Place slices on paper towels and let dry for 20 minutes. – make sure they are completely dry to get the crispiest chip.
- Spray slices with oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Put potato chips in the air fryer basket and cook on 300 for 16 minutes, shake basket halfway through cooking.
- Shake and then cook on 400 for 5 minutes.
- Remove the potato chips from the air fryer, salt to taste, then enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 172Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 808mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.