Make Tuesday so much better with this flavorful cheesy Taco Lasagna recipe.
I love Taco Tuesdays, but how many weeks can you have normal tacos for dinner without getting tired of them? That’s why I created this Cheesy Taco Lasagna recipe for the ultimate comfort food.
It’s made like a traditional lasagna bake but tastes like taco heaven.
We make this whenever family or friends come over. It’s perfect for a Pot-luck dinner and takes minimal effort.
You can even make most of it ahead of time and just stick it in the oven when you’re ready. Yep, it’s that easy!
What is Mexican Lasagna Made Of?
This taco lasagna is just like regular lasagna with a Mexican taco salad twist.
It’s made with noodles, salsa, ground beef, and taco seasoning to taste like a taco but in lasagna form.
How to Make Taco Lasagna
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
STEP TWO: Heat a saute pan on medium heat. Add the ground beef and cook, occasionally stirring, until the ground beef is no longer pink.
Add water and a packet of your favorite taco seasoning to the ground beef and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until the water evaporates and the seasoning is mixed thoroughly.
Drain out any liquid and remove the pan from heat and set aside.
STEP THREE: Take out a 13×9 pan and spread a thin layer of salsa on the bottom. This keeps the pasta from getting dry and helps them not stick to the pan.
STEP FOUR: Place 3 no-boil lasagna noodles over top next to each other (or as many as needed to fill your pan. Cover it with a layer of salsa, refried beans, ground beef, sour cream, and the shredded Mexican cheese blend.
Put a new layer of lasagna noodles on then repeat two more times.
STEP FIVE: After the last layer, place the last 3 lasagna noodles on top. Spread an even layer of the remaining salsa on top of the noodles. It’s important they are covered as any piece left dry may dry up in the oven.
STEP SIX: Cover the Taco Lasagna with aluminum foil and bake for 30-35 minutes.
STEP SEVEN: Uncover and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes to allow the cheese on top to melt.
STEP EIGHT: Remove the taco lasagna recipe from the oven and top with dollops of sour cream. Sprinkle the remaining green onions on top.
Variations and Substitutions
- Use leftover taco meat for an easy one pan Mexican lasagna recipe
- Use corn tortillas or flour tortillas instead of lasagna noodles for a true layered taco casserole
- Use a homemade taco seasoning blend instead of storebought for a nice pop of flavor
- Substitute the sour cream with Greek yogurt for a healthier topping idea for this Mexican casserole
- Use diced tomatoes in place of salsa for a lower heat option — you can also use Mexican diced tomatoes or Rotel fire roasted diced tomatoes
- Use ground turkey or ground chicken in place of the ground beef or use lean ground beef instead
How to Store This Recipe for Mexican Lasagna
Keep taco lasagna in the fridge, covered with foil or saran wrap, for up to 3 days, Reheat prior to eating.
You can also freeze this recipe for up to 3 months.
Taco Topping Ideas
This Mexican lasagna recipe works well with all your favorite taco toppings!
- Pico De Gallo
- Avocado Crema
- Pepper Jack Cheese or Cheddar Cheese
- Taco Sauce or Enchilada Sauce
- Salsa Verde
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime Juice
- Jalapeno Slices
- Shredded lettuce
- Diced tomatoes
- Green chiles
- With cheese sauce (like nacho cheese)
What Can You Serve with Mexican Lasagna with Noodles?
This Taco Lasagne recipe works best as a main dish next to other Mexican sides like Mexican Street Corn or with tortilla chips to dip into the lasagna.
- Garlic Cheese Bread
- Air Fryer Avocado Fries
- Air Fryer Corn on the Cob
- Mexican Sweet Potato Cubes
- Air Fryer Shishito Peppers
- Roasted Carrots and Asparagus
- Cumin Rice
Other Recipes You’ll Love:
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos
- Air Fryer Shrimp Tacos
- Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
- Taco Salad with Catalina Dressing
- Mango Habanero Salsa
- Carne Asada Quesadillas
- Instant Pot Chicken Taco Bowls
- Steak Fajitas
- Chicken Fajita Wrap
- Air Fryer Nachos
A delicious twist on lasagna perfect for Taco Tuesday. It's filled with everything you love in a taco tucked between lasagna noodles.
- 12 no-boil lasagna noodles (more as needed per size)
- 1-pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 (1.25 ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 1 (16 ounce) sour cream
- 1 (24 ounce) jar favorite salsa
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 2 cups Mexican shredded cheese
- 3 green onions, chopped and green and white parts separated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat up a pan on medium heat. Add ground beef and cook, occasionally stirring until no longer pink. Drain out any liquid.
- Add water and taco seasoning packet to ground beef and cook for 1-2 minutes until water evaporates.
- Remove ground beef pan from stove.
- Take out a 9x13 pan and spread a thin layer of salsa on bottom, then add 3 lasagna noodles covering it. Continue to layer the lasagna as follows: salsa, refried beans, ground beef, sour cream, Mexican cheese, and lasagna noodles. Repeat until all lasagna noodles are used up.
- On the top layer, spread an even layer of salsa and Mexican cheese. Top with whites of green onions.
- Cover the Taco Lasagna with foil and cook for 25-30 minutes until heated through.
- Uncover and cook for another 5 minutes. This will melt the cheese on top.
- Remove from oven and top with dollops of sour cream and spread remaining green onions on top.
- Eat immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, reheating prior to eating.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 434Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 343mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 3gSugar: 1gProtein: 29g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.
1 thought on “Taco Lasagna”
Sounds yummy, but kinda familiar.
I’ve a had similar Mexican Lasagna using tortillas or tostadas for the lasagna noodles.
Either way, sign me up! I LOVE lasagna in any way, shape or form!!!