This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclaimer here.
Air Fryer potato chips are super crispy, so easy to make, and much better for you than regular potato chips! Come see how simple it is to indulge your cravings the healthy way.
If you know me, you know how much I love my Air Fryer. It’s the perfect way to get crispy, crunchy, satisfying food without all the unwanted oil you get from deep frying. And these Air Fryer Potato Chips are a perfect example!
You’ll be amazed at how simple it is to make perfect potato chips right at home. Just slice, soak, dry, and fry! It’s seriously that easy. Plus, I think the result is so much better than the chips you buy at the store.
Here’s what I’m going to teach you in this post:
- How to make potato chips in the air fryer
- Why it’s important to soak your potato slices
- Tips for getting the crispiest Air Fryer potato chips
- Ideas for seasoning your chips
- Why Air Fryer Potato Chips are healthier than store-bought or restaurant chips
I should warn you: once you make these homemade potato chips, your family is going to be begging you to make them all the time!
Thankfully, they’re super easy to whip up… so maybe that’s not such a bad thing after all.
How to Make Air Fryer Potato Chips
STEP ONE: Using a mandolin slicer or knife, thinly slice peeled or unpeeled potatoes.
STEP TWO: Place the potato slices in cold water and let them soak for at least 30 minutes. After, rinse the slices 2 or 3 times.
STEP THREE: Place the slices on paper towels and let them dry for at least 20 minutes. You want to make sure they’re completely dry so you get the crispiest chip.
STEP FOUR: Spray the slices with oil, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
STEP FIVE: Place the slices in the air fryer basket and cook on 300F for 16 minutes. Shake the basket halfway through to ensure even cooking.
STEP SIX: After 16 minutes, shake the chips, then increase the temperature to 400F and cook for 5 more minutes.
STEP SEVEN: Remove the chips and salt to taste.
Do I Really Need to Soak the Potato Slices?
Yes! You definitely don’t want to skip this step.
Potatoes are filled with starch, which gives them that creamy texture that’s perfect for something like mashed potatoes.
But with potato chips, you want your potatoes to be crispy, not creamy. Soaking the potato slices draws out the starch and allows them to get super crispy.
Tips For Getting Crispy Homemade Potato Chips in the Air Fryer
- Use a mandolin slicer to get very thin, even slices. Cutting slices by hand can work, but they will inevitably be thicker, which makes it harder to get them super crispy.
- Soak the homemade chips for at least half an hour to draw the starch out. The longer you can soak them, the better.
- Make sure the chips are as dry as possible before spritzing them with oil.
- Use an oil spritzer, like my favorite EVO Oil Sprayer, to spray the potato chips rather than brushing the oil on. This will evenly coat the potato chips without making them greasy.
- Keep a close eye on the chips when you increase the temperature to make sure they don’t burn.
Ideas for Seasonings to Add to the Potato Chips
Want to add a little flavor to your chips? Go ahead and have some fun! Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- BBQ seasoning
- Cajun seasoning
- Powdered ranch
- Taco seasoning
- Steak seasoning
What To Serve With Homemade Potato Chips
Chips are the perfect side for adding a little crunch to so many dishes. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Frozen Hamburgers in the Air Fryer
- Easy Buffalo Chicken Wrap
- Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Nuggets
- Air Fryer Brats
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings with Buffalo Sauce
Are Air Fryer Potato Chips Healthier than Normal Potato Chips?
Yes, they are! Normal chips are deep-fried in oil, meaning they retain much more oil than Air Fried potato chips. Even oven-baked potato chips typically contain some sort of preservative in them as well.
That’s why making potato chips in the Air Fryer is a great option for indulging your snacky cravings the healthy way.
Other Air Fryer Recipes You’ll Love:
- 2 large potatoes (Russet or Yukon Gold)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
- Oil for misting
- Using a mandoline slicer, thinly slice peeled or unpeeled potatoes.
- Place potatoes slices in cold water to soak for 30 minutes. Rinse 2-3 times after.
- Place slices on paper towels and let dry for 20 minutes. – make sure they are completely dry to get the crispiest chip.
- Spray slices with oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Put potato chips in the air fryer basket and cook on 300 for 16 minutes, shake basket halfway through cooking.
- Shake and then cook on 400 for 5 minutes.
- Remove the potato chips from the air fryer, salt to taste, then enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 172Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 808mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.