Would you believe you can make air fryer Hasselback potatoes in less than 35 minutes? From dinners to holiday feasts, this recipe is perfect for any occasion!
Want to add a little flair to your table without a ton of effort? Air fryer Hasselback potatoes can be ready in less than 35 minutes and are always a crowd favorite!
The air fryer is my secret weapon for cooking potatoes in a fraction of the time it takes to roast them in the oven.
And when it comes to making them Hasselback style, the way the hot air circulates is also perfect for getting the slices irresistibly crispy!
Here’s what I’m going to teach you in this post:
- The easiest way to make Hasselback potatoes in the air fryer
- Variations for this recipe if you want to switch up your flavors
- What to serve with cheesy Hasselback potatoes
- How to reheat leftover Hasselback potatoes in the air fryer
From family dinners to holiday feasts, this recipe is my go-to for any occasion. It’s easy to prep, it looks great on the plate, and it tastes amazing! Just don’t be surprised if your family starts asking you to make potatoes this way all the time.
How to Make Air Fryer Hasselback Potatoes
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Wash the potatoes, then slice the bottoms to make a flat edge that will prevent them from rolling in the air fryer.
STEP TWO: Place each potato between two chopsticks or the handles of serving spoons to prevent cutting all the way through. With a sharp knife, cut slices in each potato ¼ inch apart, then carefully pull the slices slightly apart.
You can also use this handy little hasselback potato slicing rack that makes cutting the potatoes so much easier!
STEP THREE: Melt the butter either on the stove or in the microwave. Once melted, stir in the ranch mix.
STEP FOUR: Brush the melted butter and ranch mixture over the potatoes.
STEP FIVE: Cut each slice of cheese into 3 pieces, then cut those in half.
STEP SIX: Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F.
STEP SEVEN: Place the potatoes in the basket, flat side down. Cook for 20 minutes.
STEP EIGHT: Transfer the potatoes to a flat surface and add the slices of cheese in between the slits.
STEP NINE: Place the potatoes back into the air fryer for 2 minutes until the cheese is melted.
How Long Does it Take to Cook Hasselback Potatoes in the Air Fryer?
Thanks to the magic of the air fryer, this recipe cooks up much faster than the traditional method of roasting in the oven. Instead of Hasselback potatoes taking over an hour, you can be ready to serve in under 35 minutes!
Once you’ve sliced the potatoes, they’ll cook in the air fryer in just 20 minutes.
After that, you’ll add the cheese and stick them back in for about 2 minutes to melt the slices, then you’re ready to serve. How easy is that?
Tips for Making the Best Air Fryer Hasselback Potatoes
- Using chopsticks or serving spoons on either side of the potato will prevent you from cutting all the way through as you’re slicing. That way, the butter and ranch mixture will get trapped in the bottom of the slices instead of leaking out the bottom of the potato. This is the key to making the most delicious Hasselback potatoes!
- Always transfer the potatoes to a flat surface outside the air fryer to add the cheese. If you try to do it with the potatoes in the air fryer, you can easily burn yourself.
- You don’t need to cook the potatoes once you add the cheese. By simply placing them in the air fryer basket and shutting it, the residual heat will be enough to melt the cheese.
Variations for Hasselback Potatoes
Want to have some fun with this simple but delicious recipe? Here are a few ways to switch it up!
Cheddar is the classic cheese to use for Hasselback potatoes. But you could also use parmesan, gruyere, or any other variety with a strong taste. I wouldn’t recommend using anything too mild or it might get lost in the other flavors.
I love using ranch mix to season my Hasselbacks. But if you don’t have any on hand or prefer to use your own spices, feel free to use garlic powder, Italian seasoning, or anything else you like.
What to Serve with Air Fryer Cheesy Hasselback Potatoes
- Air Fryer Meatloaf
- Frozen Ham in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff
- Instant Pot Steak
- Spicy Chicken Chipotle Pasta
How to Reheat Hasselback Potatoes in the Air Fryer
- Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F.
- Place leftover Hasselback potatoes in the air fryer basket.
- Cook for 5 minutes until heated all the way through.
Other Air Fryer Potato Recipes You’ll Love:
- Air Fryer Baby Potatoes
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges
- Air Fryer Breakfast Potatoes
- Air Fryer Sliced Potatoes
- Smashed Potatoes in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Fingerling Potatoes
Love air frying? Join our newsletter! You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, or join our free Facebook Air Frying Community.
Air Fryer Hasselback Potatoes
These air fryer Hasselback potatoes with cheese are a delicious show-stopper of a side that cooks in half the time it takes to make this dish in the oven!
- 2 russet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon of ranch dressing mix
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 slices of cheddar cheese
- Wash your potato and slice the bottom of the potato to make it flat, so it doesn’t roll in the air fryer.
- Place the potato between two chopsticks, or serving spoons (between the handles). These will help you not cut all the way through. Take a sharp knife and cut it into ¼ inch slices. Carefully pull the slices slightly apart.
- Melt the butter and mix in the ranch mix. Brush the melted butter and ranch over the potatoes.
- Cut each slice of cheese into 3 slices and then cut those in half.
- Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees.
- Spray your basket and place your potatoes in the basket, flat side down. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes and add your slices of cheese in between the slits. Place them back into the air fryer for 2 minutes till the cheese is melted.
How to reheat hasselback potatoes:
1. Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees.
2. Cook hasselback potatoes for 5 minutes or until heated through.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 726Total Fat: 51gSaturated Fat: 31gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 144mgSodium: 1321mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 25g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.