Dreaming of restaurant-style potato skins at home? This recipe for air fryer potato skins is your golden ticket. Add all your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Get ready for the best air fryer potato skins! These crispy bites of potato goodness are a surefire crowd-pleaser, perfect for parties, game nights, or simply satisfying your snack cravings.
The air fryer takes these potato skins to a whole new level by giving you that satisfying crunch on the outside while keeping the insides soft and flavorful.
Whether you’re a fan of classic cheesy toppings or you prefer to get creative with your garnishes, there are endless possibilities to customize your potato skin experience.
This easy recipe combines the convenience of air frying with the comforting, classic flavors of loaded potato skins.
It’s a win-win that’s great for impressing your guests or treating the family to some irresistible snacking!
How to Make Air Fryer Potato Skins
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Cut the cooled baked potatoes in half lengthwise. Use a small spoon to carefully remove the potato from the inside, leaving about a ½-inch rim of flesh.
STEP TWO: Preheat the air fryer to 380 degrees F. Spray the inner basket with cooking spray.
STEP THREE: Brush or spray the inside and outside of the potato shells with oil. Generously season with salt and pepper.
STEP FOUR: Place the potato skins in the air fryer basket in an even layer, skin side down.
STEP FIVE: Air fry potato skins for 10 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking time.
STEP SIX: Flip the skins so the hollowed-out half is upright. Divide the cheese evenly between each of the potato skins.
STEP SEVEN: Air fry for 5 more minutes or until each potato skin is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
STEP EIGHT: Transfer the hot skins to a plate, then load them up with sour cream, bacon, and green onions or chives. Serve warm with ranch dressing for dipping.
What to Serve with Air Fried Potato Skins
Potato skins are a classic appetizer that goes well with a variety of dishes.
For a heartier meal, make some air fryer buffalo chicken wings or air fryer chicken tenders to go alongside your potato skins. The spice from the buffalo sauce pairs perfectly with the creamy and savory flavors of the potato skins
How Long to Cook Potato Skins in the Air Fryer
Cook potato skins in the air fryer for about 10-15 minutes.
The cooking time for air fryer potato skins may vary depending on the size and thickness of your potatoes, as well as the brand and model of your air fryer.
Keep an eye on your potato skins while they are cooking to make sure they do not burn. If they are not crispy enough, you can always add a few extra minutes of cooking time.
Tips for Making the Best Air Fryer Potato Skins
- Ensure your baked potatoes have cooled before slicing. It makes scooping out the flesh much easier, and you won’t risk burning those fingertips!
- Potato skins love salt, so don’t be shy! Season them inside and out for that restaurant-style flavor.
- Lightly brushing or spraying the skins with oil is the key to getting them irresistibly crispy.
- Don’t overcrowd the basket. Give those potato halves their personal space in the air fryer. Overlapping may result in uneven cooking.
While cheddar, bacon, and sour cream are classic toppings, feel free to throw in some jalapeños or switch up cheeses for a yummy twist.
More Delicious Potato Recipes
- Air Fryer Baby Potatoes
- Air Fryer Fingerling Potatoes
- Potato Chips in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges
- Sliced Potatoes in the Air Fryer
What Type of Shredded Cheese Melts Best?
For the ultimate gooey and melty topping on your air fryer potato skins, go for shredded cheese, such as cheddar or mozzarella. These types of cheese have a lower melting point and will create that perfect cheesy pull when you take a bite.
You can also mix different types of cheeses together for added flavor and texture. Some tasty combinations include cheddar and pepper jack or mozzarella and parmesan.
Experiment with your favorite cheeses to find the perfect blend for your potato skins!
More Delicious Air Fryer Appetizers
- 4 medium russet potatoes, baked & warm
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- ½ cup sour cream
- Green onions or chives, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Ranch dressing, for serving
1. Cut the cooled baked potatoes in half lengthwise. Use a small spoon to carefully remove the potato from the inside, leaving about a ½-inch rim of flesh.
2. Preheat the air fryer to 380F, spraying the inner basket with cooking spray.
3. Brush or spray the inside and outside of the potato shells with oil. Generously season with salt and pepper.
4. Place the potatoes into the air fryer basket, skin side down. Air fry for 10 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking time.
5. Flip the skins so the hollow-out half is upright. Divide the cheese evenly between each of the potato skins.
6. Air fry for 5 more minutes or until potato skin is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
7. Remove the hot skins to a plate, then load them up with sour cream, bacon, and green onions/chives; serve warm with ranch dressing.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 480Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 747mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 20g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.