Chocolate Cool Whip is made with a combination of whipped cream and chocolate pudding mix, giving it a light and airy texture with bursts of chocolate flavor in every bite.
Picture having a creamy, fudgey frosting to top off your favorite desserts in just a few simple steps!
With this chocolate Cool Whip frosting, you can create a delicious and impressive dessert in no time.
Not only is it tasty and versatile, but it’s also budget-friendly and requires minimal ingredients. Plus, you can easily adjust the chocolate flavor to your liking by choosing between milk or dark chocolate pudding mix.
Whether you’re a busy parent looking to add a special touch to family gatherings or someone simply craving a sweet treat, this frosting is a game-changer!
- 3.9 ounce packet of instant pudding mix
- Cocoa powder – unsweetened
- Vanilla extract
- 8 ounce Cool Whip tub
How to Make Chocolate Cool Whip
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the chocolate pudding mix and cocoa powder until they’re nicely blended.
STEP TWO: Add the milk and vanilla extract to the mixture, then whisk again until it becomes smooth and thickened.
STEP THREE: Once your mixture is smooth, it’s time to fold in the Cool Whip. Gently combine it with the chocolatey goodness until everything is fully incorporated.
STEP FOUR: Dollop this delightful chocolate frosting on your favorite desserts or use it as frosting for cakes and cupcakes, adding a delicious touch to your treats.
Tips for Chocolate Cool Whip Frosting
- Use high-quality cocoa powder for the best flavor. It makes a noticeable difference in the final taste.
- Thaw whipped topping first. Let the Cool Whip sit in the refrigerator overnight or float it in a bowl of cool water for up to an hour. It comes frozen, so you’ll need it to be fully softened for this recipe to work!
- But use cold milk! This should come straight from the refrigerator in order for the pudding mixture to set up properly.
- Fold in the Cool Whip — don’t whisk it! Use a sturdy spatula and a gentle hand just until combined in order to maintain that delightfully fluffy texture.
- Taste the mixture as you go along. Adjust the cocoa or sugar levels if needed to suit your preferences.
- Add it to cooled desserts. If you’re using chocolate whipped cream as a frosting, make sure your cake or cupcakes are completely cool before applying. This prevents the frosting from melting.
More Recipes with Cool Whip
- Cool Whip Fruit Dip
- Cool Whip Cream Cheese Frosting
- Easy Peanut Butter Pie
- Fruit Salad with Cool Whip
- Orange Dreamsicle Salad
- 3 Ingredient Banana Pudding
- No Bake Cheesecake with Cool Whip
Variations to Chocolate Cool Whip
- Strawberry Chocolate Cool Whip: Add a burst of berry goodness by folding in strawberry puree. The natural sweetness of strawberries pairs wonderfully with the chocolate.
- Banana Chocolate Cool Whip: Mellow out the cocoa powder with banana pudding instead of chocolate!
- Mocha Cool Whip: Enhance the chocolatey goodness by dissolving instant coffee granules in the milk mixture. The subtle coffee flavor adds depth to your frosting, making it perfect for coffee lovers.
- Cinnamon Chocolate Cool Whip: Infuse a warm and cozy feeling into your frosting with a touch of ground cinnamon. This spice complements the chocolate, giving your desserts a comforting, aromatic twist.
- Black and White Cool Whip: Instead of the traditional chocolate pudding mix, swap it with a white chocolate version for a fun twist.
- Purely Customizable: Feel free to play with different flavored pudding mixes and different flavors of Cool Whip. There are so many delicious combinations to choose from!
How Long Does Chocolate Whipped Cream Last on Cakes?
The texture of chocolate cool whip will soften over time, but the pudding mixture in this version helps keep it stable for at least 3-4 days.
Cakes frosted with chocolate whipped cream should be stored in the refrigerator. Keep well covered so your dessert doesn’t dry out!
How Should I Store Leftover Chocolate Cool Whip Frosting?
To keep your leftover chocolate Cool Whip fresh, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
It will keep for 3-5 days, so you can enjoy it with any future dessert creations.
What to Serve with Chocolate Whipped Cream?
More Chocolate Dessert Recipes
- Chocolate Covered Pecans
- Edible Brownie Batter
- Chocolate Kiss Cookies
- Condensed Milk Brownies
- Air Fryer Chocolate Cake
- 1 3.9 ounce packet instant chocolate pudding mix
- ¼ cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 8 ounce tub cool whip, thawed
- In a large bowl, whisk together the chocolate pudding mix and cocoa powder.
- Add the milk and vanilla extract and whisk until smooth and thickened.
- Fold in the cool whip until fully combined.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 248Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 437mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 2gSugar: 27gProtein: 3g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.