This chocolate cream cheese frosting is light and fluffy with layers of sweet chocolate flavor and a touch of tanginess from the cream cheese. It tastes great on so many different baked goods!
My homemade chocolate cream cheese frosting recipe is easy to make and is the best way to bring any cake to the next level.
Made with melted chocolate, cocoa powder, and rich cream cheese, it’s silky smooth and loaded with mouthwatering chocolate flavor!
This creamy chocolate frosting offers a combination of sweetness and tanginess that is truly hard to beat! Plus, it comes together in just 5 minutes.
This recipe is so easy that you can even invite the kids in to help you out.
Whip a batch of this chocolate cream cheese frosting and turn your next cake recipe into the talk of the town!
How to Make Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave the chopped dark chocolate in 30-second bursts. Stir after each interval and repeat until the chocolate is smooth and completely melted. Set the bowl aside.
STEP TWO: Fit your stand mixer with the paddle attachment and add the cream cheese and butter to the bowl. Cream the two ingredients together for about 1 minute until well combined and creamy.
STEP THREE: Now pour the melted chocolate into the bowl with the cream cheese and butter. Beat the mixture until the chocolate is fully blended.
STEP FOUR: Make sure to turn your mixer to the low speed and then slowly start adding in the cocoa powder and powdered sugar. Keep mixing on low until the dry ingredients are mixed in.
STEP FIVE: Stir in the vanilla and salt and turn the mixer up to medium-high. Whip the frosting for about 2 minutes until it is light and fluffy.
Note: This recipe makes enough chocolate frosting for 12 cupcakes or one 9×13-inch sheet cake. If you are making a double-layered cake with two 8 or 9-inch cakes, you’ll want to make a double batch.
Tips for Cream Cheese Chocolate Frosting
- Use melted chocolate and cocoa powder for the best results. Melted chocolate adds smoothness and sweetness, while the cocoa powder adds a balancing touch of bitterness. If you try making this recipe without cocoa powder, it will come out way too sweet.
- Soften the cream cheese and butter before starting your chocolate cream cheese frosting recipe. This will help you avoid lumps and lead to a smoother frosting overall.
- Use kosher salt or sea salt to balance the flavor of the recipe. I love the sweet and salty combo! Just be sure not to use table salt. It’s a bit too salty for frosting.
- For a thicker, stiffer consistency, slowly add in a bit more powdered sugar until you get your desired results.
More Frosting Recipes
- Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting
- Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cool Whip Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream Cheese Frosting Without Butter
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Frosting
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe Variations
- Switch up your chips. Instead of dark chocolate, try making this chocolate cream cheese icing with semi-sweet, milk chocolate, or even white chocolate chips.
- Try a different extract. Instead of vanilla, try an almond, peppermint, orange, or another extract of your choice.
- Make it mocha by adding just a pinch of instant coffee to the mix.
- Make a spiced cream cheese chocolate frosting with a pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg, or pumpkin spice.
- Add your favorite mix-ins like shredded coconut, chopped nuts, sprinkles, or mini M&Ms.
How to Store and Freeze
By itself or spread onto cupcakes, chocolate cream cheese frosting can safely stay at room temperature for around 8 hours.
After that, the frosting should be transferred to an airtight container and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to a month.
What to Serve with Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing
Chocolate cream cheese frosting makes the perfect topping for cake, cupcakes, cookies, and more. It’s my go-to choice for this easy air fryer cake and is also a fantastic topping for brownies and lava cakes.
This chocolate cream cheese frosting recipe can also be used as a filling for donuts, crepes, and other pastries. You can also use them to transform regular sugar cookies into tasty holiday treats!
More Recipes With Cream Cheese
- Easy Cream Cheese Fruit Dip
- Sweet Potato Cream Cheese Pie
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Dip
- Strawberry Crunch Cheesecake
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 brick (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick (½ cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Place the chopped dark chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval, until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Set aside to cool.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the softened cream cheese and butter together until well combined and creamy– about 1 minute.
- Pour the melted dark chocolate into the cream cheese and butter mixture and beat until the chocolate is fully incorporated.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Continue mixing on low speed until the dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Stir in the vanilla and salt and then increase the speed to medium-high and whip the frosting until light and fluffy– about 2 minutes.
- Use immediately and enjoy!
- This recipe makes enough to generously frost 12 cupcakes or a 9x13-inch sheet cake. If making a layer cake (two layer 8-inch or 9-inch), double the recipe.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 184Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 52mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 1gSugar: 31gProtein: 1g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.