This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclaimer here.
I love Taco Tuesdays, but how many weeks can you have normal tacos for dinner without getting tired of them? That’s why I created this Cheesy Taco Lasagna.
It’s made like a traditional lasagna but tastes like taco heaven.
We make this whenever family or friends come over. It’s perfect for a Pot-luck dinner and takes minimal effort.
You can even make most of it ahead of time and just stick it in the oven when you’re ready. Yep, it’s that easy!
How to Make Cheesy Taco Lasagna
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Cook your lasagna noodles according to the directions on the packaging. You can also use no-boil lasagna noodles, but I personally like to use the ones you boil.
Once the lasagna noodles are cooked, drain them using a colander and set to the side.
Do not rinse the noodles as it will remove all the starch from the noodles and can make them taste watery in the lasagna. You want your noodles to be as dry as possible.
While the noodles are boiling, heat up a separate pan on medium heat. Add ground beef and cook, stirring occasionally until the ground beef is no longer pink.
Look for a lower-fat or organic variety to make this Mexican lasagna a little more healthy.
Drain out any liquid. This is excess fat from the ground beef, not water.
Add water and packet of taco seasoning to the ground beef and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until the water evaporates and the seasoning is mixed thoroughly.
Remove the pan from heat and set aside.
Assembling the Mexican Lasagna
Take out a 13×9 pan and spread a thin layer of salsa on the bottom. This keeps the pasta from getting dry and helps them not stick to the pan.
Place 3 lasagna noodles over top next to each other. Cover it with a layer of salsa, received beans, ground beef, sour cream, and Mexican cheese.
Put a new layer of lasagna noodles on then repeat two more times.
After the last layer, place the last 3 lasagna noodles on top. Spread an even layer of salsa on top of the noodles. It’s important to make sure they are covered as any piece left dry may dry up in the oven.
Top with Mexican cheese and the whites of the green onions.
Cover the Cheesy Taco Lasagna with aluminum foil and bake for 30-35 minutes until heated through.
Uncover and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes to allow the cheese on top to melt.
Remove from oven and top with dollops of sour cream. Sprinkle the remaining green onions on top.
Enjoy immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, reheating prior to eating.
What Can You Serve with Mexican Lasagna?
Cheesy Taco Lasagna works great as a main dish next to other Mexican sides like Mexican Street Corn or chips to dip into the lasagna.
I also love to pair it with a nice side salad, garlic bread, or Air Fryer Asparagus.
Other Recipes You’ll Love:
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 1-pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 (1.25 ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 1 (16 ounce) sour cream
- 1 (24 ounce) jar favorite salsa
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 2 cups Mexican cheese
- 3 green onions, chopped and green and white parts separated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package. Drain and set to the side.
- While the noodles are cooking, heat up a separate pan on medium heat. Add ground beef and cook, stirring occasionally until no longer pink. Drain out any liquid.
- Add water and taco seasoning packet to ground beef and cook 1-2 minutes until water evaporates.
- Remove ground beef pan from stove.
- Take out a 9x13 pan and spread a thin layer of salsa on bottom, then 3 lasagna noodles covering it. Continue to layer the lasagna as follows: salsa, refried beans, ground beef, sour cream, Mexican cheese, lasagna noodles. Repeat until all lasagna noodles are used up.
- On the top layer, spread an even layer of salsa and Mexican cheese. Top with whites of green onions.
- Cover the Taco Lasagna with foil and cook for 25-30 minutes until heated through.
- Uncover and cook for another 5 minutes. This will melt the cheese on top.
- Remove from oven and top with dollops of sour cream and spread remaining green onions on top.
- Eat immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, reheating prior to eating.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 434Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 343mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 3gSugar: 1gProtein: 29g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.