This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclaimer here.
Chocolate cake filled with warm, gooey, hazelnut-and-chocolate lava is the kind of dessert you’ll want to make again and again. Best of all, these air fryer lava cakes only takes about 20 minutes from start to finish!
I am so excited to share this recipe for air fryer molten lava cakes with Nutella!
Have you ever ordered a lava cake from a nice restaurant? Perfectly soft chocolate cake with a molten center is always such a treat and feels like a truly special dessert.
So, of course, I had to find an easy way to make them at home.
Here’s what I’m going to teach you in this post:
- How to make air fryer lava cake with a Nutella center
- How to safely use ramekins with your air fryer
- What kind of toppings you can add to your chocolate lava cake
- How to store lava cakes after you’ve made them
- How to use the air fryer for store-bought frozen lava cakes
The next time there’s a special occasion that calls for an extraordinary dessert, or if you just want to treat yourself to some chocolate-and-Nutella goodness, you have to give these air fryer lava cakes a try.
Love desserts? Try out these other easy desserts to make in the air fryer!
How To Make an Air Fryer Lava Cake with Nutella
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Preheat air fryer to 370 degrees.
STEP TWO: In a medium microwave safe bowl, add the butter and chocolate. Heat in 30 second increments until completely melted and smooth.
STEP THREE: Add the eggs, vanilla, salt, flour, and powdered sugar, then whisk to combine.
STEP FOUR: In a separate bowl, add the Nutella, butter, and powdered sugar. Mix well using a fork until combined.
STEP FIVE: Prepare two ramekins with non-stick spray. You do not want to use PAM, as it can damage the non-stick surface. I recommend an oil mister.
STEP SIX: Fill each ramekin with the cake batter until half full.
STEP SEVEN: Add half of the Nutella filling in the center of each ramekin, then top off with the remaining cake batter. Ensure the filling is covered.
STEP EIGHT: Gently place the cakes in the air fryer and cook for 8 to 11 minutes.
STEP NINE: Carefully remove the cakes, then set them on a wire rack for 5 minutes to cool.
Then, run a butter knife around the outside edges of the cake and flip onto a serving plate.
STEP TEN: Top with ice cream and chocolate syrup and serve! (I like to use Hershey’s dark chocolate syrup, but it’s also fair to say that I’m chocolate obsessed)
Is It Safe To Use Ramekins In The Air Fryer?
Yes it is! In fact, you can use anything oven-safe in the air fryer.
An air fryer is basically like a mini convection oven that allows food to cook faster with 360-degree air circulation. As far as I’m concerned, it’s magic for your kitchen.
If you’re looking for ramekins, I recommend these Bellemain Porcelain ramekins. They’re inexpensive and work great in the air fryer.
How To Safely Remove Ramekins From The Air Fryer
When it comes to this recipe, the only thing that should be molten is the Nutella lava filling!
To easily and safely remove the ramekins from the air fryer after the lava cakes have finished cooking, I recommend using:
- A long oven mitt with a thumb – this will allow you to get a good grip on the cakes without risk of burning yourself.
- A canning jar lifter – these would work great as well!
You can use anything that helps you safely and securely transfer the ramekins out of the air fryer and onto a cooling rack.
What Toppings Are Good For Air Fryer Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes?
Once you’ve made such an amazing dessert, it’s time to add the cherry on top! And by that, I mean your favorite toppings… which could definitely be cherries.
- Hershey’s Dark Chocolate Syrup – this is my go-to for adding an even richer flavor. As I already mentioned, I LOVE chocolate on chocolate.
- Whipped Cream – A nice, cool, fluffy whipped cream will go so nicely with your cake. And it looks pretty, too!
- Vanilla Ice Cream – The combination of hot and cold is always a winner.
- Fresh fruit – A few raspberries, blueberries, some fresh strawberries, or (of course) a nice cherry would be perfect on top.
Can You Store Air Fryer Lava Cakes?
You bet! Just make sure to remove the cakes from the ramekin first.
After that, you can store them in an airtight container. They will stay fresh in the fridge for a few days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months!
Any notes on reheating?
Will This Method Work for Pre-made Frozen Lava Cakes?
Absolutely! Even though the prep for these lava cakes is very minimal, it can still be nice to save yourself a step by going the premade route.
- Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees.
- Transfer the frozen lava cake into a greased ramekin. I find cooking them in ramekins works the best to avoid any of the chocolate liquid oozing out.
- Cook for 10 to 12 minutes then carefully remove the ramekins from the air fryer.
- Flip the lava cake onto a plate and allow to cool for a few minutes, add your toppings, and dig in!
Other Air Fryer Dessert Recipes You’ll Love:
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
For the Nutella Filling
- 2 tablespoons Nutella
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Preheat your air fryer to 370 degrees.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, add the chocolate chips and butter and heat on 30-second increments until completely melted and smooth, stirring during each interval.
- Add the eggs, vanilla, salt, flour, and powdered sugar to the bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, mix the Nutella, softened butter, and powdered sugar.
- Prepare the ramekins by spraying them with oil and fill each one-half full with the chocolate chip mixture. Add half of the Nutella filling in the center of each ramekin, then top off with the remaining chocolate chip mixture making sure the Nutella is covered.
- Carefully place the lava cakes into the air fryer and cook for 8 to 11 minutes.
- Carefully remove the lava cakes from the air fryer and allow them to cool for 5 minutes. Take a butterknife and run around the outside edges of the cake and flip out onto a serving plate.
- Top with ice cream, chocolate syrup and/or other toppings and enjoy!
How to Make Frozen Lava Cakes in the Air Fryer:
1. Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees.
2. Transfer the frozen lava cake into an oven-safe ramekin and cook for 10-12 minutes.
3. Flip the lava cake onto a plate, let cool for a few minutes, add toppings, then enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 776Total Fat: 51gSaturated Fat: 32gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 262mgSodium: 575mgCarbohydrates: 77gFiber: 4gSugar: 62gProtein: 10g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.