Craving perfectly cooked bratwurst without the hassle of the grill? Discover how to cook brats in the oven and enjoy tender, flavorful sausages every time!
Craving bratwurst but don’t want to deal with the hassle of grilling them? Learn how to cook brats in the oven with this easy and foolproof method!
The secret to this oven baked bratwurst recipe is the combination of tender brats, caramelized onions, and smoky bell peppers. As the brats roast in the oven, they absorb the savory juices from the vegetables, resulting in mouthwatering flavor in every bite!
Whether you’re hosting a backyard barbecue, planning a casual weeknight dinner, or cheering for your favorite sports team, this oven method ensures that your brats turn out perfectly for any occasion. No grilling required!
How to Cook Brats in the Oven
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cover a rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray or cover with parchment paper.
STEP TWO: Spread the onions and peppers on the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat, season with salt and pepper, then spread the veggies evenly around the outer edges of the pan.
STEP THREE: Arrange the bratwurst in the middle of the peppers and onions, leaving at least 1-inch between each sausage.
STEP FOUR: Bake for 15 minutes.
STEP FIVE: Carefully flip the brats, stir the veggies a bit, then bake for another 20-25 minutes, until the brats are browned to your liking. Optionally, you can broil the brats for 2-3 minutes at the end.
STEP SIX: Cool slightly before serving as desired.
What to Serve with Oven Baked Brats
- Air Fryer French Fries
- Air Fryer Pierogies with Onions
- Air Fryer Potato Chips
- Air Fryer Shishito Peppers
- Cheese Curds
- Instant Pot Potato Salad
How Long to Cook Bratwurst in the Oven
Oven-roasted brats will finish cooking in 35-40 minutes. Just be sure to flip them at the halfway point so they cook as evenly as possible. Don’t forget to stir the veggies, too!
Not using veggies? Reduce the cooking time to 20 minutes total, flipping the bratwurst halfway through.
For even browner bratwurst, you can turn the broiler on high for the last 2-3 minutes of cooking. Just keep an eye on the brats to make sure they don’t burn. You may also need to adjust the cooking time based on the specific brand and thickness of the bratwurst you’re using.
Tips for Making the Best Baked Bratwurst
- Use high-quality bratwurst such as Johnsonville for the best flavor and texture.
- Leave at least 1-inch of space between each bratwurst to ensure they cook evenly.
- Feel free to customize your toppings! Serve the brats on hoagie rolls with sauerkraut, mustard, onions, or any of your favorite condiments.
- For a spicier twist, consider using flavored bratwurst like jalapeño cheddar. Beer-infused varieties are also delicious!
- Don’t skip the step of caramelizing the onions and peppers. They add depth of flavor and complement the bratwurst perfectly!
More Delicious Game Day Recipes
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Loaded Tater Tots
- Bacon Cheese Fries
- Bacon Wrapped Air Fryer Jalapeno Poppers
- Buffalo Chicken Pasta Bake
More Sausage Recipes
- Air Fryer Brats
- Air Fryer Chili Cheese Dogs
- Air Fryer Italian Sausage with Peppers and Onions
- Bacon-Wrapped Hot Dogs in the Air Fryer
- BBQ Hot Dogs
- Chicken Sausage in the Air Fryer
- Sausage Balls Without Bisquick
- Sausage in the Air Fryer
- Smoked Sausage in the Air Fryer
- 5 uncooked bratwurst
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- SERVE WITH: hoagie rolls, sauerkraut, or your favorite toppings
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Cover a rimmed baking sheet with foil (spray with cooking spray) or parchment paper.
- Spread the onions and peppers on the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat,
- Season with salt and pepper, then spread the veggies evenly around the outer edges of the pan.
- Arrange the bratwurst in the middle of the peppers and onions, leaving at least 1-inch between each sausage.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Carefully flip the brats, stir the veggies a bit, then bake for another 20-25 minutes, until brats are browned to your liking.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 414Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 1222mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 17g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.