I have the secret to getting the best air fryer beets you’ve ever eaten – and if you have a fork, I will teach you how to do it right now.
It’s time to get a little closer, so I can tell you the trick to getting perfectly cooked air fryer beets every time. Cooked beets are tender and sweet, but if you overcook them, they become bitter. No one wants that! It’s time to let you in on a secret that works every time.
Check the beets right before your time goes off by poking them with a fork. Beets are done cooking when the fork pierces through them with ease, but they’re not mushy. If the beets still feel firm, they need another few minutes to cook.
I have a few extra tricks up my sleeve to cook beets in the air fryer with ease. And they’re incredibly simple!
How to Make Air Fryer Beets
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees F (370 degrees if your air fryer doesn’t have 5-degree increments).
STEP TWO: In a large bowl, toss the beet wedges with oil, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper until well coated.
STEP THREE: Transfer to the hot air fryer in a single layer.
STEP FOUR: Air fry the beetroot for 12-14 minutes or until the beets are tender.
STEP FIVE: Serve immediately.
Tips for Making the Best Air Fryer Beetroot
- Cut the whole beets into even-sized wedges for consistent cooking and the perfect tender texture.
- Use herbs generously so the dried rosemary and thyme can elevate the natural flavors of the beets.
- Toss the beets well in the olive oil and seasoning to ensure every wedge is nicely coated.
- Cook the beets in a single layer with some space between them to ensure they roast instead of steam.
- Use a fork to check the beets at the 12-minute mark to see if they’re tender. If not, give them 1-2 more minutes.
- Don’t overcook the beets, or they can start to burn, which causes them to turn bitter.
More Air Fryer Roasted Veggie Recipes
- Air Fryer Broccoli and Cauliflower
- Air Fryer Mushrooms
- Roasted Acorn Squash Recipe
- Roasted Air Fryer Carrots
Variations for Air Fryer Beets
- Add a dash of cayenne pepper or chili flakes for beets with a kick of heat.
- Finish the air fryer roasted beets with a sprinkle of orange or lemon zest for a fresh, zingy flavor contrast.
- Add a light drizzle of honey or balsamic reduction after cooking to give the air fryer beets a delightful sweetness.
- Swap out rosemary and thyme for your favorite dried herbs like oregano or basil for an easy flavor twist.
Is it Better to Peel Beets Before or After Cooking?
Before you air fry beetroot, you should peel the whole beets and then slice them into wedges. This will give you the best roasted exterior!
If you don’t peel the beets until after air frying, you’ll lose all that caramelization on the outside.
How Big Should You Cut Your Beet Wedges?
To ensure the beets cook all the way through without burning on the outside, you want to cut your whole beets into bite-sized wedges after peeling.
Try to slice each piece to the same size so your beets cook evenly in the air fryer.
How Long to Cook Beets in the Air Fryer
It only takes 12-14 minutes to air fry beetroot!
I recommend checking on your beets by poking them with a fork at the 12-minute mark. If they aren’t tender enough, cook for 1-2 more minutes.
Are Air Fried Beets Bitter?
Roasting beets in the air fryer should make them nice and sweet because it brings out their natural sugars. However, if beets cook too long and start to burn, they will become bitter.
Make sure you only cook your beets until they’re tender to avoid any burning or bitterness.
What to Serve with Air Fryer Beetroot
More Healthy Air Fryer Side Dish Recipes:
- Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower
- Spaghetti Squash in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Broccolini
- Air Fryer Squash and Zucchini
- Air Fryer Potato and Onions
- 1.5 pounds beets, peeled and cut into bite sized wedges
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
1. Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, toss the beet pieces with oil, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper until well coated.
3. Transfer to the hot air fryer and cook for 12-14 minutes or until the beets are tender.
4. Serve immediately!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 212Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 791mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 7gSugar: 27gProtein: 6g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.