These homemade spicy and sweet chicken wings are seasoned with a cayenne and lemon rub, then drizzled with a lemon honey sauce. Easy, quick, and delicious!
There are a few occasions at which I wouldn’t want to serve wings. They’re such a great appetizer, snack, or something to pick at on gameday or during a movie. I’ve learned how to make so many flavors over the years, but nothing beats the light, refreshing taste of lemon pepper chicken wings!
For these air fryer lemon pepper wings, I’m using my favorite McCormick lemon pepper seasoning to build a honey sauce with a kick of cayenne. The butter in the sauce is what really makes it rich. You’ll hardly be able to wait to dunk these super crispy chicken wings right into it!
How to Make Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Wings
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Preheat the air fryer to 380 degrees. (Here are some tips for preheating your air fryer if this is your first time!)
STEP TWO: Toss the chicken wings in the lemon pepper seasoning and cayenne pepper.
STEP THREE: Place the lemon pepper chicken in the air fryer basket – do not fill the basket more than halfway. Cook for 20 to 22 minutes, shaking the basket at the halfway mark.
STEP FOUR: Raise the fryer’s temperature to 400 degrees and continue to air fry for another 3 to 5 minutes until the skin gets perfectly crispy.
STEP FIVE: Meanwhile, combine the butter, lemon pepper seasoning, and honey in a small bowl.
STEP SIX: Transfer the finished lemon pepper air fryer wings to a plate and brush the honey sauce over top.
How to Make Lemon Pepper Wings in the Air Fryer
Prepare the wings by separating them into wings, drumettes, and flats (the middle part of the wing between the drum and the tip). Pat them dry with a paper towel so the seasoning can really stick.
The key here is to arrange the wings in a single layer and to crank up the temperature for the final 5 minutes to make sure they’re all evenly cooked and mouthwateringly crispy!
While the lemon pepper chicken wings are frying, you can prepare the lemon honey sauce. You can also prepare it ahead of time – it will keep in the fridge for 2 weeks or so – to save a bit of time.
What to Serve With Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Wings
- The bar classics are celery sticks, blue cheese, and/or ranch dressing.
- A creamy yogurt-based dipping sauce made from Greek yogurt, some lemon juice, spicy brown mustard, and a bit of honey (if you want some more sweetness).
- Your favorite dipping sauce!
- Frank’s or another thick and slightly sweet hot sauce like Sriracha.
How Long Do Wings Take to Cook in the Air Fryer?
It shouldn’t take longer than 30 minutes to make lemon pepper air fryer wings.
However, don’t skip making two batches if it looks like they won’t all fit. It’s better to go for two rounds with the wings in a single layer than risk undercooked chicken.
Tips for Preparing Lemon Pepper Wings in the Air Fryer
- You can make air fried lemon pepper chicken wings with cornstarch or baking powder to achieve extra crispy skin. Simply mix it in with the dry rub.
- Highlight the lemony flavor by adding lemon zest and lemon juice to the honey – extra points if you let it sit in the refrigerator overnight to really soak in the citrus.
- Season the wings and refrigerate them for up to a day if you’d like to get a jumpstart on meal prep. Adding the seasonings to a bit of oil turns this dry rub into a marinade if you really want to maximize the flavor!
Variations of Lemon Pepper Air Fryer Wings to Try
- Make lemon pepper wings in the air fryer from frozen — if you don’t have fresh chicken wings just preheat to the same temperature and cook for 25 minutes. Then, follow the same steps for increasing the temperature to 400 and cooking for another 5 minutes. Here are some full directions for frozen wings in the air fryer.
- Try air frying the honey lemon sauce onto the wings like a glaze.
- Use onion powder, garlic powder, and cayenne as an alternative to the pre-made McCormick dry rub Or, if you want the same lemony flavor, combine lemon zest, black pepper, and sea salt.
- Any seasoning blend (like our taco seasoning!) can act as a dry rub.
How to Reheat Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Wings
Any leftovers will last in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Leftover air fryer lemon pepper wings already covered in sauce are best to reheat in an air fryer pan to save yourself a bit of a mess.
Preheat the fryer to 350 degrees and cook them for just 2 to 3 minutes until they’re warmed through.
Learn more about reheating wings in the air fryer here.
More Air Fryer Appetizers
- Air Fryer Smoked Sausage
- Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- Air Fryer Cauliflower Wings
- Air Fryer Pigs in a Blanket
More Air Fryer Chicken Wings Recipes
- Air Fryer Boneless Wings
- Air Fryer Buffalo Wings
- Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan Wings
- Air Fryer Whole Chicken Wings
- BBQ Chicken Wings in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Dry Rub Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Chicken Wings in the Ninja Foodi
- Air Fryer Breaded Chicken Wings
- 30 Air Fryer Chicken Wing Recipes to Try
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken wings, drumettes and flats separated and tips discarded
- 2 teaspoons McCormick lemon pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
For the Lemon Pepper Sauce
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon McCormicks lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Preheat your air fryer to 380 degrees.
- Coat the chicken wings with lemon pepper seasoning and cayenne pepper.
- Place the lemon pepper wings in the air fryer, filling it no more than halfway full. Cook for 20-22 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through cooking.
- Increase the temperature to 400 degrees and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes to get a nice crispy skin on the chicken wings.
- While the chicken wings are cooking, mix the melted butter, additional lemon pepper seasoning, and honey in a bowl.
- Remove chicken wings from the air fryer and drizzle the lemon honey sauce on top. Enjoy!
How to Reheat Chicken Wings in the Air Fryer
1. Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees.
2. Place leftover chicken wings in your air fryer (I recommend using an air fryer pan if they already have sauce on them) and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until warmed.
3. Remove leftover wings from your air fryer and enjoy!
How to Cook Frozen Air Fryer Chicken Wings
1. Preheat your air fryer to 380 degrees.
2. Place frozen chicken wings in the air fryer and cook for about 25 minutes. Increase the temperature to 400 degrees and cook for 5 additional minutes.
3. Remove the chicken wings from the air fryer, add the lemon honey sauce on top, and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 462Total Fat: 36.2gSaturated Fat: 12.6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8.8gCholesterol: 154mgSodium: 866mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 31.2g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.