Easy and flavorful sweet potato and black bean tacos are made using chili lime sweet potatoes for a healthy meatless dinner option the whole family will love.
Taco Tuesday is a weekly reoccurrence in our house. It’s not often my husband and I agree on dinner for the night, but tacos are an exception. Even my daughter loves to eat these sweet potato black bean tacos deconstructed! And we’re meat eaters!
My husband devours this vegetarian taco recipe within minutes and even tells me how we should make them more often… every single time.
It’s the sweet roasted potato paired with the spiciness of the chili and cumin, then added with lime flavor.
So if it’s Tuesday or meatless Monday (or really any other day of the week), you now know what is for dinner tonight. It’s kid-friendly and the kids can top their tacos with their topping of choice.
In this post, I will teach you:
- How to roast sweet potatoes so they’re sweet and perfect for this dinner
- Delicious topping ideas
- Tips for the best sweet potato black bean tacos you’ve ever had
- What to serve with the tacos
How to Make Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos
STEP ONE: Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
STEP TWO: Start making the roasted sweet potatoes by peeling your sweet potatoes and cutting them into ½ inch chunks. Combine them in a bowl with chili powder, cumin, and lime juice.
STEP THREE: Spread the sweet potato cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast them for 25 to 30 minutes, flipping halfway through. You can also make these sweet potatoes in the air fryer using the directions here.
STEP FOUR: Heat up the tortillas using the directions below and dice up the Roma tomatoes into ½ inch chunks and microwave or cook the corn per the directions on the package.
STEP FIVE: In the last 5 minutes of cooking, spread the black beans across the pan and let them heat up. Sweet potatoes are done when they are tender, and a fork can easily pierce through them.
STEP SIX: Add the black bean and sweet potato mixture and corn to the tortillas and top with diced tomatoes and other toppings as desired.
How to Warm Tortillas
How to warm tortillas in the oven: wrap the tortillas in aluminum foil and place them in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes while roasting the sweet potatoes.
How to warm tortillas in the microwave: wrap the tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave for 10 to 20 seconds until the tortillas are warmed
How to warm tortillas in the air fryer: wrap the tortillas in aluminum foil and place them in the air fryer and cook at 350 degrees for 5 to 10 minutes.
How to Store Leftover Black Bean Tacos:
Place the sweet potatoes, black beans, and corn together and place in an airtight container. Store the diced tomatoes separately, if possible.
Leftovers will store in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat the sweet potato mixture for 30 to 60 seconds in the microwave and heat up the tortillas as desired.
Topping Ideas for Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos
- Cheddar, Mexican Cheese, or Feta Cheese
- Avocado Crema
- Taco Sauce, Hot Sauce, or Sriracha
- Mild Taco Seasoning (mixed with sweet potatoes)
- Sliced avocado
- Red Pepper Crema
- Fresh Cilantro
- Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt
- Pico de Gallo
- Mango Habanero Salsa
- Pickled Onions
What to Serve with Sweet Potato Tacos
- Air Fryer Avocado Fries
- Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
- Mango Habanero Salsa
- Spanish Rice or Air Fryer Rice
- Simple Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing
Tips to Make the Best Sweet Potato And Black Bean Tacos
- Squeeze a little extra lime juice on top of the tacos before serving for an added lime flavor
- Cook the sweet potatoes until they are just easily pierced with a fork
- Use corn tortillas to keep this taco recipe gluten-free
- Pair this recipe with our 5-Minute Avocado Lime Crema for an easy way to amp up the flavor
The calories in a sweet potato taco will depend on the type of tortilla and amount of toppings included in the taco.
I find that my sweet potato and black bean tacos tend to have around 285 per filled taco.
More Taco-Inspired Recipes You’ll Love:
- Cheesy Taco Lasagna
- Air Fryer Taquitos
- Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
- Taco Salad with Catalina Dressing
- Air Fryer Nachos
- Air Fryer Shrimp Tacos
- 30 Leftover Taco Meat Recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken Taco Bowls
- Carne Asada Quesadillas
- Leftover Steak Fajitas
Mexican Sweet Potatoes
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup of corn, cooked
- 3 Roma tomatoes
- 5-minute avocado crema (optional)
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel and dice sweet potatoes into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Place in a bowl and mix with oil. Add in chili powder and cumin and mix. Add lime juice and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Cook sweet potatoes in the oven for 25-30 minutes, flipping halfway. Add the black beans evenly to pan for the last 5 minutes.
- Cover corn tortillas with aluminum foil and put them in the oven for about 10 minutes while sweet potatoes are cooking.
- Dice Roma tomatoes until 1/2-inch pieces.
- Assemble the tacos by adding the sweet potatoes and black bean mixture, tomatoes, corn, and topping it with your other favorite toppings.
- Enjoy immediately or refrigerate topping separately for up to 5 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 571Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 153mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 20gSugar: 8gProtein: 12g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.