Air Fryer Salmon is cooked with the skin on to provide a nice crispy texture with garlic butter flavor.
Cooking air fryer salmon with skin creates a crispy skin while keeping the salmon flesh nice and flaky.
This easy and healthy recipe is made with butter and garlic for maximum flavor. It’s accidentally low carb and keto friendly too!
Pair it with veggies for the perfect healthy meal.
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
How to Cook Salmon in the Air Fryer
STEP ONE: Preheat your air fryer to 360 degrees.
STEP TWO: Season your salmon fillets with salt and pepper. Mix the melted butter, minced garlic, and parsley in a bowl then baste the fillets with the garlic-butter mixture.
STEP THREE: Lightly spritz your air fryer basket with oil using an EVO Oil Mister or put down a piece of parchment paper or foil.
Carefully place the salmon in the air fryer basket with the skin side down.
STEP FOUR: Air fry salmon for about 10 minutes until easily flaked with a fork
What to Serve with Air Fryer Salmon
- Air Fryer Hush Puppies
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- Air Fryer Carrots
- Air Fryer Broccoli
- Air Fryer Baby Potatoes
- Air Fryer Crescent Rolls
- Roasted Carrots and Asparagus
- Green Beans Almondine
TIPS For the Best Air Fryer Salmon Recipe
- Use wild-caught salmon for the healthiest and most flavorful salmon
- Spray your air fryer basket with a little EVOO or use a parchment round to help avoid the fish from sticking
- If using a sockeye salmon, check for doneness around 7 minutes as this cut tends to be smaller than Atlantic salmon
- Test your air fried salmon for doneness by taking a fork and slicing it into the salmon — it is done cooking when it flakes easily and when the internal temperature reaches 125 degrees and its thickest point
- Store leftover salmon in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days then use the reheating directions below
- Use salmon filets and not salmon steaks for this recipe to get the best results
How Long to cook Salmon in the Air Fryer
Air fried salmon takes about 10 minutes to cook in the air fryer.
Does Salmon Go Skin Side Down in the Air Fryer?
Yes, salmon and any other fish should cook skin down in the air fryer. This allows for even cooking and ease of removing the fish from the air fryer.
Air fryer baskets have holes in them and can cause the flesh of the fish to stick — which is why I advise using a parchment round or silicone liner when cooking salmon in the air fryer without the skin.
What Temperature Should Be in the Air Fryer?
Air fry salmon at 360 degrees for even cooking.
It is considered cooked medium at 125 degrees F at its thickest point.
Variations for Air Frying Salmon
- Add brown sugar or maple syrup for a sweetened version of this air fryer salmon recipe
- Use dijon mustard with some lemon slices for a different seasoned salmon recipe
- Create a honey glazed salmon with some honey and soy sauce marinade
- Change up the seasoning entirely with some garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, or even some Magic Salmon Seasoning
- Use sweet chili sauce or garlic chili sauce to make a spicy salmon recipe
How to Reheat Salmon in the Air Fryer
- Preheat your air fryer to 370 degrees.
- Place leftover salmon in the air fryer with the skin side down and cook for 4 minutes.
- Remove from the air fryer and enjoy immediately.
Do You Have to Flip Salmon in the Air Fryer?
No, salmon with the skin does not need to be flipped when cooked in the air fryer.
Since one side is skin and the other is flesh, salmon works best when cooked with just the skin side down.
If wanting an extra crispy skin, you can flip the salmon filet in the air fryer with 3 to 4 minutes left of cooking.
How to Cook Air Fryer Frozen Salmon Fillets
You can also try this frozen salmon in the air fryer recipe for a different flavor combination!
- Preheat your air fryer to 390 degrees and place the frozen salmon fillets, skin side down, in the basket side by side.
- Cook the frozen salmon for about 4 minutes. This should help thaw the salmon so you can season it and baste the garlic butter mixture on top.
- Now cook the recipe as normal and you have a delicious air fryer garlic butter salmon!
It’s important to thaw the grilled fish before placing an oil mixture on top so it can penetrate and bring out the flavor of the fish.
More Air Fryer Salmon Recipes
More Air Fryer Seafood Recipes
- Air Fryer Mahi Mahi
- Air Fryer Shrimp
- Air Fryer Crab Cakes
- Air Fryer Tilapia
- Air Fryer Catfish
- Air Fryer Haddock
- More Air Fryer Fish Recipes Here
Air Fryer Salmon
A delicious air fryer salmon dish cooked with the skin on and covered with a simple garlic butter sauce with no breading. It can be cooked from fresh and frozen.
- 2 (6-ounce) boneless, skin-on salmon fillets (preferably wild-caught)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh Italian parsley, chopped (or 1/4 teaspoon dried)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the air fryer to 360 degrees.
- Season the fresh salmon with salt and pepper then mix together the melted butter, garlic, and parsley in a bowl.
- Baste the salmon fillets with the garlic butter mixture and carefully place the salmon inside the air fryer side-by-side with the skin side down.
- Cook for approximately 10 minutes until salmon flakes easily with a knife or fork.
- Eat immediately or store up to 3 days using the reheating directions below.
How to cook air fryer frozen salmon fillet:
Cook frozen salmon fillets in a preheated air fryer at 390 degrees for about 4 minutes, skin side down to thaw. Then follow the recipe above as if the fish fillets were fresh.
How to reheat salmon in an air fryer:
Cook salmon in a preheated air fryer set at 370 degrees for approximately 4 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 338Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 309mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 25g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.
10 thoughts on “Air Fryer Salmon”
How do you cook Whiting Fillets in an air Fryer?
Hi Gloria, I would cook the white fish fillets at 400 degrees (preheated) for about 10 minutes. Check on them halfway through to make sure it is cooking okay.
Hello! Did you leave the salmon out on the counter after taking out of the fridge before cooking? If so, for how long do you recommend? Thanks!
Hi Lauren, I recommend getting it out about 15 minutes before you cook it. I like to take it out first thing and then get everything together and mixed, including whatever side dish I am making too.
I normally bake my salmon in the oven with butter and garlic, I added a slice of lemon to this recipe and it was delicious but next time I will air fry for 8 mins instead of 10. I used a ninja grill.
Can you use skinless filets?
Yes, you can!
Thank you for sharing this great recipe! Used Norwegian Atlantic salmon that was very even in thickness so 10 minutes was enough.
Turned out very tasty and moist.
Our new favorite salmon dish!!
Could I do the same thing with trout, although the fillets are thinner than salmon? Thank you.
Hi Dale, yes! I would watch the trout a little earlier since it’s thinner and will cook faster.