Discover the ultimate duo of air fryer potatoes and onions – crisp, flavorful, and ready in 30 minutes flat!
Air fryer potatoes and onions is the easiest side dish!
The combination of crunchy-on-the-outside, tender-on-the-inside, flavorful potatoes, and caramelized onions goes perfectly with just about any meal.
Best of all, you only need 5 ingredients, and the air fryer is so much faster than making roasted potatoes in the oven.
It’s a game-changer for weeknight dinners and special gatherings alike.
Simple ingredients, standout flavors, and versatility make this side a winner. Serve it as a breakfast hash, a filling side with dinner, and anything in between!
How to Make Air Fryer Potatoes and Onions
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F.
STEP TWO: In a large mixing bowl, toss the potatoes and onions with olive oil, salt, and garlic powder until the veggies are well coated with the oil and seasoning.
STEP THREE: Transfer the mixture to the preheated air fryer basket and air fry the potatoes and onions for 12-15 minutes, shaking halfway through or until the potatoes and onions are tender.
Tips for Making the Best Air Fryer Fried Potatoes and Onions
- Preheat your air fryer before you air fry the potatoes and onions to ensure even cooking.
- Make sure the potatoes and onions are diced evenly, so they all cook at the same rate.
- Toss the potatoes, onions, oil, and seasonings very well until the veggies are all evenly coated.
- Avoid overcrowding the air fryer basket. You want the hot air to circulate properly to get that crispy perfection.
- Shake the basket halfway through the cooking time to help the potatoes and onions crisp up on all sides.
- Use a fork to poke the potatoes and make sure they’re fully cooked and tender on the inside.
More Air Fryer Potato Recipes
- Air Fryer Breakfast Potatoes
- Air Fryer Diced Potatoes
- Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- Air Fryer Red Potatoes
- Sliced Potatoes in the Air Fryer
- Smashed Potatoes in the Air Fryer
Variations for Air Fryer Potatoes and Onions
- Toss in some diced bell peppers for added color and a sweet contrast to the onions.
- Try using sweet potatoes for a different flavor profile and added nutrition.
- To save time, you can use diced canned potatoes. You’ll want to drain them, rinse them, then drain again before using.
- Sprinkle some grated Parmesan over the potatoes and onions in the last two minutes of cooking for a cheesy twist.
- Add a splash of balsamic vinegar post-cooking for an added depth of flavor.
- Toss your potatoes and onions with fresh herbs like rosemary or thyme before air frying for a bolder taste.
- Experiment with seasonings like chili flakes or Cajun seasoning for a spicy kick.
How Long to Air Fry Potatoes and Onions
It only takes 12-15 minutes to cook potatoes and onions in the air fryer! You want the potatoes and onions to be tender and for the potatoes to be crispy on the outside.
I recommend poking your potatoes with a fork after 12 minutes to check for doneness.
Do You Need to Soak Potatoes Before Air Frying?
You do not need to soak your potatoes prior to air frying. Wet potatoes don’t crisp up very well, so I wouldn’t recommend it.
What Kind of Onions Should You Use?
Any type of onion will work great for this air fryer recipe! I usually use yellow onions, sweet onions, or white onions that have a more mild taste.
For an added boost of flavor, you can also use red onions or even shallots.
Is it Better to Roast or Air Fry Potatoes?
I prefer air frying my potatoes instead of roasting them because it’s so much faster!
Air fried potatoes taste almost exactly like roasted potatoes, but you only need to cook them for 15 minutes.
What to Serve with Air Fryer Fried Potatoes and Onions
More Easy Air Fryer Side Dish Recipes:
- Air Fryer Baby Potatoes
- Roasted Butternut Squash in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Mushrooms
- Sweet Potato Chips in the Air Fryer
- 1 ½ pounds red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 medium onions, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F.
In a large mix bowl, toss the potatoes and onions with olive oil, salt, and garlic powder until the veggies are well coated with the oil and seasoning.
Transfer the mixture to the preheated air fryer basket and cook for 12-15 minutes, shaking halfway through., or until the potatoes and onions are tender.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 311Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 735mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 6g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.