Air Fryer Hush Puppies use Jiffy corn muffin mix and jalapenos for a spicy and flavorful seafood side dish.
Hush puppies are cornmeal-based bread bites that are traditionally deep-fried.
This air fryer hush puppies recipe makes a sweet fish fry classic and turns it into an easy side dish recipe!
You can make these jalapeno hush puppies in any air fryer, including the Ninja Foodi.
How to Make Hush Puppies in the Air fryer
STEP ONE: In a large bowl, mix the Jiffy Mix, flour, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper (if using).
STEP TWO: Add the milk and egg into the mixture and mix well with a wooden spoon to combine.
STEP THREE: Add in the chopped onion and jalapeno pepper and mix just to combine.
Let the dough rest for about 5 minutes then preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees.
STEP FOUR: Carefully lay the parchment paper rounds down onto the bottom of the air fryer basket.
Using a cookie scoop or spoon, scoop small rounds into the air fryer, making sure each hush puppy does not touch.
STEP FIVE: Air fry hush puppies for about 6 minutes, flipping them with one or two minutes left to cook.
Remove the hush puppies from the air fryer and cook any remaining hush puppy batter the same way.
How to Store Air Fryer Hush Puppies
- Serve the hush puppies warm
- Refrigerate them for up to 3 days in an airtight container
- Freeze for up to 3 months (see directions below on how to cook frozen air fryer hush puppies)
Tips For the Best Hush Puppies in the Air Fryer
- Use a parchment round or silicone liner — since this is a wetter batter, the hush puppy batter can stick to the holes of the air fryer basket without one (learn more about that here)
- The hush puppy mix should be thicker than pancake mix otherwise it will run and spread in the air fryer
- Place the hush puppies in the air fryer basket with space in between them for even cooking
- Flip the air fry hush puppies with just 1 to 2 minutes left to cook. Both sides should be golden brown
How Long to Cook Hush Puppies in the Air Fryer
These air fryer hush puppies take just 6 minutes to cook in a preheated air fryer.
Variations to Homemade Air Fryer Hush Puppies
- Use the Jiffy Mix vegetarian version to keep this hush puppy recipe vegetarian
- Use sweet bell peppers instead of jalapenos for a milder pepper flavor
- Cook these jalapeno hush puppies recipe using silicone egg bite molds — They cook thoroughly, but only the tops get crispy while the sides stay soft
What To Serve with Air Fried Hush Puppies
Hush puppies are perfect when paired with air fried fish. Here are some of my favorite recipes to enjoy alongside them.
- Air Fryer Garlic Salmon
- Air Fryer Tuna Steaks
- Air Fryer Shrimp Pasta
- Air Fryer Cod with Lemon and Dill
- Air Fryer Crab Cakes
- Air Fryer Catfish with Spicy Tartar Sauce
- Air Fryer Teriyaki Salmon
- Air Fryer Mahi Mahi
- Fish Sticks in the Air Fryer
How Do You Cook Frozen Hush Puppies in The Air Fryer?
- Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees.
- Place the frozen hush puppies in the air fryer and cook for 4-5 minutes, until heated thoroughly.
- Carefully remove the hush puppies from the air fryer and enjoy!
No parchment paper is needed for making air fryer frozen hush puppies as they are already cooked.
How To Reheat Hush Puppies in the Air fryer
If you like warmed hush puppies, reheating them right before you’re ready to eat is super easy!
- Place your leftover hush puppies in the air fryer.
- Air fry frozen hush puppies at 320 degrees for about 3 minutes until they’re warmed thoroughly and enjoy!
More Cornbread Recipes
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Biscuits
- Air Fryer Garlic Bread
- Air Fryer Crescent Rolls
- Air Fryer Texas Toast
- Air Fryer Toast
- Air Fryer Okra
- 1 package of Jiffy Mix (8.5 ounce box)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons onion, diced
- 1-2 tablespoons jalapeno pepper (or sweet pepper), diced
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- Mix together the Jiffy Mix, flour, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper (if using).
- Add in the milk and egg and mix to combine.
- Add the diced onions and peppers and mix to just combine.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees and let the mix rest for 5 minutes.
- Lay down parchment paper rounds* and place drops of hush puppy dough using a cookie scoop or spoon.
- Cook for about 6 minutes, flipping with 1-2 minutes left.
- Carefully remove from air fryer and serve.
- Refrigerate for up to 7 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
*must use parchment paper or foil or the mix will stick to the air fryer basket.
To reheat from refrigerated:
Preheat air fryer to 350 degrees and cook for 3-4 minutes until heated thoroughly.
To reheat from frozen:
Preheat air fryer to 350 degrees and cook for 4-5 minutes until heated thoroughly.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 36Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 14mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.