Turn your favorite fajita dish into crispy chicken fajita wraps. These sandwiches are so easy to make ahead for lunch, and are a great way to use leftover chicken!
We’re big sandwich people in our house! I also love turning some of my favorite sandwich recipes into wraps. Wraps are bigger and tend to be a bit more filling, which is important — especially when you’re on the go but are craving a hearty lunch!
These are some of my favorite wrap recipes (made with leftover chicken!), including flavors like buffalo chicken or pesto and sundried tomato. Oh, and I can’t forget my Southwest wrap and chicken caesar wrap too!
I’m also a huge fan of fajitas, so I decided to combine two of my favorite things and come up with this chicken fajita wrap recipe. These are so easy to make ahead if you have some extra time over the weekend and want to prepare for the next week. (Here’s how to make them using leftover steak!)
With just a handful of ingredients and a little bit of prep work, you’ll have a delicious, Mexican-inspired lunch to look forward to.
Here’s what I’m going to teach you in this post:
- All of the ingredients you’ll need to make this fajita wrap recipe, plus tips on using leftover chicken
- How to put together your wrap once you’ve prepared your ingredients and fillings
- Answers to some commonly asked questions about creating crispy fajita chicken wraps!
If you’ve been on the hunt for some easy and unique cold lunch ideas, this chicken fajita wrap recipe is about to become your go-to!
How to Make this Chicken Fajita Wrap
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Cook the chicken in a pan using oil, salt, and pepper. You can also simply use leftover chicken here! Once it’s cooked, remove it from the skillet and cook the bell peppers and onions until tender. If you want to prepare it in your air fryer, you can do that too. Slice the chicken into strips.
STEP TWO: Put the chicken strips back into the skillet with your vegetables and add the fajita seasoning with some water. Mix until combined and bring to a simmer. When finished, add some fresh cilantro on top.
STEP THREE: Warm up the tortillas in the microwave and spread some refried beans onto each. Add your chicken and veggies, sprinkle with cheese, then fold into a wrap. Place a bit more oil into your skillet and add your fajita wrap seam-side down. Cook until golden and crispy on both sides!
STEP FOUR: Enjoy immediately, or let cool and place your wraps in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to dig in, enjoy cold or warm it in the microwave or on your stovetop. Serve with guacamole, salsa, sour cream, and even some steamed Spanish rice.
What Kind of Chicken Can I Use for This Recipe?
You can use any type of chicken for this recipe — even leftover chicken!
Boneless involves the least amount of work, but you could use bone-in chicken if you don’t mind the extra time it takes to remove the meat from the bone.
Along the same lines, skinless is easiest, but you could also use skin-on if you remove it after cooking. Use frozen chicken strips if you’re really strapped for time!
How to Get My Chicken Fajita Wrap Crispy in the Air Fryer
You can make the outside of your chicken fajita wrap even crispier in the air fryer! Once your wraps are assembled, place one or two inside an air fryer that has been preheated to 400 degrees F. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the outside of your wraps are baked. Repeat with the rest of your wraps!
If you toast your wrap in the air fryer, you can skip the skillet-frying step of my crispy fajita chicken wrap recipe.
How Do I Wrap Fajitas?
Place your wrap on a flat surface and then put your chicken fajitas filling in the center. Make sure not to overstuff your wrap, or it will be difficult to close.
Place one side of the wrap over the filling, and then fold in the sides. Continue to roll your wrap until it’s closed. Then, toast using your air fryer or a skillet to ensure that it stays closed!
What Are Good Toppings For Fajitas?
The possibilities are endless and it really depends on your personal preferences!
I like to load my crispy fajita chicken wraps with cheese, salsa (red or green), sour cream, guacamole, jalapeños, and of course, the filling. You can use chicken, steak, shrimp, or veggies as a fajita filling. I finish mine off with a drizzle of hot sauce!
Other Recipes You’ll Love:
- Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks
- Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Wings
- Chicken Bacon Wrap
- Leftover Steak Fajitas
- Buffalo Chicken Thighs
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders – No Breading
- 1 pound chicken tenderloins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 packet of fajita seasoning mix
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1 15 oz can refried beans
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 4 flour tortillas
- Heat oil in your pan and then cook chicken, lightly seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the skillet and add your bell peppers and onions and cook until tender, about 5 to 8 minutes. Slice your chicken into small strips.
- Add the chicken back into the skillet with the veggies and add your packet of fajita seasoning with water. Mix until it is combined, then bring it to a simmer to thicken it up. Top with fresh cilantro.
- Warm your tortillas in the microwave and spread 1 tablespoon of refried beans on each tortilla. Then top it with your fajita mix and sprinkle cheese on top. Fold into a wrap.
- Wipe out your skillet and add the last tablespoon of oil into it. Spread it evenly around your pan. Then place your wrap seam-side down and cook till golden on each side.
- Since the chicken is cooked first with just some salt and pepper, this is the perfect recipe to use up your leftover chicken. Slice it into small strips and toss with your veggies, once they are cooked.
- The refried beans kinda act like glue for your wrap. You could also skip the beans and just use sour cream.
- Make this a quick and easy lunch and serve with a steamable Spanish rice pack, some guacamole, salsa, whatever you have on hand.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 665Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 124mgSodium: 1477mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 7gSugar: 4gProtein: 52g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.