Try making air fryer chicken wings with baking powder for extra crispy skin! Easy, ready in 25 minutes, and perfect to serve with your favorite dipping sauces.
Looking for an ideal game day snack or appetizer that’s delicious AND delivers a big crunch in every bite? Say hello to air fryer chicken wings with baking powder!
These wings are all about getting that deep-fried crispiness without the extra oil or fuss. The secret? Baking powder. Yep, this pantry staple is about to become your favorite wingman (pun intended)!
Dive into these wings any time you’re craving something savory and extra crispy that can be customized to your heat preference.
Whether you like ’em mildly spicy or tear-inducing, these wings have you covered.
How to Make Air Fryer Chicken Wings with Baking Powder
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F.
STEP TWO: Pat the chicken wings dry with paper towels to remove any excess moisture.
STEP THREE: In a large bowl, combine the chicken wings, baking powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Evenly coat the wings by tossing them thoroughly.
STEP FOUR: Place the seasoned chicken wings in a single layer in your preheated air fryer basket and cook them at 400 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until they are cooked through and crispy.
STEP FIVE: As soon as the crispy air fryer wings come out of the air fryer, sprinkle them with grated parmesan cheese. The heat from the wings will help the cheese melt and stick to the wings.
STEP SIX: In a separate bowl, toss the cooked wings in honey hot sauce to your preferred level of spiciness.
STEP SEVEN: Garnish crispy air fryer wings with fresh chopped herbs like parsley or cilantro if desired, and enjoy!
Tips for Making the Best Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Pat the chicken wings thoroughly dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture and get the crispiest wings possible.
- Place the wings in the air fryer in a single layer, avoiding overcrowding.
- Start checking on your wings at the 15-minute mark to make sure they aren’t overcooking.
- Sprinkle parmesan as soon as the wings come out, so the residual heat will help it melt and stick perfectly.
- Start with a small amount of the hot honey, tasting as you go and adding more as desired.
More Air Fryer Wing Recipes
- Air Fryer Breaded Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings with Dry Rub
- Air Fryer Whole Chicken Wings
- Garlic Parmesan Wings in the Air Fryer
Variations for Air Fryer Fried Chicken Wings
- If you’re not in the mood for hot honey, toss your crispy wings in BBQ, honey garlic, or even a zesty lemon pepper glaze.
- Experiment with different cheeses, like Romano or Asiago, for a unique twist.
- Swap out the garlic and onion powder for any of your favorite seasoning blends.
- Skip the sauce altogether if you want to enjoy the pure crispy goodness of the wings.
- For a fiery kick, sprinkle in some chili flakes or cayenne pepper when seasoning.
Can I Coat the Wings in Cornstarch Instead of Baking Powder?
Making crispy air fryer chicken wings with cornstarch instead of baking powder will give you a slightly different result.
The cornstarch forms more of a breading, while baking powder helps the exterior of the chicken get extra crispy.
How Long to Cook Air Fryer Wings with Baking Powder
Be sure to check on the wings at the 15-minute mark and adjust the cooking time as needed to prevent overcooking.
Your wings are ready when they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. I like to check the temperature using an instant-read thermometer.
How to Store Leftover Air Fryer Fried Chicken Wings
Leftover air fryer wings with baking powder can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They should be enjoyed within 3-4 days.
How to Reheat Air Fryer Chicken Wings with Baking Powder
To reheat leftover wings, cook them in the air fryer at 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes. You want them to be heated all the way through and crispy.
What to Serve with Crispy Air Fryer Wings
More Game Day Air Fryer Recipes:
- Air Fryer Cauliflower Wings
- Air Fryer Fried Pickles
- Buffalo Chicken Taquitos
- Air Fryer Jalapeno Poppers
- 2 pounds chicken wings, split into drumettes and flats
- 2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 cup honey hot sauce (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- chopped fresh herbs
- lemon or lime wedges
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F.
- Pat the chicken wings dry with paper towels to remove any excess moisture.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken wings, baking powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Evenly coat the wings by tossing them thoroughly.
- Place the seasoned chicken wings in a single layer in your preheated air fryer basket and cook them at 400°F for 20-25 minutes or until they are cooked through and crispy.
- As soon as the crispy air fryer wings come out of the air fryer, sprinkle them with grated parmesan cheese. The heat from the wings will help the cheese melt and stick to the wings.
- In a separate bowl, toss the cooked wings in honey hot sauce to your preferred level of spiciness. I recommend starting with a smaller amount and adding more, if needed, tasting as you go.
- To enhance the flavor of your crispy chicken wings, garnish them with chopped fresh herbs (such as parsley or cilantro).
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 874Total Fat: 59gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 32gCholesterol: 197mgSodium: 1806mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 2gSugar: 19gProtein: 42g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.